SN

Re: Recycling old electronics for PI's benefit

Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:27 pm

SN said:

My mounting plan, whatever the box, is to make a set of blokcs (plastic or even wood) that pin the raspi board on its edges and wedge against the inside of the case on all four sides. Each block will have a slot half way up, say 1/4 inch deep, on one side into which will wedge the raspi. The blocks will be the same height as the inside of the case and will thus be locked in place top and bottom. I"m typing this on a Galaxy Tab so no pictures right now

EDIT: logged on to the linux laptop, each block will look something like this

SSo I've taken the model recently produced and rendered it with some 5mm posts (round ones rather than square ones) to see where they can be places - I think you need 2 on each edge, 8 in total.  On these diagrams the posts are 25.2mm long with a slot about two thirds down...

I don't particularly care about the case appearance, this is just a straight box out of 1mm thick sides about 91mm by 60mm
Steve N – binatone mk4->intellivision->zx81->spectrum->cbm64->cpc6128->520stfm->pc->raspi ?

bigbwashere

Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:33 am

great post, SN! that gives us all something to consider when we all get or hands on this.

I am grateful for all of you coming together to postulate the ponderings of a PI case!!!!

mole125

Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:47 am

The only issue with your design SN is that I can't work out how you would actually get the RPi into it to begin with?

Phil Spiegel

Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:18 am

The only issue with your design SN is that I can't work out how you would actually get the RPi into it to begin with?

If the case is built with a 'reprap' 3D printer, (of suitable type), you might be able to insert it during 'manufacture'  .... a true ship in a bottle solution.

bigbwashere

Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:09 pm

If it were me, I would make a slot for the pieces to go into the case. The pieces would slide down the side of the case, allowing the board to slide down with it

SANGER_A2

Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:02 pm

rurwin said:

I have also managed to destroy a soldered joint with hot glue. Mind you, I was potting it, so it was up to temperature for a while, but those SMD resistors would heat up fast.

I have to add that I have hot-glued loads of circuit boards. I do a lot of mods on my motorbike and traces can lift & connections break from the vibrations it generates. Any additions that have circuit-boards in them I cover in hot glue to make them water-proof and to protect them. So far there have been zero problems with any of them. My LED-brake light was hot-glued all over in one go and that has been working fine for 2 or 3 years. Not tried to fix them down using glue as that wouldn't last forever, but the circuits survived fine.

Mattylad

Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:12 pm

Personally I plan to use ready made PCB fittings manufactured by Richco.

All I need to do is make a hole in the case then.

SANGER_A2

Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:06 am

Mattylad said:

Personally I plan to use ready made PCB fittings manufactured by Richco.

All I need to do is make a hole in the case then.

Something like the UBM or UBMC from here?

Mattylad

Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:28 pm

Probably the one below, TCEHBCS for the corners.

I have asked for samples

Mattylad

Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:50 am

I have my samples - heck that was quick.

Either of those mentioned will do the job - I cant be sure until I get a pi to try it on.

Return to “Other projects”