choclo

Re: PC in a mouse

Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:35 pm

When i saw how big the raspberry pi are, the first thing that i was thinking about was a pc in mouse. In another words: A low cost mouse with an PC inside that you just connect to an HDMI-Monitor (or TV).

I don't want to lose to much time now thinking about the hardware devices. I will just wait for the final board. In the other hand that is maybe some people out there having similar ideas so i want to introduce my inputs. I am very happy about some Feedbacks or new ideas.

I was thinking about something like that (Picture attached)
or here: http://img155.imageshack.us/im.....955300.png

Cheers
Choclo

tnelsond

Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:38 pm

Wow, cool! :D But after you hook up all the cords to it won't it be kinda messy and hard to move? Or would you just have only the hdmi going out?

Lob0426

Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:46 pm

I actually joked about "super mouse in the physical design thread with all of that in there I do not see any room left for the actual guts of a working mouse. I did look around to find as big of mouse as I could find. It would be areal project to get it all in there.
512MB version 2.0 as WordPress Server
Motorola Lapdock with Pi2B
Modded Rev 1.0 with pin headers at USB

http://rich1.dyndns.tv/
(RS)Allied ships old stock to reward its Customers for long wait!

tnelsond

Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:48 pm

Well, you could take a big mouse and use some of the parts from a really small mouse... Then maybe you'd have more room.

abishur

Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:17 pm

It'd have to be a fairly large mouse since the present model design is about the size of a credit card (Still can't wait for some pics of the new boards when they finally arrive!)
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

eggn1n3

Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:31 pm

What about this? http://www.acmesystems.it/?id=TUXCASE Raspberry Pi would fit for sure!

AmyS3

Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:49 pm

well yea but its a penguin and not a mouse :-)

tnelsond

Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:05 pm

Surely there's a tiny laser out there and a couple small buttons that one could mount on the top of the R-Pi to turn it into a mouse.

Lob0426

Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:38 pm

How much was that Tux Case? I got to have one! My wife will let me buy an additional two RasPi's when she sees that case. lol

Like the idea of a large mouse case with micro mouse guts. Might just be doable.

Lob0426

Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:54 pm

Found it £29 but I don't see it here in the US. That thing is bigger than it looks!

Yussuf

Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:43 pm

Mhh... maybe a mouse would be hard to handle... but what about a keyboard (i mean the pcs one^^)?!
You have got a lot of space (or can easily expand it) and you can use one with a trackball in it.
But think that the mouse would be better if it works. :)

Lob0426

Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:13 pm

I have been looking at that myself. The problem I see is all the new keyboards are made with a membrane in them. Do not know if you can cut any out without ruining the keyboard.

Marchombre

Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:09 pm

Both ideas are good. I especially like the keyboard one : would love to see the apple bluetooth keyboard beeing actually a computer ^^
don't know if there is enough room though... Probably not.

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:30 am

When I saw the original prototype (USB stick sized) Pi, I immediately thought of embedding it in a keyboard - the creditcard sized format makes it a more difficult proposition, although I do have a couple of USB keyboards that seem to have room in them - I'll be opening one up sometime soon to see how I might install a Model B. Another idea is to put a Pi in a small plastic case and secure it with sticky pads to the back of a small LCD TV. With a 8 Gb USB stick for storage and a cheap wireless keyboard/trackpad it'd make a smart little desktop PC!

But going back to the "mouse" idea, howabout one of those Logitech marble meeces ( http://www.logitech.com/en-gb/.....vices/4786 ) that looks like an Opabina (http://paws.wcu.edu/dperlmutr/.....abinia.JPG)?
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

choclo

Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:37 pm

Ok, the alpha Board is out there and with this size we can forget about the "PC in a mouse" idea. Maybe the Keyboard one could works...

Svartalf

Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:49 pm

Quote from choclo on August 15, 2011, 20:37
Ok, the alpha Board is out there and with this size we can forget about the "PC in a mouse" idea. Maybe the Keyboard one could works...

You could, in theory do it in a Mouse/Trackball...the main problem is that while you could get the electronics in there, you'd need to purpose build the device to get it to fit in that profile (i.e. integrate a mouse circuit board, a USB hub, and an R-Pi into the whole package. Doable, really- but the price for that would be $100-ish at minimum. Don't know if it's worth it unless you can get volume discounts where the price would end up being closer to the wireless trackballs I've been buying of late...

Des_Zac

Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:36 pm

I think it would feel weird having two cords coming out of the mouse, one usb and one HDMI, but I like the keyboard idea.

Milo

Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:35 am

Hacking a mouse like that reminds me of Netragard’s Hacker Interface Device http://pentest.snosoft.com/201.....evice-hid/

RobinJ

Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:57 pm

... It's a funny idea, but not a really good one...
For one the mouse will be very hard to move with all the cables attached to it, and the cables would all have to be jammed on the front side of the device. Also there's a lack of space, though I'm not sure about that.
Sometimes people jam their mouses onto their desks if they can't win with a game, or when the computer is slow. When someone did that, the computer would probably be instantly broken.
Putting it inside a keyboard may be a better idea.
But I'd rather have it for 20 euros with normal hardware, than pay 50 euros for a keyboard/mouse with a computer inside it. I've got some old keyboards and mouses lying around here wich I'm planning to use.
Rule #1: If a human tries to argue with a logical device like a computer, the device always wins.
Rule #2: A big bucket of water, window, or hammer can nullify Rule #1.

SteveDee

Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:08 pm

Jongoleur said:-

" Another idea is to put a Pi in a small plastic case and secure it with sticky pads to the back of a small LCD TV."

I'm thinking along the lines of an LCD DVI connector being incorporated into a plastic case (i.e. not having an HDMI-cable-DVI lead, but some kind of HDMI/DVI adapter).

The idea would be to attach/incorporate the case to/with the DVI adapter shell, and use the 2 DVI thumb screws to attach the case to the display. There won't be much weight in the R-Pi case, so this would be an adequate method of fixing...

...but how to do it?

spamel

Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:23 pm

Somebody else mentioned making a lego case and gluing some lego blocks on the back of the telly, then you just lego it together. Inside a mouse is a mad idea, I totally love that somebody thought that up and sad that the design changed so that it has become near impossible to do on a normal scale. I will be using a keyboard and redesigning the whole keyboard similar to the well documented steampunk keyboards. I just need to get some bits and bobs and a pillar drill for accuracy, which needs a bench to mount it on! This cheap computer is getting more expensive by the minute! Lol

bzip

Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:04 pm

Zachary said:

I think it would feel weird having two cords coming out of the mouse, one usb and one HDMI, but I like the keyboard idea.

Or,,,,, what about just having it sitting there as a dummy mouse,,,,sneeky

wrhii

Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:15 pm

You'd need USB, obviously, for the Pi to connect to a mouse.

You'd need Power connection, for the Pi to turn on.

You'd need HDMI connection, for the monitor to work.

You'd need ethernet connection, for the thing to be available on a network.

That's a fair chunk of cables, approaching from multiple sides of the Pi.

Also, the SD card is not fully concealed within the "Credit Card Size" as described, from the pictures I saw it looks like the SD card sticks out a cm or more past the end.  Another amount of space that needs to be worked around.

Keyboard housing seems more feasible, though you still have a lot of cables needed.

brian191

Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:47 pm

Hi

Here in the UK Tesco are selling a novelty giant mouse for £10 which is 10 x 17 x 5 cm think the the Rasp Pi would fit in that.

http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.21.....-3993.aspx

Brian ...

Lob0426

Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:53 pm

Hardwire everything into say an Ethernet cable, power (2 wires), USB (4 wires) and composite video (2 wires). Into an interface box. HDMI might be a bit much for a setup like this. With an On Screen Keyboard and it would work. It will take a lot of hardware bashing but would be possible.

Return to “Other projects”