DaveSemm

Caddx NX-8 alarm Monitor

Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:12 pm

Despite being a noob, I have succeeded in turning my Pi into an X10 Web based home controller. Following various directions I've found on the forums, I've installed Apache, OpenSSL, Mochad (to control X10 switches via USB to an X10 controller), and wrote a web site that lets me turn lights on and off. The site is encrypted with SSL and requires a log in, so I'm confidant enough to make some more web sites to handle home security. (I also use crontab to control the lights at specific times. On top of that, I use TightVNC to control the Pi, so it sits in the same cupboard as my home alarm, without a keyboard, mouse or screen.)

For my next project, I'd like to monitor my home alarm system, a Caddx NX-8, using a web site I will write. (It would also email me under certain conditions.) What I need to know is how to eavesdrop on the keypad controller. It has a 2 wire connection to the alarm panel, which I assume is RS232. Although comms to the keypad is 2-way, all I'm interested in (for now) is what the alarm board sends to the keypad when any zone (reed switches, PIR, etc.) opens or closes. Ideally, I'd like to use GPIO pins, rather than a USB to RS232 convertor, to listen to the comms.

Before I begin, I was wondering if anyone has done this. If not, I will begin by connecting a scope to the alarm panel keypad pins and will check out what comes down the line and take it from there...

DaveSemm

Re: Caddx NX-8 alarm Monitor

Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:41 am

FYI: It turns out using GPIO pins for RS232 is simple - it just needs a level convertor, e.g. http://www.davidhunt.ie/?p=3091.

There is also some coding required to use it for general I/O, instead of a console: http://raspberrypihobbyist.blogspot.com ... -port.html.

There is some more information on the Pi's serial ports here: http://lavalink.com/2012/04/more-on-ras ... ial-ports/.

rikb

Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:48 am

hi Dave, thanks for these posts, they are just what i was looking for, Mochad especially.

are you talking to your X10 controller via the rPi USB port, or via a GPIO->RS232 ?

rik

Gustavo_Murta

Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:58 pm

Dave ,

I searched information about CADDX alarm. The company moved to http://interlogix.com. Is this correct?
Reading about the interface NX-584, I believe it will not be that simple decode the Caddx NX-8 alarm interface. I believe that use RS-485, and the data are probably encrypted. Note that you must use this interface NX-584 to connect to your PC using RS-232 interface.

http://www.jdstechnologies.com/download ... /caddx.pdf

Look for the CaddX NetworkX TCP/IP Interface Module NX-590E, too.

http://www.smarthomeusa.com/Products/NX ... tartup.pdf

Gustavo Murta (Brazil)

Eduard

Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:50 am

Dave, did you make any progress with connecting Raspberry Pi to Caddx NX-8 ?

fipac

Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:06 pm

Hi, I'm interested on Eduard's question too. Dave, have you succeeded interfacing NX-8 that way?

cbynight

Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:08 am

Hi

I don't want to change the topic too much...instead of the serial method, I've programmed to use the aux out pins on the NX-8 into the rPi GPIO header pins. So currently I use the rPi to enable motion cams when NX-8 is armed and vice versa.

stefaanbolle

Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:35 am

Hi cbynight,

Are you willing to provide some more information on how you did this? I mean cabling and programming?

Thanks in beforehand!
Stefaan

cbynight

Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:42 am

hi Stefaan

Sure.

I used bcm2835 drivers to access the GPIOs and CURL to interface with the web cams. I have a task that monitors the high/low states and process them.

The NX-8 aux out is ~12.8v so you'll need step down to 3.3v for the rPi. I used optoisolators to be safe. Circuit wasn't so bad.

Programming the NX-8 requires the manual and hopefully the master code is still factory default for you. A lot of times it is.

I can send you my source and circuit design if you like.

stefaanbolle

Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:54 am

Thanks! That would be very kind of you!
Code is not factory default; but I know the installer code.

Thanks man!

vadelma-pi

Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:16 pm

nxgipd (https://github.com/tjko/nxgipd) allows monitoring of a NX-8 Alarm panel via RS-232 connection. This should run with minimal effort on Raspberry Pi....

N1KMP

Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:06 pm

A different approach ...

I've pondered hacking an NX8 keypad to monitor, via PI, the LED's (via opto's) and as such can see the status of the system as displayed via the LED's. You could also tie into the keypad (Opto's again) for remote arm & disarm. Pi webpages could give you remote monitor & control.

Food for thought.

Pondered this hack is the operative word here since it is a ways down my TODO list...which seems to grow faster than items accomplished.

BTW ... there is a NX590 module that provides Ethernet interface. It has home automation capability but you'll need the programming details and I have not yet searched for them. This is likely a much better way than RS232 if you can get the interface details.

mtrutsch

Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:36 pm

Hello cbynight,

I, too, would appreciate, if you could please share your code and and related wiring information.

Thank you,

Marjan :-)

"by cbynight » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:42 am
hi Stefaan

Sure.

I used bcm2835 drivers to access the GPIOs and CURL to interface with the web cams. I have a task that monitors the high/low states and process them.

The NX-8 aux out is ~12.8v so you'll need step down to 3.3v for the rPi. I used optoisolators to be safe. Circuit wasn't so bad.

Programming the NX-8 requires the manual and hopefully the master code is still factory default for you. A lot of times it is.

I can send you my source and circuit design if you like."

brimstn

Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:36 pm

I was wondering if anyone ever got Cybnight's wiring and code info for the NX-8?

I'm looking to interface mine with my Pi, I only need to detect an alarm state...I'm not entirely sure on how to go about doing this and any help would get me on the right path.
mtrutsch wrote:Hello cbynight,

I, too, would appreciate, if you could please share your code and and related wiring information.

Thank you,

Marjan :-)

"by cbynight » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:42 am
hi Stefaan

Sure.

I can send you my source and circuit design if you like."

snowsam

Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:37 pm

I love my Pi, but for this application it might be easier to use something like a Vera and the code that has already been developed and released over there: http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/board,50.0.html

They also explain pretty well how to do the serial interface there.

DocHackberry

Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:37 pm

Dave,

I'm interested in the same project. Did you ever complete this?

Japendergrass12

Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:57 pm

You can manually program the nx8 with the keypad if you have the installer code.

You can program a zone to be a key switch.(zone opens its dis-armed it closes it's armed )

You can also use the auxiliary relays at the bottom and program them to pull to ground (during an event) to enable a relay of some kind.

I've used this installing Alarms. Enable the auxiliary relays to pull to ground during a door opening and silencing the siren with the keyswitch.

Hopefully you can get something done with this info and Google.

Return to “Other projects”