cphels

Re: Mounting Options

Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:08 am

Like many I am planning on mounting the RPi to a case. However, with the lack of mounting holes (not complaining in any way, you guys have done an outstanding job keeping up with the demand and sorting out issues) securing the board to the case is something that I still have not figured out. I won't be 3D-Printing, so a snapping mechanism isn't viable.

The best option I've found so far seems to be these:

http://search.digikey.com/us/e.....-ND/394351

I don't know if there will be enough space between ports to accept these clips. Does anyone have any input on this?

Also, I'm open to any other mounting suggestions

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:01 am

No it wont. That clip is an inch wide and there is only one point on the PCB it might just fit — between the HDMI and power sockets. One point of fixing isn't much use. However it is also one inch deep, and there is nowhere you can accommodate that without fouling components.

For my DIY box I have two plans. Either I will put pillars from top and bottom to clamp the board, or I will make clips. I'll be using polystyrene sheet and Sugru.

cphels

Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:12 pm

Alright, thanks for the info. How were you planning on using the Sugru? I was looking into forming them to secure the board by the corners, but I"m concerned about looks and I don"t know how it would turn out as I"ve never worked with the stuff before.

SANGER_A2

Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:23 pm

Problem with stuff like that or using a glue gun (the budget option) is that it's pretty much permanent and hard to remove the board if you want to. I wish there were mounting holes, it would make true DIY cases that don't involve 3D-printers much easier.

I'm thinking of using rubber pads to support from underneath and cable-ties attached to the bottom of the case to hold it in place so it doesn't shift from side to side. Maybe some rubber pads on the top of the case too.

That solution is much more ghetto than I'd like. I'm sure that between all the brain-power on this forum a better solution can be thought of while still being low-cost! Sugru isn't cheap either! Although definitely very cool!

Prometheus

Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:34 pm

SANGER_A2 said:

Problem with stuff like that or using a glue gun (the budget option) is that it's pretty much permanent and hard to remove the board if you want to.

There is a workaround for this!

Sugru will not stick to clingfilm (Saran Wrap, for North American folks). If you use it to cover the parts of the board that you want to mount with the Sugru (let's say two corners, in order to make mounts from which the board can be removed), or the entire board as a whole, and then let the finished Sugru constructs cure for a bit longer than the requisite 24 hours (just to be sure it won't stick to the board when you remove the clingfilm and put the board back in the Sugru mounts), it won't be permanent.

cphels

Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:46 pm

So by letting the Sugru cure while in contact with Saran wrap, the end result will be a permanently non-stick area even after I remove the wrap? Also, what types of material will Sugru stick to in a normal state? I"m looking at using poly carbonate for the base and it would be great if it was compatible, per say, with current plans.

SANGER_A2

Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:00 pm

cphels said:

So by letting the Sugru cure while in contact with Saran wrap, the end result will be a permanently non-stick area even after I remove the wrap? Also, what types of material will Sugru stick to in a normal state? I"m looking at using poly carbonate for the base and it would be great if it was compatible, per say, with current plans.

I can see in my mind how it would work, with the circuit board resting on some sugru mounts, but it is just resting on them. You need something to stop it moving up off the sugru without using more sugru on top in a permanent solution! The cling film would stop it sticking to the board, but you still wouldn't be able to get the board out of the case without trying to rip off the sugru and possibly trashing the board.

I tried to find some example images using google to demonstrate this, but couldn't find anything useful. So I hope my rather vague description makes sense!

Prometheus

Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:15 pm

cphels said:

I'm pretty sure that Sugru sticks to most things. Their website probably has some more exact details on this, somewhere.

SANGER_A2 said:

cphels said:

I can see in my mind how it would work, with the circuit board resting on some sugru mounts, but it is just resting on them. You need something to stop it moving up off the sugru without using more sugru on top in a permanent solution! The cling film would stop it sticking to the board, but you still wouldn't be able to get the board out of the case without trying to rip off the sugru and possibly trashing the board.

I tried to find some example images using google to demonstrate this, but couldn't find anything useful. So I hope my rather vague description makes sense!

Your description makes sense.

Anyway, yes, you'd really need some sort of supports from below, perhaps at the opposite end of the board, or some other suitable place, if you were going to go with the "two Sugru blob-mounts at one end" method. That's about the only method I can think of using the stuff, that wouldn't be permanent...

cphels

Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:17 pm

So I"ve been thinking a bit more about the mounting system and a simpler way to do this all than using "Sugru blobs" What my mind stumbled upon was alligator clips. The case is designed with two 1/8" sheets of Plexiglas as the bottom layer, with the top sheet having a cutout roughly the size of the RPi. Using a total of four clips with some sort of insulation/padding on each, I should be able to secure the board.

See the picture - http://www.imgur.com/dMd15.jpg

In this case, the clips are red. This will suspend the board to over compensate for the height irregularities on the underside of the board. Does this plan appear to be OK?

If this isn"t enough explanation, feel free to ask for more. I may have missed something.

Ren

Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:37 pm

Have been wondering about using kydex.

Would probably need to fashion a model out of scrap wood or something of the board to use a form.

dawilson123

Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:23 am

I'm modding an aluminium case which I bought from China. In order to ensure that the R-Pi doesn't short on the case, I'm going to adhere 2mm thick acrylic sheet, cut to the same size as the board on to the base of the case using 2-pack epoxy. The R-Pi will then be stuck to the acrylic using these self adhesive pads: http://www.maplin.co.uk/self-a.....-pads-1897

I'm going to cut a rectangular opening through the base of the case and acrylic to accommodate the SD card holder and to enable the SD card to be removed / installed by turning the case upside down.

What do you guys think?

P.S. I don't mind if the board is strongly adhered in the case; I figure that the only reason it would need to be removed would be if it broke and if that occurs, it doesn't matter if there is further damage incurred by forcefully removing it from the case.

SANGER_A2

Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:49 am

dawilson123 said:

I"m modding an aluminium case which I bought from China. In order to ensure that the R-Pi doesn"t short on the case, I"m going to adhere 2mm thick acrylic sheet, cut to the same size as the board on to the base of the case using 2-pack epoxy. The R-Pi will then be stuck to the acrylic using these self adhesive pads: http://www.maplin.co.uk/self-a.....-pads-1897

Nice simple idea and not too permanent as those pads aren't totally permanent. Also, putting some acetone or something on them should make them un-stick very easily. You'd have to double some of them up to account for the unevenness of the board for things like the SD-card holder sticking out.

SANGER_A2

Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:49 am

SN had a nice mounting idea here that I thought I'd add to this. Combining it with the sticky pads idea should work well and be easy to get the Pi out without risk of damaging it.

Return to “Other projects”