therimmer96

iMac style case

Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:42 am

I'm planning on dismantling my desktop monitor and building a custom case that would house the panel, required pcbs, a powered hub(powering the pi as well and a mains extension lead to power the hub and monitor and maybe some speakers.

Does anyone know of a better way to power every thing through one cable?

joesnose

Re: iMac style case

Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:32 pm

Let me start by saying i am not an electrician.

The cable that powers your monitor is probably, i am still not an electrician, sufficiant to carry a little more current than your monitor needs....

So solder the wires that power your hub transformer to the inside of the monitor where the cable plugs in and fit your hub transformer inside the monitor, i am still not an electritian.

Or use the wire from or rated the same as a four way plug, as that could happily take four appliances.

I have done things likd this myself and am still not electricuted or burnt down, but always best to know your figures, and i am still not an electritian.

Use my advise at your own risk ;)

therimmer96

Re: iMac style case

Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:04 pm

joesnose wrote:Let me start by saying i am not an electrician.

The cable that powers your monitor is probably, i am still not an electrician, sufficiant to carry a little more current than your monitor needs....

So solder the wires that power your hub transformer to the inside of the monitor where the cable plugs in and fit your hub transformer inside the monitor, i am still not an electritian.

Or use the wire from or rated the same as a four way plug, as that could happily take four appliances.

I have done things likd this myself and am still not electricuted or burnt down, but always best to know your figures, and i am still not an electritian.

Use my advise at your own risk ;)
Okay, cheers, didnt think solder was capable of carrying uk mains and not melting.

If anyone would like I am willing to release the 2d design files for laser cutting when they are done, a list of items bought and maybe and instructable. the display will be a acer w223x 22 inch because i have one spare(i will have to use a adapters to get the signal down from hdmi to vga), and will use a cheap powered hub and usb powered speakers from argos to keep costs down, assuming the acrylic/plastic is going to be expensive. HOPEFULLY this will be under £100, i strongly doubt it though.

if my school wont let me use one of the lasers, does anyone have any clue of an online laser cutting service in the uk?

Return to “Other projects”