colbyrneuk

On the lookout for unique Pi projects

Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:26 pm

Hi all, pleased to make your acquaintance. I had a chat with Eben last week and he recommended I get familiar with the boards and the great work you guys are doing here ... I'm working on a piece for Channel 5's The Gadget Show at the moment, and looking at some of the cleverest ways the Pi has been put to use. Anyway, seems the obvious place to look for standout projects is to go straight to the source!

I guess what i'm tasked with doing is selling the brilliance of the Pi to a very mainstream audience ... that unfortunately means I can't get too technical - so, I'm looking for stuff that stands out in unusual or unique ways, or stuff that even Pi hobbyists never thought was possible.

That's pretty vague, I know, but I'd like to kick start a discussion. The goal is to get some of these creations on the show!

CB

tzj

Re: On the lookout for unique Pi projects

Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:27 am

Hi CB,

Apologies for not replying sooner, but we at The Magpi are doing our best to compile a list of projects for you.

Could you give us any deadline details or any other details we may need?

(Big fan of the show by the way)
http://www.themagpi.com <---- Checkout the MagPi
(The MagPi - Co-Founder)

GuardianBob

Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:18 pm

While this is not exactly unique, it might be something you'll be interested in.

I'm building a cabinet full size with open source games like Maelstrom (Asteroids clone), Burgerspace (Burger Time clone), etc.

Here's the kicker, I'm putting it in my office to collect cash for playing. As programmers we have some down time, and this is a great distraction while code is building. I'm collecting the cash so it can go to our December family fund.

Every December my office sponsors a family that wouldn't otherwise have Christmas. We buy their gifts, dinner, etc.
cab-side.jpg
cab-side.jpg (50.16 KiB) Viewed 1846 times
cab-front.jpg
cab-front.jpg (29.17 KiB) Viewed 1846 times
There is still a lot of work to do and money to spend on parts but this is coming together very nicely.

pygmy_giant

Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:42 am

There are some good robots starting to apear - maybe put 'robot' in the search.

I suspect there are some 'spring watch' type bird box / sensor / web cam things being worked on atm aswell.

colbyrneuk

Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:57 pm

Thanks, everyone - apologies, as I hadn't a chance to check my work email over the weekend, so I've only just saw this!

@ tzj - Much appreciated
@ GuardianBob - ordinarily I'd have jumped at the chance to feature something like that ... but there's another one of these specials coming up all about home entertainment. I'm not working on it at the moment, but I may get in touch again soon.
@ pygmy_giant - thanks, I'll have a search!

CB

colbyrneuk

Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:58 pm

Oh - also, I should have mentioned that anything anyone wants to suggest, I should really have a heads up on it by Wednesday. We'll be firming things up by then as filming is next week.

CB

Wizard

Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:17 pm

There's thousands of different projects where us tinkerers have used a Raspberry Pi in various ways but I guess most of them are considered "in progress", hence the lack of posts here.

We have everything from home automation to robotics, game emulators to headless media centers and everything else you can throw a stick at ;)

The most common usage for Raspberry Pi seems to be XBMC low-cost media players at the moment.

Personally I think RISC OS is worth mentioning but is it unique? Probably not...

I'm using a Pi to drive an ATMega 328 which reads a current sensor in order to measure how much current various functions in a [classified device] draws in my profession simply because what's commercially available is very expensive and I need many and also because I can tinker with hardware and microcontrollers at work! This is sadly not very exciting for the uninitiated and will probably not generate a big audience. ;)

Gertboard is an addon to Raspberry Pi which I think is unique in itself but that's my view.
Raspberry Pi - finally a worthy replacement for A500!!!

silverfox0786

Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:09 am

i've not started the project yet but im designing it and concepting it at the moment

what i will be doing is using the pi and prob a gertboard aswell

and will be making a home reception centre

basically when i get a guest come to my house and ring my doorbell the pi will kick in

there will be many funtions going on and thats why im concepting it at teh moment

there will be a touch screen by my couch and as the dorrbell rings a webcam will trigger to the screen (hopefully that will be changed to the pi camera once released) then i will have an i/o speaker and mic system to talk and as that is all happening an email with date time and a snapped picture will be emailed to me (this is for when im not home so i have record of who came)

the doorbell itself will be run from the pi (gertboard most likely) if i end up using the open collector then i will most prob get a simple dingdong bell with the button runing off the pi/gertboard

the last thing im thinking of but may not impliment it in my home but will concept it into the rig is a relay style door opener so i can press a button and allow the person at the door entry (only reason i wont impliment it is because i have curious kids and dont want them opening the door to strangers)

and all this i am hoping will be in a manner that the monitor screen will stay on standby (sleep) untill doorbell pressed and then turns itself on

lots going on so alot of thinking to be doing here :)

toxibunny

Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:30 am

BEETBOX.

http://scott.j38.net/interactive/beetbox/

Also, Ben heck's retro laser-cut home computer was really cool :)
note: I may or may not know what I'm talking about...

ghans

Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:05 am

A Pi has been sent to near space once. It took
beautiful photos. I can't find the frontpage post currrently...
The R2D2 featured some weeks ago also looked cool.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

Return to “Other projects”