bc320

Re: Media Server for Roku

Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:15 pm

I just purchased a roku for stream content to my tv.  I was told I could access the hdd I have attached to my wireless router from the roku.  This is only kind of true.  If it was a NAS that I can set up as a media server, then I can do it.  Mine is not, it is just a hdd in an enclosure attached to the router.  The router can send data to DNLA devices, but the roku is not such a device.

My cousin told me about this Raspberry Pi.  I had a thought and want to know if it can be done. I would like set the Raspberry Pi up as a media server attached to the router.  I want to be able to stream from the hdd in the enclosure that would be attached to the Raspberry Pi to a channel on the Roku.  If I can get the server set up, then I think I can do the Roku end.

Another thing I would like to do is run Playon media server off of the Raspberry Pi.  This currently runs on the pc and pushes internet content to the Roku.  According to Playon I have to run this on some sort of pc with internet access.  If I hook the Raspberry Pi to the router it should be able to handle this.

Re: Media Server for Roku

Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:22 pm

It appears that PlayOn works on a few devices that use ARM processors, including the latest Roku 2 XS, which uses a variant of the Broadcom BCM2835 in the R-Pi.  It also looks like it works with XBMC, which has been ported to the R-Pi:

http://www.playon.tv/supported-devices

So, it looks like it should be able to run, and some testing may be needed to ensure it's completely compatible, and determine whether some kind of interface needs to be developed/adapted between the PlayOn software and other R-Pi Linux software.

Return to “Other projects”