modmypi
Authorised Reseller
Authorised Reseller

Re: ModMyPi Raspberry Pi Cases

Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:04 pm

I thought it was about time I opened up a discussion on the ModMyPi cases here, so if anyone has any questions they can ask away! First of all I'll give a little update on where we are with our Raspberry Pi Cases.

First of all I want to apologise for being so quiet over the last two weeks. Since the launch of the ModMyPi Raspberry Pi case we’ve been working 14 hour days (as you will know if you emailed me at 12pm) to get our cases ready for manufacture. The demand and support has been absolutely overwhelming, so I would personally like to thank everyone who emailed us to offer their support, and to everyone who has already pre-ordered.

Due to the volume of orders received, 3D printing of the ModMyPi Raspberry Pi Case has simply become unviable. At a maximum production rate of 10 cases a day we would have required a great deal more printers than we have available here to manufacture them at the required rate. Added to that is the post-processing essential to obtain the desired finish and we have an unviable production method. Not to worry though, I have a great many friends in the manufacturing business. . . .

We have therefore taken the decision to upgrade from 3D printing to injection moulding. Injection moulding requires a ‘tool’ or mould of the object to be created, usually out of solid steel or aluminium. Molten plastic is then literally squirted into the mould at a high pressure and then cooled to rapidly manufacture that object. Basically, this means we can produce more in the region of 100+ cases a day; a much more viable number.

Injection moulding does require a significant initial investment, as can be seen by the various Raspberry Pi crowd funding case projects. We decided that the initial demand warranted this investment, and a quick phone call to the bank manager later, and we have it. Hence there will be no waiting whilst we try and cobble together the funds. We have that funding ready now.

With regards to tooling, it was preferable for us to have the tool manufactured in the UK. This would both reduce the lead time (the time it takes for the tool to be prepared) and, in a small way, support the UK manufacturing industry. The lead time can be significant, anything up to around 8 weeks, but as I said, it’s all about friends in high places. We have secured a UK tool manufacturer, and we have managed to cut this lead time down to a 4 week maximum including prototyping and testing. Once this is completed we can start manufacturing them 24 hours a day 7 days a week.

There are a number of factors that led us to select injection moulding in the end:

The aesthetic quality of injection moulded parts is much higher straight out of the mould.
The quantities that we can produce are greater.
The post processing required is eradicated.
There is a greater selection of colours and materials available (I’ll hit that a bit later)
Object standardisation and precision is much higher.

With regards to finalising our designs, we have some really great news. A certain someone (who I won’t name to obvious reasons but who I am eternally grateful to) who has been included in the first batch of boards is allowing us access to their Raspberry Pi board from the very second that they receive it. I have been informed that this will be within two weeks. This means we have an opportunity to both finalise our designs on a real Raspberry Pi, and test out all the bits in our set-up kits.

So here’s a quick rundown. We have funding. We have tooling ready to be made. We have our final design and within two weeks we will have a Raspberry Pi to finalise our measurements. Basically, we are looking at a timescale of a maximum of 6 weeks from today until full scale manufacture, which will be the 25th of May.

We would also like to invite you to join us in this process. Personally I have never been so intimately involved with an injection moulding project and I will be regularly visiting the factory to obtain video footage of the entire concept to tooling to moulding process. If you’re interested I will be regularly uploading some videos to YouTube and on the ModMyPi blog. I will also look into uploading some videos of the Selective Layer Sintering Process that we are currently using to manufacture our prototypes.

Finally, the company we selected for our case manufacture has been looking at a way of integrating recycling into their manufacture process. Or rather, create a product which can focus on using recycled material. One of the materials which they regularly send off for recycling is a transparent ABS plastic, and I’ve had a great deal of requests for a transparent case. We will therefore be introducing a new Raspberry Pi Case to the ModMyPi range. The Recycled Raspberry, which will be made from 100% recycled translucent ABS plastic.

So what does this mean about the ModMyPi case design? Only one negative change, as the parts will be produced in a mould, there will be no way to add a unique case number. It is sad, but this is the trade-off unfortunately. In terms of you sending us case designs, we will still be operating the 3D printing side of the business, e.g. embossing etc. So we would still love to hear from you with regards to any projects you would like us to have a go at.

Here’s a list of the new features and changes to the ModMyPi case:

Cases now have a VESA MIS-D 75 compatible mounting option
GPIO ‘Cut-Out’ access hatch has been integrated
Increased LAN access to allow for easier RJ45 cable removal
USB Hood has been reduced to allow universal USB integration
Micro-USB and HDMI Ports have been widened to allow for overlarge connectors.
Modified  the snap fit mechanism which means it is more secure
The number of ventilation holes has been reduced to diminish any risk of dust.
The Recycled Raspberry will be available very soon.

Competition

At the moment we have a few SLS prototypes in the pipeline. Each case has a unique prototype number from 1 to 10. These cases will be modelled on a real Raspberry Pi and here’s a chance for you to win one. FYI these SLS prototypes cost around £20 each to make. . . . .

We have decided to give 5 of these cases away to you, the Raspberry Pi community. All you have to do to be entered into the draw to win one is like us on Facebook. Head over to our Facebook page hit like you're entered. The competition will close on April the 25th and winners will be announced then. http://www.facebook.com/ModMyPi

The other five cases are going on EBay as a charity auction where all profits will go to the Raspberry Pi Foundation.  This auction will run for 7 days from the date we finalise our designs, so if you’re inner philanthropist is screaming to be released, chuck in a quick bid. We’ll keep you updated on that.

Pictures of the prototypes and final designs are now available on the ModMyPi blog. http://www.modmypi.blogspot.co.uk/

I really hope that everyone is happy about this change and, as always, we are offering full refunds.

I'm getting a few more prototypes made up this weekend so I'll take some nice shiny promo pics on Monday hopefully to replace these renders.

Phew! Sorry if that was a bit of an essay!

ModMyPi

Raspberry Pi Cases for your Raspberry Pi! Unique, colourful, customisable designs available from ModMyPi now!

DaveyDude

Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:38 am

Thanks for the update!

I'm very happy to wait, and I love the enthusiasm you're putting into this venture!

Good luck!

Montala

Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:00 am

It is all looking good!

What is also encouraging is that the first 'batch' of Raspberry Pi's has already been despatched, so hopefully your 'certain someone' will receive theirs within the next few days, and you will be able to finalise your initial design.

Apart from the lucky (relatively) few, I expect that most of your customers will still receive their cases before they actually have anything to put inside it, although I assume that folk who have already ordered from you will receive theirs first anyway?

Keep up the good work!

Edit: I assume that the black and red model used for the 'wallpaper' on your blog is one of your final designs? It does look good!

HansH

Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:09 am

I only noticed that the bottom of the ethernet connector is gone…

I assume that was on purpose… ?

Ooh and let us know if for the production board you need to make adaptions...

Then I probably have to do them also...

modmypi
Authorised Reseller
Authorised Reseller

Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:30 am

@ Montala

Thanks! Yes everyone who has ordered will receive their cases in a first come first serve basis. The thing with injection moulding is that, even those who order now for instance, won't be waiting a significant amount of time before receiving their orders. Most likely the majority of people will get their cases before their Raspberry Pi's!

@HansH

One of the feedback comments we got was that it would be difficult to un-clip the LAN cable once it had been connected inside the case, hence the widening of the Ethernet port.

Yes will do, I'll probably bash a quick mock up on solidworks for those who want to make their own cases to use.

ModMyPi
Raspberry Pi Cases for your Raspberry Pi! Unique, colourful, customisable designs available from ModMyPi now!

HansH

Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:31 pm

modmypi said:

One of the feedback comments we got was that it would be difficult to un-clip the LAN cable once it had been connected inside the case, hence the widening of the Ethernet port.

Correct about the clip of the lan cable, but that sticks out 5-8 mm, so you still can make a small riser on the bottom with 1 - 2 mm thickness which will hide the open (pcb) space

modmypi
Authorised Reseller
Authorised Reseller

Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:54 pm

HansH said:

Correct about the clip of the lan cable, but that sticks out 5-8 mm, so you still can make a small riser on the bottom with 1 – 2 mm thickness which will hide the open (pcb) space

If that is the case (pun intended), then yes it will be an easy enough change to make. At the end of the day we will have to wait to test the prototypes on a real Raspberry Pi before making any changes. IMO I would say its better to have a little bit of extra room to get connectors in and out, than not enough?

I have actually just received an email from Farnell saying my own Pi should be with me next week, fingers crossed we"ll get these designs finalised sooner than first thought.

Just uploaded a video of one of the last revision prototype Raspberry Pi cases to YouTube:

feature=youtu.be

Montala

Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:04 pm

Thanks for the video.

It is indeed looking good, and I especially like the reduced ventilation holes in the base.

I am sure we are all pleased that your very own Raspberry Pi computer is on its way to you, and it will be interesting to see how different it is (if at all) from what you were expecting.

modmypi
Authorised Reseller
Authorised Reseller

Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:45 pm

Montala said:

Thanks for the video.

It is indeed looking good, and I especially like the reduced ventilation holes in the base.

I am sure we are all pleased that your very own Raspberry Pi computer is on its way to you, and it will be interesting to see how different it is (if at all) from what you were expecting.

I literally cannot wait for it to arrive, I'm as happy as a monkey in a monkey tree.

Hopefully, there will be only very minor changes required to our Raspberry Pi case, we'll have to wait and see though!

ModMyPi

E

Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:13 pm

It's looking really good, and I like the idea of using recycled materials. Looking forward to seeing the clear version.

I've read about composite plastic with natural fibres added in for injection moulding - the idea being to use less plastic and give it better strength, especially for clip fastenings, if I remember right. I've no experience with injection moulding, just throwing it in there as a thought

I'd also really appreciate knowing any measurement changes too

modmypi
Authorised Reseller
Authorised Reseller

Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:02 pm

SiR said:

It's looking really good, and I like the idea of using recycled materials. Looking forward to seeing the clear version.

I've read about composite plastic with natural fibres added in for injection moulding - the idea being to use less plastic and give it better strength, especially for clip fastenings, if I remember right. I've no experience with injection moulding, just throwing it in there as a thought

I'd also really appreciate knowing any measurement changes too

Thanks, it was simply a case of someone at the factory mentioning that they wanted to try a project with recycled materials. I asked what colours they had, and they said translucent. I put 2 and 2 together and in all honesty I just thought, why not. At the end of the day it gives more choice to everyone who want to buy a case, and it re-uses waste material, which is all good stuff.

You can indeed use natural, or any other fibres in injection moulding. The amount of choice is astounding actually. I think we'll just stick with classic old ABS for now. Its tough, durable and gives a top notch finish.

Well so far we're a little ahead of schedule in terms of measurements, as I gave myself two weeks for the Pi to arrive, as its now en route for delivery tomorrow (I will be sitting by the door all day), it looks like we've got a little jump start.

Looking at the boards, I think it will be more minor changes we require. Probably more to do with how the board and case interact more than anything else, e.g. the ledge it sits on and whether components are easier enough to access. Its the little things we need to get perfect, but I will keep everyone informed.

modmypi
Authorised Reseller
Authorised Reseller

Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:11 am

Woke up this morning to find 5 of the SLS Raspberry Pi case prototypes done, so we"ve painted them up in the colours that they will be available. More pictures available on our blog and on our facebook page.

Oops got a bit carried away. . .

mole125

Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:21 am

Nice - both the case design but also the quality and creativity of the actual photos.

modmypi
Authorised Reseller
Authorised Reseller

Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:38 pm

Thanks mole 125!

So our Raspberry Pi just arrived and. . . . . . . It doesn't fit! But that's OK , we were 99% sure that that would be the case. Good job we didn't start producing any based on the BETA spec's, then we would have looked a bit silly.

Looks like the board is a little bit wider than on Gert's layout, and a couple of the components are in (very) slightly different places. Just off to the workshop now to draw up some actual board dimensions and then I'll have a go at updating our models for a meeting with the injection moulding team tomorrow. It's all go from here

Here are a couple more pictures of the prototypes with a rather smug loooking Raspberry Pi. . . . .

MichaelB

Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:13 pm

Great case!

Do you plan to share your production Pi board dimensions to the community?

it will be useful for other case projects I guess.

kenk

Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:24 pm

I was wondering the same thing, I would like to produce my own case, and the dimensions would be very handy.

modmypi
Authorised Reseller
Authorised Reseller

Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:36 am

@MichaelB

@Kenk

Yes definitely, I'm pretty snowed under right now, so it'll be a couple of weeks before I can get a nice set of CAD drawings up.

For now the MAIN difference is the board size. On the FAQ it states that

"The Raspberry Pi measures 85.60mm x 53.98mm"

This is WRONG.

The board is 85.00 x 56.17

It is actually a few mm wider (which is the main reason it didn't fit in our prototype cases!)

HansH

Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:00 am

thx…

0.17 too wide…. bugger.  I made my cases 85.60 x 56.0

And the connector locations,  are they at the correct locations and the correct dimensions

jojopi

Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:09 am

modmypi said:

"The Raspberry Pi measures 85.60mm x 53.98mm"
This is WRONG.

The board is 85.00 x 56.17

We have known about this for months.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/for.....nical-data

I think that once statements have been made there is a reluctance to contradict them, regardless of evidence.  Perhaps the worst example in the FAQ is "The device should run well off 4 x AA cells".

modmypi
Authorised Reseller
Authorised Reseller

Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:18 am

@HansH There are some slight variations, hard to list them here as they are quite specific. Basically if you go off the beta board for connectors with those dimensions specified above and you leave a good amount of tolerance your case is most likely to fit. I assume you're using 3D printing?

Something to watch out for is that all of the connectors on my board, bar the RCA connector actually stick outside of the board by around 1mm so make sure that, if you have a ledge that the Pi sits on, there is enough tolerance to allow for this overlap.

@jojopi Unfortunately we assumed (wrongly) that the FAQ would be correct over the Gert's BETA tech drawing. At least we know for sure now. Maybe a mod will pick up on this and it will filter through and get updated?

HansH

Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:12 am

ok, thanks.... i already used extra tolerances for the holes.

rca and sound connector I am not worried because I don't use circular holes, so it can cope with large tolerance with those connectors.

Even the 0.17 extra wide is probably solveble by just smoothing the edges of the pcb.

Hope to see some production boxes soon from you !

E

Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:41 pm

Just to say thanks for taking the time to reply to my rambling and they're looking delicious!

modmypi
Authorised Reseller
Authorised Reseller

Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:45 pm

SiR said:

Just to say thanks for taking the time to reply to my rambling and they're looking delicious!

Thanks!

Here's some updated pictures of a ModMyPi Raspberry Pi Case where the Raspberry Pi  fits! Just needed a few tweeks here and there and the addition of a couple more draft angles to make it a little more injection moulding friendly. So designs are finalised at last!

monkeyra

Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:25 am

I don't suppose anyone has one of these in their hands yet (maybe pre-production?).  I'm compiling a little review section rounding up all the commercially available RPI cases that are on, or coming to market:

http://www.rpiforum.net/forum/.....y-topping/

If anyone does have one already, please let me know what you think of it
Want a FREE 4GB SD Card?

Click here for details:
http://www.rpiforum.net/forum/topic/56-raspberry-pi-tutorials-guides-how-tos-free-4gb-sd-card-for-all-submissions/

modmypi
Authorised Reseller
Authorised Reseller

Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:46 pm

@Monkeyra, PM me your address and I"ll send you one when we start production! We have a few prototypes going on ebay over the next couple of weeks in addition to the ModMyPi Raspberry Pi Case prototype winners, so there"s a few people out there with a pre-production model.

Each prototype has a unique embossed prototype number, video below

And a load of pictures available on our facebook and blog 

Return to “Other projects”