marc

Re: PC in a mouse

Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:17 am

Keyboard idea sounds great.

simply attach board to underside of keyboard using velcro. making sure access to sdcard and hdmi are on the outside edge of kb.

connect usb hub to keyboard same way facing out at the back use a cut down usb cable on second usb port for keyboard and have a kb with touchpad mouse or mouse button like on old dell laptops.

marc

Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:20 am

if you really want mouse computer incorp a li-on battery cell and recharge port

manderson

Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:13 am

Another idea to allow for more room...How about a pi box with a track ball or a track pad on top?

Chromatix

Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:22 am

I've got two IBM Model Ms, but only one reliable cable between them.  There's a project out there which allows replacing the keymatrix controller with a USB interface.  Combining that with mounting the R-Pi internally would be a very interesting wrinkle - more portable than a BBC Micro, for certain.

The challenge would then be to allow full connectivity without ruining the Model M's case.
The key to knowledge is not to rely on people to teach you it.

Japala

Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:13 am

I did something related to this six years ago. Page 4 deals with the cable:

http://metku.net/index.html?pa...../index_eng

No, there is no computer inside that mouse but just wanted to show my approach on getting the needed wires going to the mouse. I do like the ethernet cable approach that Lob0426 suggested. Should work.

Chromatix

Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:25 am

I think the required four cables (HDMI, Ethernet, power, USB) could probably just about squeeze through the space currently occupied by the Model M's cable connector.  Wrap those up in some sleeving, and they should wrap around the keyboard reasonably nicely.

Not entirely certain whether there is in fact enough internal space to mount the thing, but plenty of time for investigation later.
The key to knowledge is not to rely on people to teach you it.

Lob0426

Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:06 pm

You could always cheat! Put the RasPi in a keyboard, hack up a laser mouse installed into the bottom of the keyboard, then move the keyboard around as a mouse! This would also work with a project box from radioshack or the like. The cables will likely be the problem no matter how you try to do it. The best way is for all the cables to come out one side, which RasPi just does not do.
512MB version 2.0 as WordPress Server
Motorola Lapdock with Pi2B
Modded Rev 1.0 with pin headers at USB

http://rich1.dyndns.tv/
(RS)Allied ships old stock to reward its Customers for long wait!

samgray111

Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:55 pm

brian191 said:

Hi

Here in the UK Tesco are selling a novelty giant mouse for £10 which is 10 x 17 x 5 cm think the the Rasp Pi would fit in that.

http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.21.....-3993.aspx

Brian ...

Just to let everyone know, I just picked up one of these totally by coincidence at the Dundee tesco on clearance for a pound - they had loads, so maybe other stores will too after xmas....

Return to “Other projects”