abishur

Re: Cases for the Raspberry Pi

Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:58 pm

Ntzj said:

@jawhn

I like it, but the "made in the uk" bit might need reviewing, at least for the first batch =P

Not at all!  It is by all intents and purposes made in the UK, it's just assembled in China.  I mean if Chrysler whose majority share owner is Fiat an Italian company and who is largely assembled in Canada can be an American made car, I don't see why we wouldn't consider the R-pi, a product whose conception, design, and home base is the UK shouldn't be considered made in the UK
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

jawhn

Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:14 am

Wow. You know, I hadn't even thought of that, lol.

I like Abishur's take on it, though. And my main reason for even including it on the sticker is that's how the Atari cartridges were printed, and my first impression was - this is a product of England. Even though I suppose it's made in China.

Ow, my brain.

Maybe if I changed the wording to something along the lines of "An English Product"...? I dunno. I was also tempted to not have the ® and the ™ in there... But most early Atari carts had those as well...

BTW, that Atari font is called "Harry" if anyone was wondering. Took me a while to find the correct one.

abishur

Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:47 am

jawhn said:

... and my first impression was - this is a product of England. Even though I suppose it's made in China.
Ow, my brain.

Yay for the joys of a global economy!

zag

Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:15 am

How about doing the same as Apple

"Made in China - Designed in the UK"

Oh and I've listed all the cases on my forum if you don't want to go through 40+ pages to find them this link might be better
Unofficial Raspberry Pi Forums - www.raspberrypiforums.com

Broojo02

Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:11 am

I saw this nifty thing on engadget a while ago, the iModella by Roland. You can craft your own models and the milling area is just big enough to make a case for the Raspberry Pi.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/0.....afty-tool/

It stood out to me because at $899 it is considered cheap compared to other modelling mills. You can start your own enterprise creating custom RP cases with logos etc.

thom182

Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:00 pm

Mine's probably going in a camera body. Haven't decided which one yet - Probably a holga 120. They're dirt cheap on eBay and come in all sorts of colours - even red/white. I'm hoping to use lens for the pi camera add-on too when it comes out. Then I'll have, dare I say it, the makings of a "digital-lomo" camera that I can learn to code on.

(The flash is detachable)

roelfrenkema

Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:38 pm

Well actually non of these make any use of the fact that Pi wont be generating much heat if any. I  have set my mind on something that will and will at the same time be ecstatically and Hi-Tec in fact what I got in mind I will be able to buy straight from the rack and will only need minor adjustment .... something like this:

JollyRoger

Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:35 pm

Do you remember the plastic cases that 35mm photo slides were supplied in? I've got a number of these, and the inside width of them is exactly the same as the width of the Raspi. I'm wondering if they would make a good case, with slots cut out for the Raspi's ports.

abishur

Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:08 pm

One case idea I've been thinking about a lot recently is to take a white case with a slot to hold the pcb board in place with a usb TV tuner capable of tuning to digital over the air channels tucked in next to that.

Beyond that, I hadn't decided.  I could either strip down a USB hub and tuck it in to provide enough power to run the pi, the video tuner, and a usb travel drive.  Or I could put a full fledged 3.5" hard drive in there with a cheap hard drive to usb adapter via something like this, and maybe a quiet little fan to circulate some air.

My only real hold up at this point (other than the insane cost of hard drives at the moment) is the fact that I want a nice rounded case rather than an ugly blocky one, but I don't like how much shapeways costs

eric_baird

Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:57 pm

Abishur: A VHS VCR cassette?

If it's a "video" project, and you need space for the peripherals, you could try prising open an old VHS videotape and using that as your case. Plus, you'd get a cute transparent plastic window on the top and bottom.

I don't know whether a VCR cassette would be thick enough to take the RPi's USB port connector, but if its not, you could always remove the connector and run the wires to some other type of USB strip or hub. You used to be able to get "bare" USB hub boards that fitted onto the back of a PCI panel: one of those might be good to install in a VCR-cassette, since its already designed to screw to the back of a long flat panel (and this'd free up internal port connectors for your USB tuner and harddrive while still giving you external ports for keyboard/mouse/etc).

killfalcon

Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:21 pm

More lego ideas:

from this blog: http://miriamelewis.blogspot.c.....-case.html

EJ

Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:47 am

Hi all,

very nice ideas here!

Maybe i'll build a case from a Brickadoo kit

http://www.brickadoo.com/engel.....index.html

Ssorry, i've looked hard but can't find it anywhere:

how do you mount the Pi without mounting holes?

Like the LEGO case, it's just sitting there loose inside?

Somehow i just don't get it.

HansH

Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:34 pm

EJ said:

Like the LEGO case, it's just sitting there loose inside?

Somehow i just don't get it.

The pcb of the is almost a perfect fit for Lego.

The width is exact 7 piece width (56mm), so you only need 1 custom lego piece to support the pcb

There are plenty of empty spaces under the pcb to add a flat lego piece.

example:

EJ

Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:28 pm

HansH said:

The pcb of the is almost a perfect fit for Lego.
The width is exact 7 piece width (56mm), so you only need 1 custom lego piece to support the pcb

There are plenty of empty spaces under the pcb to add a flat lego piece.

wow, very nice, thanks!

i was thinking about doublesided tape to keep it in place a little better, but it may be too sticky.

the locking thing is a very nice solution!

mobeyduck

Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:51 pm

Basicly you provide a tray were it can lie on and a small piece that lies on top of it to secure it in place. kinda the idea of the floors

EJ

Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:33 pm

Truly beautiful.

I'm looking forward to the cool cases!

riggsre

Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:00 pm

It's a bank. Perfect.

Alexand

Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:21 am

That's the ideal case for such a device.

mgmt_idiot

Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:52 am

For some purposes perhaps, but I would prefer a box with 6 sides. I would like it to be transparent so that I can see the electronics.

EJ

Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:34 pm

I like it.

If you want a clear case, maybe LadyAda will make one, I understand that maybe they will carry the Pi.

Here's a pic of a nice clear case http://www.adafruit.com/products/235
for their ice-clock http://www.adafruit.com/products/194

So maybe they'll create one for the Pi.

It would be hard to make a clear case yourself, methinks.

un753

Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:50 pm

Some years ago I saw a mini-pc with a practical and convenient "case".

http://tinyurl.com/yf37kgv

Perhaps it is a idea for a R-Pi case layout #2 or #3 ?

schneeee

Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:03 pm

un753 said:

Some years ago I saw a mini-pc with a practical and convenient "case".

http://tinyurl.com/yf37kgv

Perhaps it is a idea for a R-Pi case layout #2 or #3 ?

Geil

That would be a very cool alternative to the other cases here. Imagine how easy the RPi would mount beside a TV!

But I don't think it will be manufactured. You had to completely redesign the board of the RPi...

RMW5

Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:17 pm

Of course, the most obvious and pretty cool case for a credit card sized computer is a leather credit card holder. Just cut a few holes in the right places and you are ready to go.  The only issue is that ideally the case should cost at least twice as much as the computer:

http://www.aspinaloflondon.com.....balt-suede

mrlinux2u

Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:30 pm

Found these on ebay -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20-x.....45fd8be88d

Seems the (near) perfect size, and if you could buy them in single amounts, should be cheaper.

Cheers

mrlinux2u

mrlinux2u

Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:33 pm

typical,

also found these :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-P.....84b7e2b32c

even better fit and cheaper (but not as sturdy).

mrlinux2u

Return to “Other projects”