bigstick

Re: Another case design - free, but need some help

Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:48 pm

Hi,

I'm contemplating building a RPi machine (when they are available to buy again) but in the meantime, I have been working on a design for a case.

I'm planning to make this freely available to download for use with online 3d printing agencies, or for anyone who has access to the facility.

I've taken the dimensions from the SketchUp model linked here, and have what I think will be something that should work. As I don't have an RPi to test it with, the dimensions might need tweaking somewhat, so I'll need a little help with refining the details. If anyone is prepared to help, please let me know and we can start to work things out.

I have attached some images.

john_wage

Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:25 pm

That's a mighty nice looking case and I like that it will be free, hopefully someone can help you out with the dimensions.

is the keyhole on the bottom for mounting "1 screw head style"? It seems you could easily damage the device by sticking a metal screw head right up against the circuit board.

bigstick

Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:51 am

Yes the fixing in the bottom of the case allows you to simply slip the case over a screw fixing. However there should be adequate clearance for this, I introduced a 'bulge' in the case specifically to allow this.

I thought that it would be nice to have a mechanism for fixing which doesn't require removal of the motherboard

This is one of the things that I can modify if necessary. I wasn't sure where or how people might want to fix their cases. Obviously self-adhesive pads are a good option for some, but mechanical fixing is obviously another option. If there are threaded sleeves already on the back of equipment (VESA mounts for example) or furniture, this is another option that might be useful to exploit.

Here is another colour option. i.materialise have some nice 3d printing options, but I don't know how expensive they are. They are also in the US, so not as convenient for the rest of the world.

Universities and some larger schools have 3d printers, so this seems like an ideal way to build a case that seems in-keeping with the ethos of RPi.

secretreeve

Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:38 am

if your concerned about the screw shorting the board, why not either include a foam pad that adheres to the chip board or utelise a screw down base with slip on case.

like those 2 peice tv mounts that look like 2 V's that slot into each other. you screw down the base to the wall then simply slide the case onto it, or use clips.

i think a foam pad would be the easiest and cheapest option though.

JonB

Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:20 am

That is a very good looking case design - well done.

I can see the Ethernet plug being difficult to remove due to the overhang (well, really it is due to the plug being recessed!) but other than that it's a lovely clean design. Not sure about the screw hole mount myself, but in practice it isn't going to be an issue.

How is it supposed to hold together? Looks like clips in the middle of the long sides.

SN

Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:16 am

JonB said:

I can see the Ethernet plug being difficult to remove due to the overhang (well, really it is due to the plug being recessed!)

This has been a fundamental problem with almost every 'heres my lovely case' post on here - the RPF have, by misaligning the USB / Ethernet sockets, unwittingly created a great little conundrum for people.

There was only one design I've seen on here which did't have the issue of the sunket ethernet port, it had the case (in general) aligned with the ethernet port and there was a protrusion which reached out to surround the USB ports
Steve N – binatone mk4->intellivision->zx81->spectrum->cbm64->cpc6128->520stfm->pc->raspi ?

bigstick

Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:59 pm

What you can't see too clearly in these images is that I have a tapered recess to deal with this issue.

However, that said, it might still be a bit tricky to remove the ethernet plug. I'll have a look and see if I can address this without making it look fugly.

I'm also not 100% sure about the screw holes either, but for a VESA type mount mentioned in a post somewhere here, it might allow the case to be fixed to the back of a monitor.

There are indeed clips in the middle of the long sides. The principle is to squeeze the sides together slightly to remove the lid.

The main thing with this, is it's an initial sketch if you like, it will undoubtedly need a bit of refinement to work.

To start with I'm using 0.25mm tolerances for RP machines. This 'seems' about right to me, but I know that different technologies will have different tolerances.

I have a little more work to do before I upload the stl file. When that's done, I'm hoping someone with an RPi and an RP machine will test it and send me a whole series of things to fix/improve.

HansH

Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:33 pm

I don't think that SketchUp model is very correct, you better check it against Gert's mechanical measurements of the beta board.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/for.....ical-data/

I don't think you can place the top part correctly, because the hole of the rca connector..

The front and back plate are they printed seperately ?

Beware of the limitations of 3d printing, like unsupported structures, unless you can also print support material...

But it is a nice design...

If you put your design on Thingiverse, other people can try it out or help with improving it.

bigstick

Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:34 pm

You're right, I'm building a new circuit board in SketchUp, which will mean a new model. Not a problem, just a little more time.

Both parts of the case will be printed separately.

I have built some supports for the board into the lower part of the case to lift the board slightly. I'll need some dimensions for the holes in the board though. Those aren't shown on the detailed sketches.

I'm not sure how much of a problem the recessed ethernet port will be in reality. I have seen some devices that have similarly recessed sockets, but I'll see if I can make it more accessible without screwing up the design.

simonlc

Fri May 18, 2012 1:20 am

Wow this is definitely the nicest looking case I've seen so far. I hope you get your Pi soon :)

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri May 18, 2012 9:50 am

bigstick wrote:Yes the fixing in the bottom of the case allows you to simply slip the case over a screw fixing. However there should be adequate clearance for this, I introduced a 'bulge' in the case specifically to allow this.

I thought that it would be nice to have a mechanism for fixing which doesn't require removal of the motherboard
And if someone doesn't screw the screw in far enough or uses a screw with a slightly bigger head than expected then it's scraped across their Pi.

IMO unless you have several centimeters of clearance there should always be a protective layer between a keyhole mount and a PCB.

EnricoSalad

Sat May 19, 2012 11:57 am

Could the screw mounting hole be moved to the overhang? Perhaps make two smaller holes.

...or even put four of them in, one on each corner. i.e. mini bulges which double-up as small feet if not wall mounted.

Nice case though.
Enrico

Return to “Other projects”