CJRPi

Re: Who's Interested In FM/DAB/DAB+ Radio? (Car RasPi?)

Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:20 pm

I managed to save the video when it was available so here it is reuploaded. Im just trying to help here so credit goes to thread starter.

http://www.filefactory.com/file/6gaby0f ... Verona.MOV

CJRPi

Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:24 pm

Just to add, Halfords is selling the DAB radio for £8.50

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_237503

Non are stocked around my area but you might get lucky and able to buy one locally.

pmyteh

Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:02 pm

That's very helpful - thanks! I'm currently experimenting with running the radio in its default (master) mode, as I can't work out how to reflash it. In principle, it should be possible to switch the input, lcd display and audio out circuits between the pi and the guts of the donor radio. At the moment, I'm having a little difficulty working out what the interface is for the LCD in the Philips radio, but it's advancing slowly.

If anyone has done any of this, or can tell me how to reflash the radio module using the serialmmi firmware, I'd be very grateful if they could get in touch.

CJRPi

Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:48 pm

Get the correct firmware by asking around I suppose? and you will need a programmer or build one like the one here

http://dybkowski.net/content/en/node/15

Connect it up and thats it.

Dabbler

Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:37 pm

If people are still interested in connecting a DAB radio to the 'pi', there is an easier option than the verona.
It had been mentioned earlier by 'tooth' and is a KeyStone T2_L4A_8650C based unit, by Monkeyboard in Australia.

It can now be purchased from coolcomponents in the UK.

I thinking about using a pi to 'help out' as part of a project to install an Android tablet into my car. The pi would be used to control the radio board on behalf of the tablet.

tooth

Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:15 pm

I bought the monkey radio from ebay sometime back and been struggling to get it work on the pi. It however works well in Windows. Yesterday I received and email from monkeyboard that they have release a beta driver here http://www.monkeyboard.org/tutorials/78 ... ital-radio

It works on my Raspberry Pi model B following the instructions. Anyone has their source code for the library?

Dabbler

Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:19 pm

If you contact MonkeyBoard and sign the Non-disclosure Agreement, they will provide you with the source code. Really easy to do.

tooth

Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:24 am

Thanks Dabber, got it.

SpaceMonkey1966

Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:54 pm

Been after a Venice 6.5 or 7.0 module for a while. Does anyone know of any cheap radios out there with one in that I could butcher.

ollo

Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:43 am

Hi,

I recently bought a Terratec Noxon DAB stick. Has anyone tried to get it working on the Pi yet?

CJRPi

Fri May 03, 2013 5:01 pm

SpaceMonkey1966 wrote:Been after a Venice 6.5 or 7.0 module for a while. Does anyone know of any cheap radios out there with one in that I could butcher.
What is your project? because it can make a lot of difference if you will need a 6.5, 7, 9 or the Verona in slave or sermmi mode.

There is a German site that talk about the module used in radios, I don't quite remember the site but let me know if you're still interested and Ill dig it out and post it here.

therealeasterbunny

Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:14 am

Hi,

Just catching up with things after uni.

I'm thinking about making an in-car MP3 player.

I currently have:

- R-Pi
- 7" Composite connectable LCD screen
- USB to serial converter

Now looking to add radio!

Does the OP or repliers know what make / model the Halfords DAB radio was for £19.99? Was it a Philips AE5010?

Many thanks.

PS, if I get the project off the ground, I'll be posting progress in a new thread :)

CJRPi

Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:19 am

You can check this thread

http://www.mp3car.com/hardware-developm ... s-168.html

You can download the firmware there. You can get the Argos Value range of DAB radio.

ccfj1

Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:45 pm

Any news on this?

I'm looking at DAB for a BMW i-bus project so any info about a DAB module (especially the venice/verona from the argos DAB radio), would be ideal.

TIA

Turbon

Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:20 am

Hi.

I bought a Philips AE5252 to reuse the verona module. I have tried to find info about the verona pinouts since the info on mp3car doesn't comply. It seems as the pio's are software controlled so atleast some pins can be reprogrammed regarding functionality. So far I have followed the PCB of the radio to get the veronas pin functions in an ae5252.

When done I can build my own PSU's and use some other LCD and buttons. As a starter I will use the builtin CS4344 as a DAC since it is capable of 24/192 but later use something better (maybe - after all this is radio...:) ). It would be cool to get the hands on FS DAB SDK but I can't find a place to get a copy... I would like to get the Philips references out...

Anyone who has information that would be nice to know? The whereabouts of the SDK ;) ?

Regards
Last edited by Turbon on Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Turbon

Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:49 pm

Hi.

Trying to find fitting replacements for the LCD.

Looking at the pins with an oscilloscope the following is present.

Pin #

1: 3,3V
2: Data - pulses are between 3V -> 0V starting at 3V from Verona pin 16
3: -"- from Verona pin 13
4: Data - pulses are between 0V -> 3V starting at 0V from Verona pin 7
5: -"- from Verona pin 10
6: GND
7: 3V
8: 6V
9: Square wave, 60us 3VPP starting at 3V up to 6V
10: Square wave, 60us 3VPP (0-3)

Sorry to say I can't look for phase since one of the probes seems to be broken.
Does anyone recognize the signals and can point out a protocol for this LCD?

Regards

Turbon

Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:05 pm

It seems to be a Newhaven COG type LCD using the SPI protocol.

Regards

Turbon

Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:33 am

The Verona didn't have an Atmel processor, the atmel part is a serial memory module . The processor is a proprietary Kino3 IC from Frontier Silicon. No info available for that part...

So far I have figured out the buttonworks on Verona pin 25/26, the audio out on 3/5 and the LCD SPI part on pins 7/10/13/16. There are also a number of NC pins namely 8/9/12/15/17/21/23/24, GND on 4/6/14/22. Note that the NC pins are not connected on this radios main PCB! These pins have probably functions not implemented such as S/PDIF, 8ch I2S and so forth. Powerpins are 1=1.2V and 2=3.3V. Maybe pin 18 should be considered a power pin since it is taken down to 2.6V by an R-net and the buttonpins shows 2.4V - coinsidence? Maybe. I still have to follow traces on the Verona module to see if there are any clues. Left are a few pins (4) I have to think about - I have no clue yet of their workings.

There is another thread on DIYAUDIO in parts about the LCD - I believe I have found if not the specific part but almost certain the pin functions of the LCD.

The DAC part of the Verona is built on a CS4344 24/192 capable chip. The datasheet is available on the net so interfacing to a better chip is easy.

And there we go - soon we can DIY our own DAB+/FM/RDS capable radio tuners but to get full control of everything the Verona can do we need the SDK! :D

Regards
Last edited by Turbon on Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Turbon

Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:32 am

The functions of the buttons are activated thru grounding pin 25 or 26 thru the following resistors:

Pin 25:
Menu/Scan 33R
Down 1k2
Up 5k6
Sel/Info 18k
5+ 33k
Vol+ 68k

Pin 26:
DAB/FM 33R
5/10 1k2
4/9 5k6
3/8 10k
2/7 18k
1/6 33k
Vol- 68k

I don't know what happens if we use other values. The Verona might enter some mode we get trapped in and it can (probably) be put in the bin.

So 4 pins left to examinate and Frontier Silicon is still silent. :(

Regards

Turbon

Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:25 pm

Feels as I'm on my own? Cmon - someone has to have dissected it before me...
Just pins 18, 19 and 20 to be explained in the scope of AE5252 (and probably a bunch of other cheap DAB radios...) . 18 might be an power in pin of 2,6v - nothing shows of another function so I'll go with that. The scope showed 0v on pin 19/20 but they are connected to circuit on the PCB. Maybe they have other values at startup as mute functions until a channel has been found and decoded. I will check but not for a while...

Regards

Turbon

Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:48 pm

Ok, the last pins are my own. ;) You are on your own now.

Paul Webster

Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:46 pm

There is a thread about doing this sort of thing over at ...
http://www.mp3car.com/hardware-developm ... s-160.html
Includes some info about pi outs and perhaps would give you some people to contact.

Turbon

Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:17 pm

Thanks Paul but they use the Verona in slave mode - I have no clue of getting into it. The pins changes function depending on mode - versatile if you know the function. I am mostly interested as a starter to understand it in master mode. When that is done and implemented as I want it I'll get another one for experiments. I tried to open an account today but no SMS so far with the registration code. Maybe I can waken ibf up who seems to know a bit of the modules. But then again the Verona is said to be the most sold DAB module in the world and noone knows or is willing to share anything? Dangerous I would say. These things should be built on open standards with software source code available to the public. Anyone who desire and have the knowledge should be able to check that there isn't any triggers for selfdestruction when times needs radio and so forth. The customer should also be in control of the advertisments - switch them on or off.
Well the ads are of lesser importance but the function is crucial!
I believe I will have a look at what the EBU dictates if I am able to understand what they have written:)

Thanks anyway - I thought I was completely alone... :D

Regards

jcbmania

Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:54 pm

Hello Turbon,

I have an Venice 6.2 module here. Did You successfully controlled the module via the RPi?

I know, my module does have more pins, but i don't think, that there are so many differences in addressing the LCD.

Thanks in advance,

JCB

Cjay

Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:39 pm

Thread necromancy at its best but is there anyone still here who has experience with the Frontier Silicon Verona modules?

I have a few which I'd like to use with a Pi as part of a car entertainment system and need some advice about the firmware on them?

Return to “Other projects”