HansH

Re: Cases for the Raspberry Pi

Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:01 am

tzj said:

this is just a preview of my case design.

features include:

stackable,
knock-outs side and bottom for GPIO access.

will be adding some finishing touches and split picswith download later.

Looks nice… just like the others….

But I wonder how people are going to make this…

For 3D printing, what I have learned, everything has to be supported from bottom going up.  So those outsticking feet  means that the remaining is done in floating air, so that is not possible.

Shapeways is expensive…. I reckon a case costs about 25 – 35 euro

If you have your own 3D printer, material costs is about 2 – 3 euro

Does anybody knows a different way in gettting those nice designs into a real case (besides 3d printing)

Ooh yeah, so far I can determine, the pcb board width is 56mm and not 53.98mm

Gert docs shows that and also the picture sizes from the Beta boards

tzj

Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:33 pm

@HansH

thanks

with 3d printing this case, i"d just need to some slight modifications, I"ve seen it done with break away support structures, or use a metal base so the filiment goes around it like a vaccum form.

as for other ways of making the cases, vaccum forming, injection molding ( what I would have done but expencive for one piece), for some you could use a press or even forging but that"s if weight isn"t an issue.

and I used gerts dwgs.

edit: you can also just bend acrilic sheets for the more simpler designs.
http://www.themagpi.com <---- Checkout the MagPi
(The MagPi - Co-Founder)

HansH

Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:46 pm

@tzj

have to see how I can do break away support structures...

Well I  don't have a 3D printer, so I just ordered mine...

Got advised to stick to 2mm walls as the filament that RepRap fuses is 0.5mm wide, and you need a few widths to get a decent strength and finish.

Still only 21 mm high, but no idea if it fits...

So now we wait how the measurements guessing worked out...

GeneBean

Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:19 pm

@HansH - Can't wait to see what comes of this.

Here is a slightly different method: CNC it from aluminum.  Not sure what a local machine shop would charge but stock would not be too expensive.  I am in the US so I converted the measurements from millimeters to inches (FAQ's have it at 85.60mm x 53.98mm x 17mm which converts to 3.37"x2.13"x0.67") and looked up the material that would be needed and came up with a block of stock 12"x2.5"x1" (long enough for 3 cases) which is $30.10.  If the stock had two bases milled from it, then had the remainder cut into two 1/2" thick pieces, two complete cases could be made.  Anyhow, just a thought.  Here is where I found the stock: http://www.grainger.com/Graing.....Pid=search

Dave64

Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:52 pm

I have been playing with google sketchup and just tried to make something simple using the nice board model that was kindly posted on this site.

iDaemon

Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:50 pm

marXmit said:

Open case for an open system...

Now THAT's good. Love that.

mobeyduck

Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:57 pm

iDaemon said:

marXmit said:

Open case for an open system...

Now THAT's good. Love that.

Add 4 pistons underneath so you get hydraulics

marXmit

Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:11 pm

for non-expensive 3d printing, try to locare a FabLab near you. wikipedia: fablab. you may also consider laser cutting plywood or plastic sheet material. Laser-cutters are also availble in any FabLab.

tzj

Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:43 pm

@marXmit

cool found my local Fab lab and its 40-50 miles away :/
http://www.themagpi.com <---- Checkout the MagPi
(The MagPi - Co-Founder)

Lynbarn

Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:50 pm

marXmit said:

for non-expensive 3d printing, try to locare a FabLab near you. wikipedia: fablab. you may also consider laser cutting plywood or plastic sheet material. Laser-cutters are also availble in any FabLab.

There is one that I know of in the UK - in Manchester, although I think it is the only one. Not sure if they have 3D printing though. They could also be a source of customers for the Raspberry Pi...

http://www.fablabmanchester.or.....-Labs.html

bsmulders

Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:31 pm

I think I finally found my Raspberry Pi casing:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html.....on+station

These things are dirt cheap (available for < 10 euro), can house a RaspPi, you can route all the cables neatly through the hole in the bottom AND you have several switches and buttons to plug into the GPIO and/or use to cut the power.

Plus, it looks very professional / industrial and will look very smooth in a "meter cupboard" (in the Netherlands, that's the place you have your electricity meter and fusebox).

Flubber

Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:48 pm

Since my photos seem to have not worked last time, heres a really rough makeup of the case I feel like carving myself. watchya think? (yea not great with sketchup so no fancy photo-realistic rendering here, just a screenshot of a model) rectangle on bottom of second pic is usb hub

Gumik

Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:20 pm

On the top of my case will be :

Hg

Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:59 pm

I really want to get involved as my full time job is a 3d cad designer working with solidworks,

I have downloaded a sketchup file and will have a play around :p

RossM

Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:51 pm

Hey guys,

I decided to mock up a case in 3D today, here's what I came up with.

I read that cooling isn't really an issue earlier in the thread, but the slots on the bottom help to reduce the cost when 3D printing.  Even then though, on Shapeways, this simple version would cost about as much as the Pi on it's own...can anyone recommend anywhere else to look at for 3D printers?  I'd be happy to have it done on Shapeways for myself, but it's not really a cost effective way of manufacturing!

The window could just be done by hand out of a sheet of perspex, I've modelled in a recess on the inside that would help to hold it in place with a little superglue.  There's also a groove running around the join so the two halves fit together nicely, i'm currently thinking to actually hold them together I would just use a couple of rubber bands of some kind, a cheap and simple solution, and still super-quick to remove the Pi from the case if necessary, I think I'll model some simple grooves to hold them in place either side of the window.

Great to see some of the other case ideas on here, particularly the fold-your-own cardboard box design, can see the Pi being used not just for teaching computer science!

Cheers,

-Ross

paulie

Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:32 pm

You mean one of these?

http://www.made-in-china.com/s.....g-Cat.html

Just make sure it"s _not_ life-sized.....
It has been my custom to use Xeyes

paulie

Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:46 pm

I can"t seem to quote posts: what am I doing wrong?

Lynbarn

Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:06 am

paulie said:

I can"t seem to quote posts: what am I doing wrong?

Use the "Quote and Reply" link above the post you want to use.

paulie

Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:15 am

I"m trying it now...
Didn"t seem to work when OP offline
Might it be my phone?

Lynbarn

Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:33 am

paulie said:

I"m trying it now...
Didn"t seem to work when OP offline
Might it be my phone?

It works OK from my Windoze PC - it could well be something to do with the phone browser.

nathanallan

Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:05 am

Prometheus said:

MINKIN2 said:

Hi Guys,

I started to look around the house to see if there was anything that could be re-purposed for the Pi board and came up with a couple of simple concept designs

Atari CX – Ri typeB

Ooh, I like that idea. You could make some pretty damn authentic labels for this sort of thing with the Atari 2600 Label Maker, too.

Nice one.

Excellent idea! I have plenty of spare common carts and this looks liek a great application for them!

schneeee

Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:38 am

RossM said:

Hey guys,

I decided to mock up a case in 3D today, here's what I came up with.

Very nice, I like the big window in the top of the box. Final case should at least have such a window, or be completely transparent.

jonrogersuk

Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:12 pm

I've made some designs for a case. I'm working on the assumption that some people will not be tinkering with the hardware that much, that they will want something that keeps the R-Pi dust free and presentable to have in public (you might say 'wife friendly'). I have three different designs, all of which I'm thinking of getting 3D printed, probably in black but other colours too, possibly.

There is one that's a simple box, rounded corners.

There are two that have holes for fixing to a VESA mount on the back of a monitor or TV - seeing the announcement of XMBC earlier in the week, I don't think I'll be the only one hooking it up to my TV. The first has 4M holes at 75mm and 100mm spacings for monitors, the second has 8M holes at 200mm spacing for most TVs. I'm certain that the lightweight case and board will be securely fixed by two points, so there's no need to make a gigantic frame to put four bolts through.

Most of the cases I've seen so far seem to skirt around the SD card area. From the reference photos I've seen, I know I have to tidy that area up when I get the Pi board, but we'll be good to go in literally hours after it arrives. To those designing cases, don't forget that the SD slot is underneath the board, at most the depth I've indicated on my renders.

When I have a final design, I will release the .stl files on Thingiverse, but until then, I'm trying to gauge interest in this. How many people would be interested in one of these cases? I may set up a Kickstarter project to raise some funds, or make a shop on something like Etsy to sell them - would you buy one?

lomsdalen

Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:19 pm

jonrogersuk said:

would you buy one?

I would probably buy around 8...

emg

Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:22 pm

jonrogersuk said:

//

//
I've made some designs for a case.

//

Also, check the depth of the cutout for the Ethernet port. If it's too deep, you won't be able to reach the connector 'tab' to release.

Return to “Other projects”