greyswitch

Re: Ice Cream Sandwich

Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:23 pm

Hi,

Because Andriod Smartphones use Arm Processors I was wondering if you could run "Android 4 - Ice Cream Sandwich" on the Raspberry Pi

Thanks for any info

BigPete

Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:26 pm

From the FAQ:

Will it run Android?

If someone in the community can port a version of Android to work with 256MB of RAM, then it’ll run on the Raspberry Pi.

greyswitch

Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:17 pm

How can you alter ICS or any other Distro to run on "Raspberry Pi"?

And where can I get the source code or a compiled version of ICS?

shirro

Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:29 pm

greyswitch said:

How can you alter ICS or any other Distro to run on "Raspberry Pi"?

And where can I get the source code or a compiled version of ICS?

If you need to ask these questions here you probably don't have the knowledge required to get Android running on the Pi yourself. It is a job for experienced software engineers. If you wait until some people with Android development experience get a Pi who knows what might happen (probably not a lot).

Until then you can buy a device with about the same hardware capabilities as a Pi running Android 2.3 with a case, touch screen and mobile phone built in for the cost of a few Pi and see what the performance is like. I have one. It is ok for simple things but it is very slow and it tends to lock up or crash if you push it too hard.

Oh, and the source is at http://source.android.com/

ghans

Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:17 pm

I thought ICS had been ruled out long ago ?
Even the guys at xda-developers said it would be a PITA with 512 MB RAM -- we"re speaking of 224 MB (FB) ?
Note that ICS has fancy transitions and such - and HW accelaration would be done like , only after it is too late ?

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

super-6-1

Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:08 am

well i can see a android 2.3 version being ported over. MAYBE a 3.0 but ICS maybe a little more tricky. You need HW acceleration and with the driver closed off this will be hard to do. Not to mention you have to write most to all the hardware code yourself. Not to mention the kernal and what not. Most phone i know that are getting ICS are ARM8 cpu's ( 1ghz up official) so i say wait a while it may happen it may not.

( note: I am a advanced user of android not a coder so my info can be wrong )

cnxsoft

Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:52 am

Android 4.0 won't be ported to Raspberry Pi due to memory requirements explained above, but earlier 2.x versions might be, if a few people are motivated enough.

mike_biddell

Thu May 31, 2012 9:27 am

On the subject of Raspberry pi memory. The internal memory map has 256 mb, but there is potentially access to relatively unlimted memory on the SD card. (after all, the OS runs off that !!!). Although SD is slower than RAM, is it not just a case of organising the code to 'page' in some of the unused SD card memory. The choice of how that paging is done could minimise the speed loss downside. Does that make sense?

relentlessgeek

Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:47 am

If you really want cheap Android it would probably be better to look at something like - http://www.tgdaily.com/consumer-electro ... android-pc

There seem to be a few of these appearing. They're designed to run Android and some even claim to have versions of Android optimised for keyboard & mouse input.

The Pi was never designed with Android in mind and even if someone did get it running I doubt if it would provide a very enjoyable experience.

There's plenty of other great things to do with a Pi ;)

bredman

Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:04 am

mike_biddell wrote:On the subject of Raspberry pi memory. The internal memory map has 256 mb, but there is potentially access to relatively unlimted memory on the SD card. (after all, the OS runs off that !!!). Although SD is slower than RAM, is it not just a case of organising the code to 'page' in some of the unused SD card memory. The choice of how that paging is done could minimise the speed loss downside. Does that make sense?
Access times for SD read/write are dreadfully slow, so it is not suitable for paging.

Also, an SD card cannot be written again and again and again. After a limited number of writes, the SD card will be destroyed. This is why an SD card cannot be used for paging or swap.

Before anybody asks, there will be a problem using a hard disk for the paging. There is no direct interface to a hard disk, it must go through the USB interface so this would add unacceptable delays.

robwriter

Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:55 am

relentlessgeek wrote:If you really want cheap Android it would probably be better to look at something like - http://www.tgdaily.com/consumer-electro ... android-pc

There seem to be a few of these appearing. They're designed to run Android and some even claim to have versions of Android optimised for keyboard & mouse input.

The Pi was never designed with Android in mind and even if someone did get it running I doubt if it would provide a very enjoyable experience.

There's plenty of other great things to do with a Pi ;)
There's plenty of people who like to do things just to prove they can, not because they're a good idea!

relentlessgeek

Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:08 pm

robwriter wrote:
There's plenty of people who like to do things just to prove they can, not because they're a good idea!
That's true. And 'Because it was there' is a perfectly good reason :D

Return to “Other projects”