wurkin

Security Onion Sensor for RasPi

Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:22 pm

Hello,
I was wondering if anyone has built a simple network tap that captures traffic with either tcpdump or some other tool? Ideally, i would want to capture the traffic and do some rudimentary sorting based on protocol and send the traffic up to a head-end to get analyzed by a more powerful system like security onion. If noone is doing it, i will give it a shot and try to compile a couple of security onion tool binaries from source for raspi.

Best regards,
-Wurkin
P.S. here is a full list of tools: http://code.google.com/p/security-onion/wiki/Tools
I will try a small subset of these.

isamples

Re: Security Onion Sensor for RasPi

Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:29 pm

Did you give it a shot? How did it come out?

nightsidesec

Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:22 pm

Is there a reason why simply installing the Security Onion distro on a Raspberry Pi wouldn't work? I think I am going to attempt that this weekend. I know it's based on Ubuntu, so I'd have to enable SSH before booting up, but I can't think of any real obstacles. Thoughts?

dan3008

Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:40 pm

nightsidesec wrote:Is there a reason why simply installing the Security Onion distro on a Raspberry Pi wouldn't work? I think I am going to attempt that this weekend. I know it's based on Ubuntu, so I'd have to enable SSH before booting up, but I can't think of any real obstacles. Thoughts?
Looks like all the built in tools are available on the pi.

I'm getting a new pi soon (my current one's busy atm), I'll also take a look at installing it. However, I'll install the packages and configuring it manually, just to see what happens lol
dan3008 wrote:Pays your money, takes your choice

fzierold

Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:26 pm

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone had any success installing Security Onion on the Pi?

Onion Pi... lol...

cosax

Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:27 pm

Any news about this attempt to install security onion on a RasPi?

somnitek

Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:07 am

Definitely interested in ALL the deetz! Spill em! :D

I'm thinking about trying a similar build. Figure I'll need a Raspberry Pi, wireless dongle, etc., but also a switch. Seem to recall from reading somewhere I'm going to need a switch, as well. I'm just trying to build this out for a super simple home network. A few laptops, smart devices (i.e. tv), etc. but I really, REALLY want to try it!

securidee

Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:39 am

Also interested to know if anyone got this working.

I was wondering if it would be possible to install Ubuntu 1404 on the RPi and then add the Security Onion PPA as per these instructions: https://github.com/Security-Onion-Solut ... ngOnUbuntu

The hardware requirements for SO give me pause though - it depends on the amount of traffic being sniffed but, a min of 3GB Ram is suggested.

Galtar

Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:17 pm

I realize it's been two years, but did you ever get this working? I was interested but got discouraged when their page said they didn't support ARM architecture.

PhatFil

Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:19 pm

Galtar wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:17 pm
I realize it's been two years, but did you ever get this working? I was interested but got discouraged when their page said they didn't support ARM architecture.
That would turn me away from proceeding for sure, but many folk have broader and deeper skill sets than me..

Return to “Other projects”