natewiebe13

Re: Ubuntu Server

Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:23 am

I know in the FAQs it says that Ubuntu will not be supported. I'm assuming that is referring to the Desktop Edition running a GUI. I would like to get Ubuntu Server. Any chance on getting an image of that?

timgiles

Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:13 am

Linux is linux. In general, a distro like Ubuntu may seem like it has several different builds (Desktop, Server, Netbook remix....) but these are actually the same just with a different installer and standard packages.

Ubuntu has dropped its ARM release for the moment but most other distros have LAMP and all the other normal 'server' packages that you might want.

So if you want to host a website, torrent, FTP, SSH, NAS via NFS, CIFS, SMB, or any of the normal server type activities most people want to do, should be AOK. There will likely be guides popping up in the coming weeks. You may find it worth just searching the web for Fedora FTP Server for instance...

hayesey

Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:47 am

well, technically, Ubuntu hasn't dropped ARM support at all, in fact it is increasing it since Canonical sees itself on devices such as TVs, mobile phones etc… in the near future.  But it dropped support for ARMv6 some time ago and only supports newer cores.

As said above, there is no difference in Ubuntu "Desktop" and Ubuntu "Server" other than the standard set of packages they include.  You can quite easily install the Desktop ISO, run a couple of apt-get commands to remove & install various things and you have Ubuntu "Server".

Personally I reckon the best way to set a server up is to install a Debian bare minimum (i.e. hardly any more packages other than what are needed to boot) and then specifically install the packages you need.  Ubuntu's approach is OK for the desktop but I feel on a server you need to know exactly what is installed.

hayesey

Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:54 am

But, it is open source software, in theory anyone can port the code to any platform.  It's generally driven by demand.  Previously there wasn't enough demand for ARMv6 Ubuntu but RasPi could change that...

grumpyoldgit

Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:06 am

Anything is possible but without support you are just heading down a dead end on your own. With a supported OS there will be bug fixes, security updates, regular updates and a fellow community out there to discuss and share problems and issues.

alexandru.cucu

Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:47 pm

Just stick with Debian, you won't notice too many differences.

The SD card image is already available so go for it

The only reason to use Ubuntu would be use the cloud computing capabilities it comes with or to get support from Canonical.
https://launchpad.net/~alexandru.cucu

szaleniec

Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:04 pm

Timothy Giles said:

Ubuntu has dropped its ARM release for the moment but most other distros have LAMP and all the other normal 'server' packages that you might want.

Canonical IS supporting ARM devices, like Toshiba AC100 (Tegra2 based netbook).

drgeoff

Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:31 pm

szaleniec said:

Timothy Giles said:

Ubuntu has dropped its ARM release for the moment but most other distros have LAMP and all the other normal "server" packages that you might want.

Canonical IS supporting ARM devices, like Toshiba AC100 (Tegra2 based netbook).

Yes but not the version of ARM CPU that is in the RP.

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:16 am

hayesey said:

But, it is open source software, in theory anyone can port the code to any platform.

There isn't even likely to be any significant porting needed, just a change to compiler defaults and a LOT of testing to weed out any packages that mess with those defaults.

The biggest barrier is that someone will have to pay for, set up and babysit a bunch of fast arm boards with reasonable sized hard drives as much ram as possible (the imx53 quickstart seems like a good choice at the moment with 1GB ram, native sata and native ethernet) to act as autobuilders for the new variant.

I'd say it's a project easily within reach of a small group of sufficiently motivated people, Afaict many ports of debian survive on only a handful of porters.

Grumpyoldgit said:

Anything is possible but without support you are just heading down a dead end on your own. With a supported OS there will be bug fixes, security updates, regular updates

I don't think these are too big a deal, only a handful of packages should require source level changes, the rest will be able to just be rebuilt from ubuntus source with the modified toolchain packages. So security updates should mostly just be a case of accepting the new source package and letting your autobuilders build it.

Return to “Other projects”