JoshuaEHorn

Someone to test SD image?

Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:27 pm

Would anyone be interested in testing my first image dump of my SD card build of PapayaOne? (Formally called ApplePI). The initial build works on my PI but I want to make sure it works on others. It's a 4GB image so you'll of course need a free 4 GB or larger card. In case you did not get to read my post, PapayaOne (or as the post would of stated "ApplePI") is a built-from scratch minimal Linux distro for the Raspberry Pi, It is meant for emulating the Apple 1. It has no extra software installed other than napple1 (Apple 1 emulator), git and ssh. Login is automatic and once complete it starts napple1 at the Linux command prompt (no GUI here!) :D (It works with ncurses, anyway it's text-based.)

Currently I have my PI running PapayaOne and it is hooked up to a period (70's) mini monochrome TV. It's very nostalgic.. :) - Anyway, I did not really know where exactly to post this in the forums, coulden't find a section for os development really... So I hope this is in the right place.
-- Joshua E. Horn

samuelt619

Re: Someone to test SD image?

Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:46 pm

It's purely text-based and minimalist, but still 4 gigs? That's a little big, but I would LOVE to test it out. Heck, I've got plenty of 16 gig micro-SD cards sitting in adapters just waiting to have something else loaded on them for the Pi.

Post that link!
What would you accomplish today if you weren't afraid?

JoshuaEHorn

Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:01 pm

Yeah it was a little big, but I've managed to knock it down to about 100M, but I'm trying to squeeze more space off of the partition. I may of kept too many unneeded utilities in an effort not to kill Linux. But so far so good! - Send me an e-Mail at <email removed> so send me a PM, I'll get that image to you as soon as I get it sized down as far as I can.
Last edited by JoshuaEHorn on Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-- Joshua E. Horn

malakai

Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:39 pm

Might want to remove the email and go with PM spiders crawl sites like this and will spam you to death. Typically a MOD will come in and remove it if they see it so as to save you a ton of trouble.
http://www.raspians.com - always looking for content feel free to ask to have it posted. Or sign up and message me to become a contributor to the site. Raspians is not affiliated with the Raspberry Pi Foundation. (RPi's + You = Raspians)

JoshuaEHorn

Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:38 am

Okay guys,

I managed to get run6502 to run the Apple 1 "WOZ Monitor" out of the rpi emergency Linux kernel rootfs. So.. I have a 12 mb image that only emulates an apple 1. It took me all day to figure it out, but it turned out to be so simple. Well sort of... Had to boot a normal rpi raspbian, compile run6502 for arm and I had to then figure out how get both the emu and the wozmon bin file into the loopback in the emergency kernel. Turns out if you stick the files right in the fat32 partition where the kernel is and boot it, cd to /boot you can access it. Then it was just a matter of writing a shell script. If anyone wants to try PapayaOne, I have a zip file you just extract to the root of your fat32 formatted sd card. Now on to building the awesome case with built in keyboard!! :D I already have an old 70s monitor hooked up to it for display haha! :-)
-- Joshua E. Horn

Return to “Other projects”