bushrat

Re: Portable Pi, Using iPod Touch

Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:25 pm

Ok so my idea for turning the Raspberry Pi into a portable device, is to use a wifi dongle and an old iPod Touch as a VNC client.

So id plug in the WiFi dongle and create a network for the iPod Touch to connect to on the Pi, then its a matter of simply adding some batteries and possibly an external keyboard.

I dont think youd have to use an iDevice, you could use any old wifi android, all it needs is a VNC app.

So what do you guys think.

P.S this is my first post, so please go easy on me

spamel

Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:52 pm

The screen seems to be the biggest problem, and nobody is too sure what will work and what won't.  I was just thinking about a Tom Tom screen, that'd surely be light on power to run?  Not sure on connections though, but it has a touch screen.

JeremyF

Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:09 am

spamel said:

The screen seems to be the biggest problem, and nobody is too sure what will work and what won't.  I was just thinking about a Tom Tom screen, that'd surely be light on power to run?  Not sure on connections though, but it has a touch screen.

Well it seems like bushrat is content with just displaying through VNC (a remote desktop protocol) over an ad hoc network. So I would say to bushrat, why not?
{sig} Setup: Original version Raspberry Pi (B, rev1, 256MB), Dell 2001FP monitor (1600x1200), 8GB Class 4 SD Card with Raspbian and XBMC, DD-WRT wireless bridge

bushrat

Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:27 am

Thanks, i know VNC is slow, but at THAT close range with a half decent wifi dongle, it should be tolerable. Or you could jailbreak(like i have) and use the iDevice to SSH into the Pi, just a thought.

cloudsloth

Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:31 am

Being a network connection will have some latency issues, but this might not matter for what you're planning on doing. This is certainly the easiest way to get a pi to have a touch screen and keyboard in a package of this size. It won't have the same snappy feel of using a touch screen portable device like a normal ipod touch or android, but it will have the power of the pi behind it, which could be a big advantage in some circumstance.

bushrat > would SSH be significantly snappier than VNC? I'm just starting to learn about such things.

bushrat

Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:44 am

cloudsloth said:

Being a network connection will have some latency issues, but this might not matter for what you"re planning on doing. This is certainly the easiest way to get a pi to have a touch screen and keyboard in a package of this size. It won"t have the same snappy feel of using a touch screen portable device like a normal ipod touch or android, but it will have the power of the pi behind it, which could be a big advantage in some circumstance.

bushrat > would SSH be significantly snappier than VNC? I"m just starting to learn about such things.

ive only recently entered the world of SSH and the Terminal, but SSHing into my linux box from my ipod touch feels just like i was at the computer. So if you were just using the terminal, you could easily get away with SSH over WiFi.

VNC is good, but it does have a lag that makes watching videos or games near impossible, but for word proccessing or other things that dont require imediate responce its great

Return to “Other projects”