xavplusplus

Re: Cases for the Raspberry Pi

Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:03 am

I was thinking a simple plastic case with like bright colors and the logo in it.

XAPBob

Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:34 am

I've acquired an LTO3 after one of the drives at work decided it was hungry.

There's an awful lot of tape in one of those puppies.

Anyhow - Final plans are to block off the big circular hole with clear perspex, then route the microusb to the "write lock" door, and USB, Ethernet and HDMI to the "tape access" door.

Should be rather nice - of course I need to justify the extension cables as well

Sergi 10

Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:37 pm

Hi guys, here I present another design for a case.

It is a simple but functional design and especially economic, i will  informing you about the final price.
http://www.lanzanos.com/proyectos/rpi-box/eng/

yell

Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:40 pm

Maybe i go with a BIG LEGO Raspberry which also fit's a Switch and 2 HDD's.

xavplusplus

Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:59 am

Sergi 10 said:

It is a simple but functional design and especially economic, i will  informing you about the final price.

Exactly what I meant!

modmypi
Authorised Reseller
Authorised Reseller

Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:08 am

Raspberry Pi Cases for your Raspberry Pi! Unique, colourful, customisable designs available from ModMyPi now!

UncleDave

Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:17 am

modmypi said:

Been working hard on these case designs and would really appreciate some feedback:

I can't see how the LEDs are being exposed in any of these pics. Are you planning to use light guides or cut-outs to enable people to see the LEDs?

Thanks

UD.

modmypi
Authorised Reseller
Authorised Reseller

Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:42 pm

UncleDave said:

modmypi said:

Been working hard on these case designs and would really appreciate some feedback:

I can"t see how the LEDs are being exposed in any of these pics. Are you planning to use light guides or cut-outs to enable people to see the LEDs?

Thanks

UD.

Thanks for the question!

At the moment we will simply be using cut-outs to enable viewing of the LEDs as can be seen the image below:

The use of light guides is something we"re looking into, but so far seems a little difficult to integrate into the first batch. We want our first cases to be a sensibly priced like the Raspberry Pi and the use of light guides makes this harder to achieve.

Would you be willing to pay an extra £1 – £2 to have a light guide?

This is probably something we will offer in the future for a small premium but we are focusing on getting simple high quality cases built at the moment!

Better no promise than a broken promise

And managed to get these pictures to work (mods feel free to delete my last post):

ModMyPi
Raspberry Pi Cases for your Raspberry Pi! Unique, colourful, customisable designs available from ModMyPi now!

UncleDave

Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:48 pm

modmypi said:

Would you be willing to pay an extra £1 - £2 to have a light guide?

This is probably something we will offer in the future for a small premium but we are focusing on getting simple high quality cases built at the moment!

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Given that an extra £1-£2 will still leave your cases at under a tenner, yes I would. IMO it makes for a neater design and no chance of misreading a light. I like the way that you have a different cut out for the different lights.

UD.

modmypi
Authorised Reseller
Authorised Reseller

Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:06 pm

UncleDave said:

modmypi said:

Given that an extra £1-£2 will still leave your cases at under a tenner, yes I would. IMO it makes for a neater design and no chance of misreading a light. I like the way that you have a different cut out for the different lights.

UD.

No problem, thanks for the question, I always find that these forums are full of useful suggestions! That's also good to know that you would possibly pay a little extra for an addition like this.

It is definitely something we are looking into. If possible I would love to integrate it without a price hike. It would increase the functionality, and I agree, it would remove any possibility of people misreading lights.

I won't promise it because I'm not sure that we can realistically do it, but that doesn't mean we won't try!

ModMyPi

schneeee

Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:41 pm

I like your cases, too! Very cool.

The only thing I would find even more pretty, is a transparent top. So, a big transparent window in the top case, almost as big as the lid. That would look awesome

mole125

Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:46 pm

modmypi said:

UD.

I"m going to be argumentative and disagree
I think most people will ignore the lights almost altogether so the risk of them getting the lights confused is fairly irrelevant (most of the time for most users). Most people probably don"t need anything beyond lights on means the device is on, lights off means the power cable has come out. If some lights are flashing it is doing something, whether that is SD or Lan doesn"t really matter, more advanced users may also check that an extra light comes on when they plugin in their network cable. They probably won"t care or understand whether the LAN is 10/100 or full or duplex. if they do care and understand then they would probably be better off using linux tools to output that information rather than trying to remember which LED means which. I would agree that light guides would probably make it look prettier but I don"t think they are particularly important.

modmypi
Authorised Reseller
Authorised Reseller

Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:15 pm

schneeee said:

I like your cases, too! Very cool.

The only thing I would find even more pretty, is a transparent top. So, a big transparent window in the top case, almost as big as the lid. That would look awesome

@ Schneeee If you check out our hand drawn concepts on the website (top image which scrolls through) we are currently developing a case with a perspex top. This top will slide in and out, should be available in a variety of colours, and will be etch-able so you can write your name or put some kind of design on it! These won't be available for a while, probably the beginning of May, as we want to focus on getting the "basic" case out there first. But it's in the pipeline!

@Mole125 What we could do is offer a light guide which could clip into the case design and line up with the holes that are already there. If people want it they could buy it, if they don't, then they don't have to buy it, and they simply have the standard cut outs. If they decide at a later date that they would like to integrate a light guide, all they have to do is purchase it and clip it in. This could be a good solution?

mole125

Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:23 pm

Sounds a sensible idea to me, and probably cheapest for you too. Obviously its up to you guys ultimately in what you want to support and charge - just thought I"d offer a counter argument.

Personally I think a perspex case where you can easily see the labels next to the leds is the best approach plus I wan"t to be able to see my Pi

schneeee

Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:04 pm

modmypi said:

@ Schneeee If you check out our hand drawn concepts on the website (top image which scrolls through) we are currently developing a case with a perspex top. This top will slide in and out, should be available in a variety of colours, and will be etch-able so you can write your name or put some kind of design on it! These won't be available for a while, probably the beginning of May, as we want to focus on getting the "basic" case out there first. But it's in the pipeline!

Great! Looking forward to that, thanks for the reply

redman684

Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:16 pm

modmypi said:

Been working hard on these case designs and would really appreciate some feedback

Ah, the next 'as small as possible rectangular box'...

The first question that pops into my mind is: how will you ever be able to unplug the network? With the network connector this deep, will you be able to push the release clip?

And won't the border around the usb connector prevent the insertion of anything except the smallest usb-plugs?

And why all the air holes? With the (lack of) cooling required, these are just dust holes.

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:27 pm

All this talk of light-guides has prompted me to consider a new case design:

It would probably only work well in a dark room, and 75% of the size would only be for show, but even so…

ETA: ... and if you put a switch at the bottom of each cylinder, or maybe RFID or bar code, then inserting a crystal could make the RaspPi do something.

Zino

Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:56 pm

I am sure someone has said this already, but I am holding out for PimpmyPi!

modmypi
Authorised Reseller
Authorised Reseller

Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:04 pm

redman684 said:

modmypi said:

Been working hard on these case designs and would really appreciate some feedback

Ah, the next 'as small as possible rectangular box'...

The first question that pops into my mind is: how will you ever be able to unplug the network? With the network connector this deep, will you be able to push the release clip?

And won't the border around the usb connector prevent the insertion of anything except the smallest usb-plugs?

And why all the air holes? With the (lack of) cooling required, these are just dust holes.

Thanks, some good questions here!

The LAN connector is set back 4.5mm into the case. With the chamfering this should be enough space to push the release clip. If it does seem to be an issue, it will be easy to integrate a small chamfer, or small cut into the bottom half of the case to enable easier access. (I'll have a look at integrating this now).

With the USB connector, the 'hood' is set back 3mm and has 2mm of clearance on each side. If it does occur that this is not enough room for some USB plugs it will be easy enough to reduce the 'hood' set back and increase the edge clearance. The function of the hood is to make the unit look slightly more aesthetically pleasing and reduce any risk of catching oneself on the USB connector. I'll also have a look at increasing the clearance.

As far as I'm aware it is always a good idea to keep electronics cool. When you encase an item such as the Raspberry Pi I would rather it be too cool than run any small risk of overheating. Integrating numerous holes into the underside of the case is a way of keep a little air flowing around the unit. If the general consensus is that these are unneeded then I am more then willing to undertake a discussion into it their viability. In addition to this situating the holes on the underside of the case is a way of diminishing any risk or dust.

ModMyPi

mrlinux2u

Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:29 pm

@ModMyPi

Love the design of your case (and it's price) and will more than likely get one to try

However, have you seen Gert's mechanical data layout document (http://www.raspberrypi.org/for.....nical-data) that shows the RCA plug is actually higher up than the 3.5mm audio jack as your renderings seem to have them at the same level?

Cheers

mrlinux2u

Montala

Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:16 pm

As I understand it, for whatever reason, no accurate working drawing have yet been issued for production boards (as opposed to beta ones) and no one actually has one 'in their hands' yet.

Surely, until this does happen it is virtually impossible to produce a case with openings for the various ports and sockets with a 100% guarantee that a production model Raspberry Pi will fit inside perfectly.

Or have I missed something somewhere?

modmypi
Authorised Reseller
Authorised Reseller

Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:23 pm

mrlinux2u said:

@ModMyPi

Love the design of your case (and it's price) and will more than likely get one to try

However, have you seen Gert's mechanical data layout document (http://www.raspberrypi.org/for.....nical-data) that shows the RCA plug is actually higher up than the 3.5mm audio jack as your renderings seem to have them at the same level?

Cheers

mrlinux2u

Glad you like them!

Thanks for the heads up, but not to worry, these renders are based off of Gert's layout!

Its probably just that the difference in starting heights of the RCA and Audio Jack is not obvious in the 'look at me I'm pretty' isometric renders.

I'll put some straight on front back and side views up if you don't trust me

Any other colour combinations you interested in seeing?

Montala said:

As I understand it, for whatever reason, no accurate working drawing have yet been issued for production boards (as opposed to beta ones) and no one actually has one 'in their hands' yet.

Surely, until this does happen it is virtually impossible to produce a case with openings for the various ports and sockets with a 100% guarantee that a production model Raspberry Pi will fit inside perfectly.

Or have I missed something somewhere?

This is correct and why, for us at least, cases will not be released until we finalise our measurements on a real Raspberry Pi board.

There also has to be certain tolerances built into cases to allow for any variations in component seats on the Raspberry Pi board to make sure that all boards will fit, no matter if components are placed slightly differently. The balance is achieving fit that allows for this variation, whilst maintaining 'tightness'.

ModMyPi

mrlinux2u

Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:43 pm

Glad you like them!

Thanks for the heads up, but not to worry, these renders are based off of Gert"s layout!

Its probably just that the difference in starting heights of the RCA and Audio Jack is not obvious in the "look at me I"m pretty" isometric renders.

I"ll put some straight on front back and side views up if you don"t trust me

Any other colour combinations you interested in seeing?

@ModMyPi,

That's good to know , and you don't need to to put the any other drawings up ty .

As for colours, yellow might be a nice price colour for kids (possibly pink as well).

Cheers

mrlinux2u

Sergi 10

Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:43 am

xavplusplus said:

Sergi 10 said:

Exactly what I meant!

Xavplusplus Thanks for your support, you think of the colors, you need to add more colors?
http://www.lanzanos.com/proyectos/rpi-box/eng/

modmypi
Authorised Reseller
Authorised Reseller

Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:49 am

@mrlinux2u

I was waiting for someone to ask for pink I'll look into it, although not that many ABS suppliers seem to stock it, and when they do, its at a horrific price.

This might be something to wait until they get the Raspberry Pi in schools.

ModMyPi

Return to “Other projects”