akou

Re: Raspberry for archaeology

Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:19 pm

Dear friends,

we are planning a project to assist archaeologists capture content from their excavations and i would like to hear if there are any ideas or similar experiences that we could take into account.

Personally i would love it if we manage to use R-Pis - my difficulty is to find a good idea and a good way to promote this idea.

Look forward to your ideas!

Ad

SN

Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:45 pm

I"m no archeologist but I imagine you"re looking for the raspi to be somekind of field computer which will be capturing info either automatically or simple data entry (I can"t really see it driving an autonomous digging/scraping robot using sensors and output device drivers)
As a field computer it needs to be reasonably rugged and offer something more than a tablet. . . I think the power requirements may do you in even without sorting a splashproof screen/keyboard/touchscreen. . .
Steve N – binatone mk4->intellivision->zx81->spectrum->cbm64->cpc6128->520stfm->pc->raspi ?

Burngate

Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:13 pm

I know it's different, but there's a thread on geology that's maybe of use

http://www.raspberrypi.org/for.....al-geology

akou

Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:33 am

Thanks to both of you! You helped me much!!

Ad

Joefish

Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:30 am

I thought this was going to be about burying one for future generations.  I think we need to plan now to ensure a trove of future discoveries to keep archaeologists in employment.

I suggest we leave a Raspberry Pi in the petrifying well in Matlock Bath until it gets a nice crunchy coating, then drop it in a tar pit somewhere...

Voelker

Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:28 am

A bit late to the game but my wife is currently taking Anthropology with a concentration in Archaeology. I just received a RPi2b for Christmas and was wondering if there is anything anybody has thought of for this type of use.

BMS Doug

Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:54 am

Voelker wrote:A bit late to the game but my wife is currently taking Anthropology with a concentration in Archaeology. I just received a RPi2b for Christmas and was wondering if there is anything anybody has thought of for this type of use.
if you added a GPS module and a camera module you could create a device that adds time/date and position stamps to all photos it takes.
You'll probably want to add a screen as well, so she can look through the photos on the device and you would need some kind of battery. Adding a Magnetometer would allow you to include the direction the camera is facing as well.
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

ghans

Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:59 am

• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

TheRayTracer

Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:16 am

BMS Doug wrote:
Voelker wrote:A bit late to the game but my wife is currently taking Anthropology with a concentration in Archaeology. I just received a RPi2b for Christmas and was wondering if there is anything anybody has thought of for this type of use.
if you added a GPS module and a camera module you could create a device that adds time/date and position stamps to all photos it takes.
You'll probably want to add a screen as well, so she can look through the photos on the device and you would need some kind of battery. Adding a Magnetometer would allow you to include the direction the camera is facing as well.
Any entry level smart phone would be more convenient and practical as they already have a camera, screen, GPS, and battery all in a form factor and price that are hard to improve. :)

Zinkeh

Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:36 am

This is somehow related to the original question.
Sometime ago I have stumbled upon this video on youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZiCB6LJ2hc

Can anyone figure out what kind of sensor and setup this build needs?

Thank you.

Return to “Other projects”