TinyPancakes

Re: Cases for the Raspberry Pi

Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:14 pm

I don't know if this has been posted yet, but in California (With a few stores in Washington) there's a company called Tap Plastics, they make things like display boxes and other plastic products. They will also custom make things for you.

I think that's what I will end up doing for a case, have them make a box to fit around in with precut holes for all the connections. I don't know about price yet, but when the R-Pi comes out I'll have a price, but i doubt it won't be too bad per case.

http://www.tapplastics.com

grumpyoldgit

Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:06 pm

I think there is a danger in spending considerably more on the casing than the Pi itself. To keep in the spirit of the thing I am rummaging around in the garage and the roof for old packaging. The small Ferrero Roche box that someone had a picture of looks ideal. I have a couple of nice wooden boxes that Turkish Delight came in that should fit the bill. I am hoping that in the piles of old cables and computer bits and pieces I have knocking around I can do the whole thing for zero additional cost.

Paul Webster

Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:17 am

I've just come across an old plastic case for a PCMCIA disk that I have had for years.

Might just do it - have dropped in a card to show size. It even has little rubber feet in the corner.

I suspect that once cut apart to make the holes for the various connectors it will fall apart ... but PCMCIA cases might be a good place to look in general.

iamacarpetlicker

Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:31 pm

I propose a case that would integrate a USB caddy within it, and would connect to the USB ports of the Raspberry (which for a home server / NAS case wouldn't be needed for anything else) internally out of sight, and just expose the power port and the networking port – To keep the size down to that of a credit card, or as close as possible, I also suggest we do it with only room to accommodate a 1.8" MicroSATA HDD such as the MK1216GSG used in the newer iPod classics – You can pick a 120GB one up on eBay for about £44 refurbished.

Looking at hacking one together, but I don't know where to start - Will post pics if it succeeds.

nehnie

Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:28 pm

This will be my raspberry pi case. It is a 'trick box'. When it is closed you can't get it open. I can drill holes in the side of the wood so I can use a tiny file to make room for ports. I think this is a cool box and this project will keep me off the streets The problem is I will use a wifi USB dongle. That will stick out.

[Image Can Not Be Found]

grumpyoldgit

Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:33 pm

Definitely a trick box!

nehnie

Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:37 pm

[Image Can Not Be Found]

This is the image I meant to upload

Pi Face

Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:11 pm

Very intriguing Nehnie I like your case it looks neat and discrete. Do you think the RasPi will fit in the draw part?

nehnie

Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:46 pm

Yes. I forgot to mention I will saw off the largest part of the walls of the inside drawer. I will have to, otherwise the Pi won't fit. The bottom plate of the drawer is exactly the size of a creditcard. I can easily screw the pi onto this.

I think the 3,5m audio jack and the composite video plugs will stick out. So maybe I have to cut a bigger hole in the tiny box. Maybe it isn't possible at all. Hmm I have to think this over a second time ^^

schneeee

Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:50 pm

Now that the release date of the first manufacture batch is official:

When will we see a definite official case (or final conceptual design)?

grumpyoldgit

Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:57 pm

schneeee said:

Now that the release date of the first manufacture batch is official:

When will we see a definite official case (or final conceptual design)?

Where did you see that?

schneeee

Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:21 am

On the index page of raspberrypi.org, they say it will be on the end of january.

...ok, it is not an exact "date"; sorry if I made you misinterpret that ;-p

jamesgibbon

Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:30 am

Prototype pi-pak enclosure with screen and peripherals:

http://flic.kr/p/bcy5NT

:p

Osborne-Gibbon inc.

GilchristT

Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:19 pm

jamesgibbon said:

Prototype pi-pak enclosure with screen and peripherals:

http://flic.kr/p/bcy5NT

:p

Osborne-Gibbon inc.

MINKIN2

Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:12 pm

Hi Guys,

I started to look around the house to see if there was anything that could be re-purposed for the Pi board and came up with a couple of simple concept designs

Atari CX – Ri typeB

Rasberry Pi Pod case

Marlboro Pi"s

Ok the last one was just for fun. But I would like to re use one of my battered Pac Man cases if possible. I kept the label design just in case.

Piw32

Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:13 pm

The Pi needs a very special case : Cray 1

dave3641

Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:15 pm

Started work on my case yesterday, only need to cut the hole for the HDMI port now.

Inside the lid there is a mini usb bluetooth dongle solder onto part of a usb port at 90deg due to space issues.

Inside the bottom is a piece of foam, home made usb extension with only data lines connected (1 pair of cat 6 from middle left to bottom right), 2.1mm line socket with power direct to usb extension (as wifi dongle uses 500ma) and to stripped micro usb plug, micro sd adapter, sim card for size reference and a netgear 3200 5ghz wifi dongle with ram chip heatsinks fitted to keep it cool.

It's powered from a 2A adapter I had with a powered usb hub.

Prometheus

Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:26 pm

MINKIN2 said:

Hi Guys,

I started to look around the house to see if there was anything that could be re-purposed for the Pi board and came up with a couple of simple concept designs

Atari CX – Ri typeB

Ooh, I like that idea. You could make some pretty damn authentic labels for this sort of thing with the Atari 2600 Label Maker, too.

Nice one.

HansH

Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:07 pm

Never designed a case before, but I got inspired…

http://www.shapeways.com/model.....tml?gid=mg

tzj

Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:30 pm

tried searching, but no luck, so...

what are the detailed dimentions for both the A and B boards when populated, for the purposes of more accurate case designs of course.
http://www.themagpi.com <---- Checkout the MagPi
(The MagPi - Co-Founder)

Burngate

Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:17 pm

tzj said:

tried searching, but no luck, so...

what are the detailed dimentions for both the A and B boards when populated, for the purposes of more accurate case designs of course.

Try searching "Beta Boards mechanical data" - there's a post by Gert on 10th Jan pointing at his PDF

tzj

Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:17 pm

http://www.themagpi.com <---- Checkout the MagPi
(The MagPi - Co-Founder)

Gibgezr

Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:22 pm

Try:

http://www.specialtybottle.com.....inged.aspx

Neat, $1 box with a clear plastic viewing window on the lid. Neat!

schneeee

Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:56 pm

Gibgezr said:

Try:

http://www.specialtybottle.com.....inged.aspx

Neat, $1 box with a clear plastic viewing window on the lid. Neat!

Don't seem to ship to Europe

Also, wouldn't it be a problem with the heat? You had to drill some little extra holes for the air, besides peripheral

Prometheus

Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:12 pm

schneeee said:

Also, wouldn't it be a problem with the heat? You had to drill some little extra holes for the air, besides peripheral
These sorts of SoCs are often used in mobile telephones. You don't need to drill holes in those, so I don't think you'd need to here, either.

Return to “Other projects”