jasper199069

Re: Raspberry Pi as Time Machine for OSX Lion?

Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:49 am

Hi People,

I have done some more research,
I have found out that after a backup my raspberry went in a kernel panic.

I have reflashed a original debian (downloaded from the raspberry pi website) and installed the services again with default settings.
Now it works as charm, also i am running apache2 and mysql at the same time without problems.

I hope this helps.

Kind Regards,

Jasper

Drew

Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:30 pm

There is another guide at …
http://www.andadapt.com/2012/09/06/rasp ... e-machine/

It suggests using the 3.x version of Netatalk (grab from sourceforge). I followed this & it seems fine. The latest netatalk removes the need to do the 'defaults write' to get the network time machine to appear. It also simplifies the config files too, worth a look.

jbstanford

Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:34 pm

urfankhaliq wrote:OK its just one issue after another now!!

Now I can connect and write to the samba share from my windows and my MAC but for some reason instead of 2TB of space I only have 187.5MB of space showing!???
I've been going through trying to get it to work - I have three folders on my 2TB ext HD, one I want to share as time machine backup, the other two for other things. Seems to work except I have multiple sidebar icons :) But I have the same problem! It says I have 1.53GB remaining, which is the same as it is for the home directory, which is the same as is available on the main SD card. So, it seems as if it's reporting the sd card available remaining and not the external hd. Any ideas?

Drew

Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:49 pm

jbstanford wrote: I've been going through trying to get it to work - I have three folders on my 2TB ext HD, one I want to share as time machine backup, the other two for other things. Seems to work except I have multiple sidebar icons :) But I have the same problem! It says I have 1.53GB remaining, which is the same as it is for the home directory, which is the same as is available on the main SD card. So, it seems as if it's reporting the sd card available remaining and not the external hd. Any ideas?
Sound's like yo have a 'stale mount' e.g. When the disk fails to mount the old folder may still exist but since it doesn't point to the disk the size comes from the place that contains the folder, in this case the SD card probably contains the /media (or /mnt or wherever the disk gets mounted).

The 'mount' command should show what is mounted, see if a record exists for the TM disk. I think 'sudo mount -a' should mount the disks listed in /etc/fstab. You probably need to add or edit records for the disk to make it auto mount correctly.

Mine looks like…
cat /etc/fstab

proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/mmcblk0p1 /boot vfat defaults 0 2
/dev/mmcblk0p2 / ext4 defaults,noatime 0 1
# 500GB Time Machine disk
UUID=11aaa15d-7b36-3de0-b9d6-a8c5056e0cc4 /media/500GB hfsplus defaults,force 0 0

I'm using the UUID so that the diskname can be changed without braking things (I also have it formatted in hfs+ which may be different for you, hence the use of 'force').
'blkid' should show the UUID's for connected disks.

Search around for fstab setup - it's can be a PITA :^)

jbstanford

Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:57 am

Drew wrote:
Sound's like yo have a 'stale mount' e.g. When the disk fails to mount the old folder may still exist but since it doesn't point to the disk the size comes from the place that contains the folder, in this case the SD card probably contains the /media (or /mnt or wherever the disk gets mounted).

The 'mount' command should show what is mounted, see if a record exists for the TM disk. I think 'sudo mount -a' should mount the disks listed in /etc/fstab. You probably need to add or edit records for the disk to make it auto mount correctly.

Search around for fstab setup - it's can be a PITA :^)
Thank you so much! The 'mount' command immediately showed some incorrect parameters, and I checked the file and rearranged it to explicitly say the filetype (ext4) and then defaults, and now it works correctly. Now I just have to set the permissions, but that's simple enough.

tomw889

Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:55 am

I've got a guide on my site here.. Just got it all working yesterday. I'm even running it from another subnet.

http://www.administeria.com/raspberry-p ... ne-server/

TonyDiver

Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:04 pm

Is netatalk even necessary? Why can't you just set it up as an FTP drive and format it for mac, then choose it as the destination for backups from the TM app?

Drew

Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:31 pm

TonyDiver wrote:Is netatalk even necessary? Why can't you just set it up as an FTP drive and format it for mac, then choose it as the destination for backups from the TM app?
I don't think TimeMachine supports ftp for the url. You are welcome to try & report back if it works, it could make this a lot easier.

grit

Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:33 pm

I also have this version errror problem but don't want to switch to an extra SMB share. I suspect this has something to do with editing the afpd.service. I changed the name to 'raspi' in this file (instead of the standard 'raspberrypi', restarted both services and now I have these two servernames broadcasted on my network.

I have not solved this though, maybe this reply gives someone else a different insight in this problem...

Drew

Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:06 pm

grit wrote:I also have this version errror problem but don't want to switch to an extra SMB share. I suspect this has something to do with editing the afpd.service. I changed the name to 'raspi' in this file (instead of the standard 'raspberrypi', restarted both services and now I have these two servernames broadcasted on my network.

I have not solved this though, maybe this reply gives someone else a different insight in this problem...
If you have changed the service name you should also make sure the machine's hostname is correct.

Code: Select all

hostname
should report the current hostname, it generally needs to be the same for all services.
I think you should check /etc/hosts & /etc/hostname to ensure they have the correct name too.
Reboot if you change them or do

sudo /etc/init.d/hostname.sh stop

sudo /etc/init.d/hostname.sh start
(if I recall correctly).

Personally I find when setups like this have got in a state it's usually better to start over on another SD card. Record the commands you use in a shell script & it gets easier to repeat via copy & paste.

steve-tmq

Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:35 am

First sorry for the spelling I am dislex......

A lote of the problems I see in the posts come down to some basic missunderstanding of networking, Opperatting Systems and Computers so I put hear some things to help people understand things as understand what you need to do and NOT do is the start on the road to sucess.

I have this setup working;

Raspbmc (XBMC) + Netatalk + SAMBA
MacBook Pro + Snow Leopard
PowerBook + Leopard
Windows 98 on PC laptop
Windows 7 on MacBook Pro
Unbuntu on PC
Unbuntu on Laptop

WIFI + wired network + ADSL internet

All can see the SAMBA shared disc/folder/directory
TimeMachinne can see and use the Netatalk shared disc/folder/directory

To do all this you have to remember:

The three OS's are all diferant from each other so:

Easy networking Windows to Windows, Linux to Linux and Apple to Apple
Not so easy Windows to Linux, Linux to Windows, Apple to Linux, Linux to Apple
Harder Windows to Apple
Very hard All to All

A shared disc/partision/direroy/folder is not the same as a local one how the partision/disc is formated dose not matter to the meachin that is using it, it looks like a network disk no matter if it ext2,ext3,ext4, fat, ntfs or anything else.

Windows has it's owen sharing protocals that SAMBA is desined to emulate/understand and interact with.
LINUX/UNIX has NFS (Network File System)
Apple Has AFS
SAMBA works well for Linux to Windows
NFS works well for Linux to Linux
Netatalk works well for Linux to Apple

FTP is not good for file sharing it's only meant for up and downloading files to small directory stucturs like a webserver

Linux is the only one that seems to work well with all systems

Time Machine is OS X only and seems to only work well with other Apple producs but Netatalk on linux will work for Time Machine to do it's job.

Time Machine is NOT on windows there are better backup services.

You can use/install SAMBA, NFS and Netatalk all on linux but setup one at a time and be cerfel of user names and password. for SAMBA for instance it is often forgoten that each user needs to run smbpasswd on there account on the linux meachin for windows to beable to login and use the share.

remember the above before you start installing.

good luck

Return to “Other projects”