morphy_richards

classroom case needed

Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:56 am

Can anybody help?
I'm planning to permanently fit 30 rpis in a classroom alongside standard PC's.
I want something that can be bolted / screwed down to desks.
It must enclose the sd card but be lockable and still allow for easy sd swapping.
It should also enclose some kind of cable grip. (I don't want children unplugging the power supply and charging their BlackBerrys off it)
Preferably transparent.
It would be lovely if it could include space for USB switch for mouse keyboard sharing but not essential.
Any ideas anyone?

klricks

Re: classroom case needed

Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:14 pm

I think you are going to have to make custom boxes. If it were me I would make boxes which would hold 2 maybe 4 RPi's each. Use 'zip' ties to hold the cables in place. Use a right angle adapters on the HDMI port so that cables are all routed out the same side. A plexiglass or acrylic top would give visibility.

Another option would be to use remote desktop software on the RPi's and PC's This way you would not need extra keyboards or keyboard switches. The RPi's don't even have to be in the same room, but they would all need to be connected to the network.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated RPiOS Buster w/ Desktop OS.

AVIESTech

Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:01 pm

morphy_richards wrote:Can anybody help?
I'm planning to permanently fit 30 rpis in a classroom alongside standard PC's.
I want something that can be bolted / screwed down to desks.
It must enclose the sd card but be lockable and still allow for easy sd swapping.
It should also enclose some kind of cable grip. (I don't want children unplugging the power supply and charging their BlackBerrys off it)
Preferably transparent.
It would be lovely if it could include space for USB switch for mouse keyboard sharing but not essential.
Any ideas anyone?
Our Pi Pan case covers most of the criteria listed above. The base of Pi Pan has 2 flush nuts installed so it can accept custom mounting plates. We offer two styles of security lids, the "tamper resistant" lid covers the SD and power jack while leaving room for a cable tie mount. Our "tamper proof" lid blocks access to power and SD card like the "resistant" lid but also covers the dual USB and LAN connectors. Again, there is plenty of room to use cable tie mounts, which will help prevent users from pulling out cables.

Could you post a picture of the desks you plan to use? That will give me a better idea of what features you might need on the mounting plate.

Thanks,

AVIES

gt6dan

Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:48 pm

Have a look at this http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... 0858475801
I am currently in the process of making these
If you send me some pics of the desk I could concept up something on paper as it were.
And im thinking maybe a cable grip for the cables similar to the kind you get in plugs

TeamFUZE

Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:02 pm

Hi there,
You may be interested in these cases:
http://www.fuze.co.uk
They don't tick all your boxes but gets you pretty close, maybe we can help you.

tskwara

Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:09 pm

Please see the post on this forum about the new Proto Armour: Raspberry Pi Kit. A couple pics are attached that show exactly what you are after.

The kit will sell for $35 + shipping and pre-rders are beginning next week. Shipping starts on 2/25/2013.

Please let me know if you have any questions!

-Tom
tskwara@mobileappsystems.com
Attachments
IMG_4927.jpg
Directly attach the Gertboard!
IMG_4927.jpg (47.63 KiB) Viewed 5702 times
IMG_4924.jpg
Tinker Enclosure Kit bolt-on.
IMG_4924.jpg (32.32 KiB) Viewed 5702 times
IMG_4943.jpg
Proto Armour is several colors!
IMG_4943.jpg (47.84 KiB) Viewed 5702 times
MobileApp Systems
Mobile Applications on a Mission

Makers of Proto Armour for Raspberry Pi
Explore Proto Armour / www.protoarmour.com

morphy_richards

Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:46 am

tskwara
It's a great design. The price is reasonable for what it is too.
I would really consider this if I was setting up just a few. The issue is I have to initially get 30 , then another 60 in about 3 months for the other two rooms once I'm out of piloting.
My budget is designed for buying teaching and learning resources, textbooks and so on and is modest.
Would you be able to produce a resin or plastic "budget" version?

dan3008

Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:04 pm

Do you want the 30 pi's in one box sorry?

PM me with more details and i might have a suitable design for you.
dan3008 wrote:Pays your money, takes your choice

morphy_richards

Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:54 am

One, perhaps two per box. They need to be close to VDU, keyboard etc.
There needs to be a semi permanent way of securing all cables.
SD card should be protected from impact and theft but with provision for it to be replaced.
There should be a way to secure the whole unit at a desk or table.
It should be priced so that enough cases can be bought for a fraction of the price of 30 raspberry pis.

tskwara

Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:35 pm

morphy_richards wrote:tskwara
It's a great design. The price is reasonable for what it is too.
I would really consider this if I was setting up just a few. The issue is I have to initially get 30 , then another 60 in about 3 months for the other two rooms once I'm out of piloting.
My budget is designed for buying teaching and learning resources, textbooks and so on and is modest.
Would you be able to produce a resin or plastic "budget" version?
Our shop is optimized for CNC machining of metals. While plastics/resins are well within the machining equipment's capabilities, tooling and support equipment that's already in place are tailored for working with metal (i.e. coolants, post processing, etc.).

While we worked very hard to keep pricing down as much as possible, there's a little wiggle room for quantity purchases:

1-9: full boat
10-49: 5% off
50-99: 10% off
100+: 15% off

Not much, but it's something ;)

-TS
MobileApp Systems
Mobile Applications on a Mission

Makers of Proto Armour for Raspberry Pi
Explore Proto Armour / www.protoarmour.com

AVIESTech

Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:15 pm

morphy_richards wrote:One, perhaps two per box. They need to be close to VDU, keyboard etc.
There needs to be a semi permanent way of securing all cables.
SD card should be protected from impact and theft but with provision for it to be replaced.
There should be a way to secure the whole unit at a desk or table.
It should be priced so that enough cases can be bought for a fraction of the price of 30 raspberry pis.

We decided to offer Pi Pan as a ready to paint case and production should be finished by mid-May. Check the Kickstarter link below for more details and let us know what you think!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/623 ... -raspberry

Tirpitz

Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:25 pm

What will you think about these cases from Czech company EMKO.

1. EM-RASPBERRY B: http://www.emko.cz/catalog/it-cases/min ... y-b-silver
Price (silver): 130 CZK (approx. 4.35 GBP), colour (black or blue) +45 CZK (approx. 1.51 GBP)

2. EM-RASPBERRY B PLUS: http://www.emko.cz/catalog/it-cases/min ... lus-silver
Price (silver): 185 CZK (approx. 6.19 GBP), colour (black or blue) +45 CZK (approx. 1.51 GBP)

Prices are without VAT 21%, without shipping costs and they are valid for small amount orders. For bigger orders can be price little reduced.
Version plus contains little stronger panels.

morphy_richards

Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:13 pm

What will you think about these cases from Czech company EMKO.
The issue is that it exposes the SD card. This needs to be protected as it is a weak spot and can be accidentally broken. Already happened to one.

I am looking into lengths of trunking to enclose all the pi's along a desk but it needs to be at least 125mm wide to ecnlose the SD card and mini usb power plug. It would have the advantage of being relatively easy to slide off the top to expose GPIO or replace SD card. Raspberry Pis can be fixed in place inside with a cable tie and self adhesive fixture. sadly trunking seems to be ridiculously expensive!

phil_ed

Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:16 pm

We've just started a kickstarter project for a case which meets most of your needs. It's die-cast, can be bolted down, locks away the SD card and routes the power to the rear which can be strain relieved. The design can be modified so feel free to suggest some ideas.

The project is here http://kck.st/139JYbI
PiCESml.JPG
PiCE; Zinc, die-cast Raspberry Pi case with removable side panels. (Rendered Image)
PiCESml.JPG (51.34 KiB) Viewed 4274 times

ame

Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:33 am

Hello,

May I suggest the Cyntech case, VESA bracket, and SD card cover. I think this combination will meet your requirements.

http://shop.cyntech.co.uk/products/rasp ... -enclosure
http://shop.cyntech.co.uk/products/vesa ... ry-pi-case
http://shop.cyntech.co.uk/products/sd-card-cover

Let me also suggest a dual PS/2 to USB adapter, allowing you to connect a PS/2 keyboard and PS/2 mouse to a single USB port. You could also attach a short USB extension cable to the Pi to allow the second USB port to be accessible (you could glue it to the bottom edge of the monitor).

http://dx.com/p/usb-to-ps-2-cable-adapt ... ngth-45594
http://dx.com/p/usb-2-0-extension-cable-20cm-28982

ame

Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:31 am

Actually, the Cyntech SD card cover has a hole for the power cable. You could hot-glue the plug into the hole, so that the cable can't be removed, but it can be removed when the case is disassembled. Hot-glue is only semi-permanent, which is good if you change your mind later. Or you could use epoxy, which is more permanent.

Return to “Other projects”