PlinyTheElder

Simple POTS/PSTN VoIP bridge

Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:19 pm

I've been hunting around for information to help on an idea for a project that I'm considering.

What I want to do:

Connect the Raspberry Pi to a PSTN/POTS phone line and convert any incoming analog call to VoIP and enable me to answer the phone using a VoIP/SIP app on an iPhone or android smartphone.

My research so far has led me to think that it will involve using
-Asterisk (RasPBX)
-A usb modem or FXO adaptor
-Appropriate smartphone SIP/VoIP app

I have looked at FXO adaptors, and the cost seems a lot for what I want to do - which is everything as cheap as possible. I assume that if I want to use a modem that some coding may be needed to get it to work properly - unless RasPBX can handle that side of things.

Something that I also want to avoid is a call being picked up by an automated receptionist, I literally just want the app to "ring" and then be able to answer the call on the smartphone - so that there will be no difference to the person calling in. I also want it to be able to "ring" on more than one phone simultaneously.

I have seen Bananaphone which does similar to what I want - but it uses an Obihai box - which pushes the cost up, and uses an automated receptionist to filter calls.

The rationale behind this is that my current cordless phone is awful, and I am looking to replace it. I thought it would be more interesting to find out if the call can be bridged over VoIP to allow my girlfriend and I to answer incoming calls on our smartphones (and take advantage of the far superior quality of handset). Also I thought that in the future it could enable us to pick up incoming calls to the landline remotely (where we have a good wifi/3G service - I realise security could be an issue with this, so just want to set it up on my LAN first).

Has anyone already done this (I have tried to search through forums here and elsewhere and most seem to be concerned with converting your phone entirely to VoIP - something I don't want to do, as I have to have the landline to get internet anyway!)

Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas where I can start? Any help would be appreciated.

yabapolido

Re: Simple POTS/PSTN VoIP bridge

Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:24 pm

Search ebay for Linksys PAP2, they're cheap as 20 bucks. Some models have FXO and FXS ports.
You can use it as trunk in RasPBX. (Have that kind of setup at home, but using regular PC with Elastix PBX)

PlinyTheElder

Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:53 am

Thanks for the info yabapolido. I have had a look into that unit and can't find any on ebay listed with an FXO port - it seems more geared towards turning a regular phone into a voip phone which isn't quite what I'm after, as I want to convert incoming calls on my PSTN/POTS to VoIP over my LAN, maintaining the analogue phone line. I did see the Linksys SPA3102 which is more like what I'm after, but that works out at £50-£60 ($77-$93), which is more than I really want to spend. Even the PAP2s are expensive in UK, on eBay they were going for £20 ($31).

The closest thing I've found off the shelf is the Obihai OBi110, which works out at around £33 ($51). What I'd prefer to do though is have everything in one unit - ie raspberry pi with a usb FXO adaptor - to keep everything neat. I have seen a USB FXO adaptor and it was IMHO way too expensive, which is why I was hoping that using a standard USB modem and a bit of coding I might be able to make an equivalent.

yabapolido

Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:50 pm

Oh, sorry, I've mistaken the models. Yes, with FXO port is the SPA3102 :|

JLPSupport

Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:13 pm

Hi PlinyTheElder,
you may want also to get a look at http://pbxinaflash.net/ . I haven't try it yet but look pretty flexible. With that one, you'll be able to interface your pstn line once confortable with the app. Therefore all your testing will be made if you want using Google Voice ip line wich is free. Afterword, ip/analog phones can be attach to the server later on. Cool part is all phases can be made at your own speed. Finally, the application have all sort of interresting add-on. Personnaly, I will certainly have a look at it soon. I want a better control over phone managment since we're running a little business from home.

JLPSupport

qdcyet

Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:38 am

POTS/PSTN > VoIP Gateway(4 fxo/fxs)> SIP trunk> Raspberry Pi+asterisk
easy to configure.
Zoiper, a powerful free softphone, can be installed on pc, iphone and andriod. support sip&iax2.

all the cost is VoIP gateway, less than $210.

If someone is interested in it, please contact me.freely.
zxiufeng@gmail.com

goci

Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:06 pm

I am interested in this idea too.

I was wondering if there is a module for this... like the following.

http://www.abelectronics.co.uk/products ... /1-Wire-Pi

If this could handle the comms from a telephone line i.e. voltage and signals potentially via a software package, then this would provide the best solution I guess with less devices which could introduce point of failures.

Anyone knows if using such models as above would work?

sum2008

Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:21 pm

PlinyTheElder wrote:I've been hunting around for information to help on an idea for a project that I'm considering.

What I want to do:

Connect the Raspberry Pi to a PSTN/POTS phone line and convert any incoming analog call to VoIP and enable me to answer the phone using a VoIP/SIP app on an iPhone or android smartphone.

-Asterisk (RasPBX)

I have looked at FXO adaptors, and the cost seems a lot for what I want to do - which is everything as cheap as possible. I assume that if I want to use a modem that some coding may be needed to get it to work properly - unless RasPBX can handle that side of things.

Something that I also want to avoid is a call being picked up by an automated receptionist, I literally just want the app to "ring" and then be able to answer the call on the smartphone - so that there will be no difference to the person calling in. I also want it to be able to "ring" on more than one phone simultaneously.

I have seen Bananaphone which does similar to what I want - but it uses an Obihai box - which pushes the cost up, and uses an automated receptionist to filter calls.

The rationale behind this is that my current cordless phone is awful, and I am looking to replace it. I thought it would be more interesting to find out if the call can be bridged over VoIP to allow my girlfriend and I to answer incoming calls on our smartphones (and take advantage of the far superior quality of handset). Also I thought that in the future it could enable us to pick up incoming calls to the landline remotely (where we have a good wifi/3G service - I realise security could be an issue with this, so just want to set it up on my LAN first).

Has anyone already done this (I have tried to search through forums here and elsewhere and most seem to be concerned with converting your phone entirely to VoIP - something I don't want to do, as I have to have the landline to get internet anyway!)

Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas where I can start? Any help would be appreciated.

did you find any solution?
i try to do this, as you said. but i dont know how can i use fxo , fxs,... in this project.
is there any other board for Raspberry Pi, that connect Raspberry Pi to the PSTN????????
any suggestion?
thanks

Apricot

Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:23 pm

Also wondering whether you ever got this working, and if so, what hardware you used.

PlinyTheElder

Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:40 am

I never managed to get this working, but I have to admit real life(tm) got in the way! I'd really like to try something at some point though as there's still nothing really on the market at the consumer level that is suited to my purpose at a reasonable level. It would be an ideal project for a compute module to prototype a product, but I don't have the time or skills to design/build anything to that level.

add2rahul

Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:46 am

Hi,

USB adapters are too costly. I think linksys SPA3102 is cheaper than that and seems to do what we are discussing here.
It is a nice device to do it but that is not available in India.
Has anyone get it working using some other device/SW?

regards
Rahul

mateen1282

Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:05 am

PlinyTheElder wrote:I've been hunting around for information to help on an idea for a project that I'm considering.

What I want to do:

-Asterisk (RasPBX)

I am also looking for a solution of the same thing. Can you help if there is anything available in market as of now? you have mentioned the OBi 110 device. Do you know if I can connect my landline into it and then be able to answer the phones through iPhone when I am away (another country) and also being able to make phones through my landline from the iPhone application?

please e-mail me: mateen@khurshidaria.com

WolfganP

Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:13 pm

Also interested in integrating a POTS line to a Raspi based PABX. Does anyone has any tech info on this kind of low cost FXO modules (http://www.aliexpress.com/item/IIT-FXO- ... 09533.html) to see if direct interface with a Raspi can be achieved?
Thx.

Mediawiz

Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:46 am

PlinyTheElder wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:19 pm
I've been hunting around for information to help on an idea for a project that I'm considering.

What I want to do:

-Asterisk (RasPBX)

I have been thinking about doing something similar, and I would love to learn more about your project.

Return to “Other projects”