pygmy_giant

Re: Straw poll for home print cardboard case: What printer do you have?

Mon May 07, 2012 11:54 pm

if its clear you could put it over a printed pattern and trace with a craft knife
Ostendo ignarus addo scientia.

E

Re: Straw poll for home print cardboard case: What printer d

Mon May 14, 2012 6:18 pm

lesliew wrote:One product you might like to try is a clearview presentation cover, GBC is the brand I am most familiar with but maybe sold under other names, its a bit like an acetate sheet but is frosted and about 15mil thick. You won't be able to print on it with an inkjet but can run it through a laser printer to produce the template.

It has excellent memory so holds a 90 degree fold very well and is quite rigid.  It is also easy to cut with scissors or a art knife.  We buy it by the box but a few sheets from a local copyshop won't be too costly.
That sounds interesting stuff - the template should certainly work with it. I've got some other more 'arty' case ideas in my head, which it sounds like it would be good for as well.

I've been busy with other things, and my topic subs got lost in the forum switch, but I am still working on this! I've attached a picture of the mk2 design, which has less cutting involved, and a simpler design for the ethernet port. The lid also hinges on the other side, so a ribbon cable from the GPIO can come out the tuck in flap side. Hopefully I'll have the template, and some more and better shots, plus the plans ready for download and trying out on a real Pi by the end of the week.

felix123

Tue May 15, 2012 6:08 am

I have tried another paper case, am interested in how your Punnet case turns out!

Piman

Tue May 15, 2012 9:01 am

Really like the idea for the card template.
Have you considered using a cutting machine such as the Craft Robo
eg here http://www.graphteccorp.com/craftrobo/

Many primary schools have these machines, so making a template for a Raspberry Pi box could fit well in the primary curriculum. There is also a lot of potential for art work here too.

I worked for several years on the Techlink project where secondary schools assist primary schools with CADCAM Here is an example of a video demonstrating part of a racing car project for primary schools.
http://www.techlinkinschools.com/?p=529

I believe integrating computing, programming, CAD/CAM, and design, in primary schools would be popular. Allows children to work together on different disciplines and develop their teamwork.

We developed these ideas working with the Nuffield Foundation and produced some teaching materials for primary schools http://www.techlinkinschools.com/?cat=18

Maybe there is potential here for a Nuffield Raspberry Pi Case project.
Possibility of sponsorship for schools needing resources, if there was interest in this.

andrewjoy

Tue May 15, 2012 9:12 am

I am thinking of making a case form a sheet of alu i have in the loft form an old PC case.

I hope you don't mine me modifying your design for sheet metal

E

Wed May 23, 2012 8:06 pm

I've started a new thread with a PDF for download, as I felt the title of this thread was a bit misleading now the design is up. Also, it has nicer photos ;)

felix123 - so am I! ;)

Piman - sounds a good plan too me. I'd not considered a Craft Robo as most people at home don't have one, but please feel free to use my design if it's any help.

andrewjoy - sure, I'd be very interested to see what it looks like in aluminium.

Steep

Wed May 23, 2012 8:22 pm

Don't forget you can buy A4 labels too. Print to one of them and stick it onto the material of your choice.

E

Sat May 26, 2012 2:52 pm

Steep wrote:Don't forget you can buy A4 labels too. Print to one of them and stick it onto the material of your choice.
I've never heard of A4 size labels before! Interesting...

Return to “Other projects”