coreyjohnson711

Re: The Raspberry Pi Netbook (well sort of)

Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:45 am

Hello all, first post here!

The Motorola Lapdock has a micro USB port and a micro HDMI port, as well as 2 USB ports on the back. I feel like this is a perfect device to make a Pi Netbook. One HDMI (male) to the lapdocks micro HDMI (female). One micro USB (male) to the lapdocks USB (male)  plugged in for power (that is what the Pi uses correct?), one USB (male) to lapdocks micro USB (female) so that the Pi can use the lapdocks trackpad and keyboard as they are just HID devices. Use the second USB port (Model B) for a tiny Wi-Fi dongle. There you now have a self contained netbook. The best part is that the total cost would be around $100. The Lapdock goes on sale (like it is right now) for $50 http://1saleaday.com/wireless/.....FID=178621 the Model B Pi is $35 and you should be able to get the cables for around $15 if you don't already have some from your phone or other electronics that could be used/modified.

The next step would be to build a case for the Pi to sit where the Atrix does on the lapdock.

Also I have a question that someone with more experience could hopefully answer.. Do devices plugged into the lapdocks USB ports also get recognized by whatever is plugged into the micro USB port of the lapdock?

The Bullfrog

Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:07 pm

I understand the desire to do things just because you can but, really, why not just pick up a second-hand netbook/laptop on ebay etc? You can get some decent units within the same budget you've outlined.

If you've already got a lapdock then you've presumably also got the Atrix phone (why else would you have one?) so what would replacing the Atrix with a RasPi do for you, beyond making you carry an extra box around?

nullstring

Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:19 pm

Can you just use the lapdocks like that? I will have to look into that.

You could use that $50 lapdock as portable server console, etc. (not just for RPI)

I feel like it shouldn't just work like that, but it might. Worth looking into.

EDIT: Looks like this would definately work.

While I think this is sort of a silly way to use a RPI portably, this definately has other uses.

I'll be buying one next time they go on sale.

dh04000

Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:48 pm

That should work fine. It's sold out now, so if you grabbed one, lucky you. You've got a new sexy laptop my man!

coreyjohnson711

Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:33 pm

I do not already have a lapdock or an Atrix, I just like to think of different ideas for the Pi and this was one of them. I like to tinker a little bit and thought of this as a fun project. Also I would be very curious to know what the battery life would be like using this, I have a feeling it would be quite awhile. Again just some fun thoughts here

Joe_T

Sun May 27, 2012 3:34 am

Hi, sorry to dig up an old post but thought this might be useful to someone, maybe. I successfully got the Pi working with the Lapdock today, and it was quite easy.
Hope this is of some use to someone, I have the parts I used listed in my blogger post.

http://rpidock.blogspot.com/2012/05/ive ... s-and.html

manishfrank619

Sun May 27, 2012 10:33 pm

Joe_T wrote:Hi, sorry to dig up an old post but thought this might be useful to someone, maybe. I successfully got the Pi working with the Lapdock today, and it was quite easy.
Hope this is of some use to someone, I have the parts I used listed in my blogger post.

http://rpidock.blogspot.com/2012/05/ive ... s-and.html
Hi Joe,
The link you attached doesnt seems to be working. I have just ordered a lapdock today for my Moto Atrix. After ordering the lapdock I was immediately bombarded by this idea. Searched online and found your post. Could you please tell me which all the cables I will need.
Thanks.

Joe_T

Mon May 28, 2012 12:27 am

Hi manishfrank619,
Sorry, I must have inadvertently deleted it. Here you go.
http://rpidock.blogspot.com/2012/05/ras ... pdock.html

Everything seems to work without needing to modify the hardware on the Lapdock.
I'm a total noob at this kind of thing, so any updates etc are very appreciated! Good luck :D

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon May 28, 2012 1:25 am

Are you sure you can uses this devices screen as a HDMI monitor, seems fishy to me!
such a feature is certainly very unusual, as is the ability to use the device as a USB keyboard and trackpad, unless the device is designed especially for this purpose I would not just assume it works.

shirro

Mon May 28, 2012 1:47 am

mahjongg wrote:Are you sure you can uses this devices screen as a HDMI monitor, seems fishy to me!
such a feature is certainly very unusual, as is the ability to use the device as a USB keyboard and trackpad, unless the device is designed especially for this purpose I would not just assume it works.
The lapdock, at least certain versions are well known to be just a hdmi monitor and usb input device with a battery in a netbook form factor and there have been reports around on places like xda-developers (and youtube videos) of them working with other phones, laptops and playstations. They are a bit tricky to use because it is a male micro/mini(?) hdmi connector on that back that the phone sits on and I think the usb and hdmi are quite close together.

There are a few phones around with hdmi output. The Raspberry Pi is a mobile chip with hdmi. Not that crazy really. Certainly unusual for someone to make a laptop without a processor and not sure if it worked out commercially. I don't think there is anything similar on the market.

chrisprice

Wed May 30, 2012 12:11 pm

Yes, all Motorola Lapdock units are essentially a battery-powered HDMI display and USB host for keyboard and trackpad (and can also power the Raspberry Pi).

The Lapdock has largely been a market failure because Motorola jailed and locked down the Webtop OS hypervisor, so that it could only run Firefox. That's why you're seeing these units go for $50 to $100 online.

When Motorola updates its smartphones to Android 4.0, they will switch from Linux to Android for the webtop UI (so these Lapdocks can run Android apps instead of just Firefox), so you may want to buy one now before these actually become useful to Motorola owners.

gcmchugh

Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:23 pm

If you are looking for a Motorola Lapdock for your Pi, I picked
up the Motorola Lapdock (Bionic version) for $49 on clearance at
the local Verizon Wireless store today. They seem to be sold out online but my
first call to a local store found some in stock. This was in Farmington
Hills Michigan...

Greg

rrolsbe

Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:44 pm

I thought there was a different pinout between the Bionic version and the one most people are using with there Pi? From what I can gather, they are both essentially the same but the micro-usb connection on the Bionic version has a different pinout than the Motorola Atrix 4G Laptop? Has anyone got the Bionic version to work with their Pi???

Regards, Ron

servili007

Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:58 am

Hi ron, that would be incorrect. Both lapdocks use the same exact connectors, and follow the standards of those connectors (pinouts are identical). The only difference is that the ports are physically upside down such that they do not fit the atrix. I've owned bionic lapdocks, atrix lapdocks, atrix phones, etc etc.

With the right adapters, you can use these guys for anything, trust me, it's as standard as it can get. I'm personally looking to convert one bionic lapdock (they seem to come in slightly higher quality batches over the atrix ones for whatever reason) into a Raspberry Pi Model A laptop when the A comes out, and an XFI Cotton Candy laptop (with an actual integrated enclosure that makes the entire lapdock look unmodified) once that group gets their work in motion

robinkennedy

Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:53 pm

Like many people I've been looking for a simple cost-effective screen for my recently-arrived RP. I have been inspired to try the Atrix Lapdock solution & just got one from Amazon - unfortunately the cables are going to take a little longer to arrive, so I'd like to ask a dump question in the meantime - does the Lapdock do anything without a phone/hdmi connection? I was expecting to see a power on/off button and maybe to get a "connect your phone" message/light (like you get with a disconected monitor) - but nothing. Is this normal?

godFather89

Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:09 pm

robinkennedy wrote:does the Lapdock do anything without a phone/hdmi connection? I was expecting to see a power on/off button and maybe to get a "connect your phone" message/light (like you get with a disconected monitor) - but nothing. Is this normal?
Yes, it's normal. All you can do is press the button on the side (beneath the touchpad) to see the battery level.

robinkennedy

Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:13 pm

OK Many Thanks - just wanted to be sure I didn't have a dud unit - can't wait to get the cables to try this out. Robin

godFather89

Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:47 pm

I also got my lapdock yesterday. I am planning to change the HDMI type D male connector in a HDMI type A male connector, on the lapdock, and move the micro USB female connector, on the raspberry board, near the HDMI connector (still thinking how to fix it on the board, some strong glue).

What I try to achieve is to use no cables between them.

servili007

Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:53 pm

Aren't you still going to need to make a breakout Y-cable for the usb to split the data lines and power lines? I was under the impression that the power port on the pi does not have data lines connected to anything (almost sure of that)

servili007

Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:41 pm

ah! I see you connected the data terminals over to the USB ports, brilliant, well done sir. I may have to do the same if/when I get a model A

godFather89

Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:08 pm

Yeah, I removed the 2 way USB receptacle and mounted a 1 way receptacle instead. Then routed the data lines from the unused USB to the micro USB connector.

One thing to notice is that the thing does not close any more (that clap where the raspberry is inserted) because the HDMI connector is bigger. I'll have to cut the plastic to get the flip closing.

robinkennedy

Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:08 am

It took a while for various cables to arrive but I now have a full set of micro USB/micro HDMI cables/adaptors and can connect the Motorola Lapdock to the Pi & get a display.

On the basis of “getting things working one step at a time” I haven’t (yet) got the soldering iron out to split out the USB power and data - I’m happy (for the time being) to run the Pi via a dedicated mains adaptor and get the Lapdock USB for keyboard/mouse data working. Except it isn’t!

i.e. I cannot type or use the mouse on the lapdock and get the Pi to recognise it. Plugging in my standalone USB keyboard/mouse is fine, so the issue is somehow with the lapdock connection.

In terms of debugging the issue, I found that the USB cable/connection to the lapdock IS sound as I plugged it into a windows desktop machine and it was recognised and worked – both the mouse and keyboard.

I'm sure I'm missing something & I guess this is a driver/config issue but I’m not sure where to start – can anyone who has got this working please advise?

Return to “Other projects”