XiTekAttackiX

Re: can you have any linux os on the raspberry pi

Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:23 am

Can you have any Linux distro on the Raspberry Pi?

abishur

Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:28 am

Nope They need to be specifically designed for ARM, specifically ARMv6 (which means the latest version of Ubuntu ARM is, unfortunately, incompatible.)
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:35 am

XiTekAttackiX said:

Can you have any Linux distro on the Raspberry Pi?

Not out of the box, the distro must be built to support a compatible variant of arm. Relatively few are at this point.

Most distros could probablly be ported, it's mostly a question of whether anyone is prepared to put the time/effort/money in to do so.

Abishur said:

(which means the latest version of Ubuntu ARM is, unfortunately, incompatible.)

While Ubuntu is not compatible out of the box it would probablly be relatively easy to port given that it is based on debian and has ports for other arm varients already. Mostly it would be a matter of finding the money and manpower to build and run the buildd farm (a group of i.mx53 quickstart boards or similar that build all the packages).

grumpyoldgit

Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:47 am

I just love these "relatively easy" replies. I'm sure that open heart surgery is "relatively easy" for someone who does that sort of thing on a daily basis. The simple answer to the simple question needs to be no, it is not possible to have any Linux distro on the Pi. Certain distros will be specially prepared to be run on the Pi and those will be the ones to use. Details will be announced on this site.

Jim Manley
Location: SillyCon Valley, California, and Powell, Wyoming, USA, plus The Universe

Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:31 am

Ubuntu 9.04 (Jaunty) for ARM11v6 may partially work, but, the current version of Ubuntu is now at 11.10 and only supports ARM..v7 (Coretex) and higher, with 12.04 LTS currently in testing.  Ubuntu has no plans to provide support for ARM11v6, which is unfortunate.

The versions of Linux for ARM11v6 that are currently being ported to support R-Pi are Fedora, Debian, and ArchLinux, with their respective advantages being stability (Fedora), extensive leading/bleeding edge software options (Debian), and minimal footprint and maximum performance with somewhat less stability (ArchLinux).  Other Linux community developers are considering porting to R-Pi to possibly include Puppy Linux (very small-size distribution), and Gentoo and Slackware are potential candidates as there are ARM ports, but, they would need to be optimized for the R-Pi's particular components (e.g., hardware device interface drivers and enhancements to accommodate the particular features of the Broadcom BCM2835 CPU/GPU in the R-Pi).

The Debian port is available in a fairly complete version for experimentation, and the Fedora port will likely be the first version of Linux officially supported by, and available from, the R-Pi Foundation.
The best things in life aren't things ... but, a Pi comes pretty darned close! :D
"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -- W.B. Yeats
In theory, theory & practice are the same - in practice, they aren't!!!

Lynbarn

Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:43 pm

Grumpyoldgit said:

I just love these "relatively easy" replies. I'm sure that open heart surgery is "relatively easy" for someone who does that sort of thing on a daily basis.

Agreed completely!

Then again, "relatively easy" or "relatively difficult" depends on what you are relating it to, and that is seldom if ever specified 

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:32 pm

Grumpyoldgit said:

I just love these "relatively easy" replies. I'm sure that open heart surgery is "relatively easy" for someone who does that sort of thing on a daily basis.

Heh,

Yes you will have to learn how debian packaging works, yes you will have to learn how to setup and admin wanna-build/buildd/sbuild/dak but I don't see anything fundamentally difficult just tedious.

Lynbarn said:

Agreed completely!

Then again, "relatively easy" or "relatively difficult" depends on what you are relating it to, and that is seldom if ever specified 

Afaict distros can be roughly divided into four groups with regards to the difficulty of getting them on a Pi

1: Pi images available to run straight away

2: Pi images not available but instruction sets are compatible so you just have to replace the kernel with one that supports the Pi, put things in the right place on the SD card, drop in the binary drivers if you want accelerated graphics and away you go.

3: Has arm support but instruction sets are not compatible so compiler defaults need to be changed and all packages rebuilt.

4: No arm support at all.

Return to “Other projects”