RaspberryPaul

Re: Pi on / off PSU relay switch

Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:31 am

As an alternative to using electromechanical relays, this simple MOSFET power ON/OFF circuit works well. With the push of a button it can turn ON the Raspberry Pi, or turn it OFF, or signal the RPi to turn itself OFF.

waygood

Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:28 pm

I already posted that link. (Good isn't it)

I posted a question on Stackexchange about a cheaper version of the IRF7319 Dual MOSFET http://electronics.stackexchange.com/qu ... heaper-one

"Andy aka" suggested using singles instead of a dual.
"Anindo Ghosh" suggested using the Vishay Si4562DY.

I've bought 10x Si4562DY (dual) on ebay for £4.51 including delivery.
Although I think the stripboard design would have gone a little better with singles.

Thanks to 3lectronics website for the stripboard design tool.
http://www.3lectronics.com/stripboard-s ... editor.svg

riffraff

Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:27 pm

Since the relay I found was rated at only 500mA I eliminated the 47K resistor and used it to switch the mains. It controls a Gino 5V/5A PS I found on eBay. That's more than enough for the Pi, the hub and peripherals, a couple of HDDs and my phone when I'm uploading or downloading.

GSVNoFixedAbode

Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:07 am

Perfect - just what I was looking for! In my case the on-switch will be a Glade sense'n'spray unit that triggers the power on, Pi will then run through a specific sequence (sound/lights), then power-off. A battery-powered, light-trigered sound&light show that could last a good few days ... lurking in a dark tunnel, playing train sounds as cyclists ride by. :twisted:
Just need to add a voltage regulator to bring it down to 5v.
I am Heisenborg: you will probably be assimilated

caffeycn

Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:46 pm

I am new to using the raspberry pi, but I want to turn on and off my pi automatically. I was thinking of creating a microcontroller that would switch on the pi when it is needed and then off the pi after 5 or so minutes of inactivity. From what I read of your relay circuit design is that to power it on you have to manually push the switch. Do you have any suggestions for automating this process? For example taking a signal that says to turn it on.

tgaryet

Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:42 pm

I have a similar on/off switch/battery/charger/level monitor module that I used in my project.

If the power is off, closing a momentary contact on/off switch turns on the 5V (@1.5A) output. If it is on closing the on/off switch asserts a GPIO pin so shutdown can be initiated. As a fail-safe, closing the switch a second time immediately powers down.

At any time, the Raspi can also turn-off the power, for example, when it is signaled by the battery level comparator that the battery is about to die via GPIO. You can programmatically adjust the battery level comparator to determine the current battery level. The module includes a charger circuit. The kit includes the module and a 2000 mAh battery. All GPIO signals are 3V compliant.

http://www.redoakcanyon.com/2-informati ... el-b-512mb

PhillyNJ

Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:10 am

I have several of these. At $16 US, its a great buy. Only takes 2 pins

http://mausberry-circuits.myshopify.com

Cerberus525

Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:03 pm

Duplicate comment so I deleted
Last edited by Cerberus525 on Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cerberus525

Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:17 pm

Redhawk,

What changes do I need to make to use your "PSU relay switch" design in a Hifiberry Amp+ that requires a 12v input?

The Hifiberry Amp feed the raspberry through GPIO, 5v conversion is not required.

I am not an electronics expert, but I can join basic components based on the schematic.

Any help is appreciated.

Return to “Other projects”