jsncrdnl

Re: ModMyPi Mk.2 USB Hub, 2.5'' HDD, Patch Bay, On/Off - Ide

Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:06 pm

I agree with last comment !

Would be better to have it a little taller than this wide.
Because there would be a big weight difference between each side of the case (with the 2"5 HDD mounted).
Also considering a 3"5 HDD support (which would be great / important IMO), the difference would be even bigger !

Please consider adding a power switch / reset button on it. It would avoid me to remove the power plug from both my HDD and Raspberry Pi everytime I leave it (no, I don't want it to stay powered up all the day).
It would even be best if built-in with a IR/bluetooth/wireless supported remote controller like one of these (http://elinux.org/RPi_VerifiedPeripherals#USB_Remotes) (there are even cheapest ones).

Not to bright / blinding info's leds.

All ports should be on the backside except 2 USB port and a memory card slot on a side (left/right).

Consider making it in a silent and still heat diffusing stuff like the rubber case from FREECOM XS's external hard drive.

Great idea by the way. I clearly need it (considering the huge spider web of my Pi)

dan_in_sd

Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:52 am

I agree with 'cyrano' above. A metal or 'metallized plastic' case would be good to keep RFI/EMI low. Also, im not fond of the 4 external USB ports. It makes the case too large. Maybe there are other USB Hub designs with 2 ports on one side of the PCB, & two ports on the other. That way we could have 2 external ports and 2 internal ones and have the new Pi case that much smaller.

And last, there should be an easy option for the 'overclocker' folks to add a 5Vdc Fan and the Heatsink Kit. For example, the case could have an area that gets "punched out" to make a perfect 40mmx40mm* hole for the fan to mount into. Those people that dont want the fan, dont have to 'punch out' the plastic. ;-)

other than that, it looks good.

* or 25mmx25mm for the teenie tiny fans
RPI #1: Model B | Over-clocked | XBMC | RPI #2: Model B+ 512MB | Beautiful metal case from Lukse.LT | RPI #3: PI2 with Camera, 64GB USB Flash and Wi-Fi

Ichi1681

Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:10 pm

It should have a RealTimeClock and the remote control couldn't you add a USB remote for xbmc users.

thelini

Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:16 pm

I have to say, the more I look at this, the more i want one.. I don't care if its not the most pretty of ideas, all I care about is the fact that it looks extremely functional (certainly for my needs).. I need a hub, I need a decent psi.. Also need a case to store all my stuff and want the wireless keyboard fob hidden..

This case fills my needs.. Seeing as its going to be hidden either beneath my tv or behind my pc monitor, looks aren't everything.

Jb2cool

Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:32 pm

That looks great. I've also been toying with ideas around this but have struggles to get the footprint small enough.

The only modification i'd make is to enable the enclosure to take 3.5" hard drives as well but i could live with a 2.5" drive.

ArtBazz

Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:47 pm

Allowing 3.5" HDD requires to provide a 12V power supply in addition to 5V... not so easy!

Jb2cool

Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:19 pm

ArtBazz wrote:Allowing 3.5" HDD requires to provide a 12V power supply in addition to 5V... not so easy!
Yeah, that's what i figured.

Cheetah

Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:21 pm

Want want want want :D

The integrated USB hub & power in an enclosure is the big thing for me. Right now anything I do with my Pi is a rat's nest not fit to be exposed to my feline friends, this looks like it would largely solve that problem.

An option for a "tall" cover for the Pi opening so that it might fit over something like this https://www.adafruit.com/products/801 would be a nifty thing (unless of course the existing design already does).

Related to that kind of thing, if there's space for it, positioning things so that a mini breadboard / protoboard could be affixed inside the case would be cool. In which case a slot to feed a ribbon cable off the GPIO connector into said free space would be apropos.

An option for a US power brick would also be nice ... I have plug adapters, and extra ones are cheap, but easier to have something "native".

Price range sounds reasonable ... hopefully shipping to the US isn't too crazy :)

wouterel

Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:55 pm

This is exactly what I am looking for. Any idea when this might become available in your web store?

crazyteknohed

Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:27 am

Obviously not possible with this iteration, but I would love to some day see a commercial Pi-in-a-keyboard solution, C64 style. Something that offers the same features as the MMP Mk2 but with a full-size (Cherry?) keyboard and touch pad, and with full I/O, UART, serial etc access from outside the case. One can but dream!

Ichi1681

Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:34 pm

Could you add built in IR reciever using GPIO ports as an option as it would be a nice option to have

sej7278

Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:34 pm

very interested in this for my "Yet Another Pi Radio" project.

at the moment i'm trying to figure out how to fit all this lot in one small case with one power cable coming out and nothing else:

raspberry pi (maybe model-a)
4+ port powered hub
nano wifi dongle
2x usb powered speakers
16x2 lcd
half-size breadboard
PCM2704 usb dac
maybe a switch/led or two
maybe a usb ir receiver for remote

at this rate it probably would have been cheaper/easier to just use an atom-based nettop!

i'm not connecting a monitor/keyboard/mouse/ethernet/lineout but wouldn't mind access to a usb port for e.g. a memory stick, and an on/off switch would be nice.

my main gripe with the pi design is the way you've got stuff hanging out of 5 sides, so the right-angle adaptors are interesting, personally i'd prefer some sort of usb ribbon cable.

but for my everyday pi usage case, i'd mainly look for access to ALL connectors and integrated usb powered hub, and i agree the hub on top of the pi in a tall/narrow case would be better than the hub and pi next to each other in a wide case.

ColinD

Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:52 pm

modmypi wrote:Price should be between £17 - £27, once everything's been accounted for.

Considering it contains a decent powered USB hub (£7 - £15), quality power supply (£5 - £10), Case (£5 - £12), and it's an integrated solution (with patch bay, switch, HDD Caddy etc.) I don't think that's too much to ask.
You'll all hate me for suggesting this but I think you are under charging given the activity of designing this itself is worth a fair bit. On top of that you're producing it and selling with all the goodies as well.

I'll give you £35 for one and not a penny less (unless you twist my arm that is) as I think that if done well this is a top notch premium solution for the Pi.
=C
Raspberry Pi articles and tutorials: www.rasptut.co.uk

magno23

Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:34 pm

^^
i also think 35£ is a great price for this case, taking into account that it would include a powered usb hub+ power supply(and possible voltage regulator)+ all the internal cables and connectors, and we can not forget that to make this case would probably be necessary to use maybe 3 injection molds and they are expensive.

sej7278

Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:34 am

magno23 wrote:^^
i also think 35£ is a great price for this case, taking into account that it would include a powered usb hub+ power supply(and possible voltage regulator)+ all the internal cables and connectors, and we can not forget that to make this case would probably be necessary to use maybe 3 injection molds and they are expensive.
is it going to be a powered hub (with its own supply) and a power supply though?

rnc

Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:56 am

When might this become available (roughly ;) ) ..... in the next month, next 6 months etc ?

Thanks!

Jb2cool

Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:28 pm

Any update on this at all?

Gary Littlemore

Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:54 pm

modmypi wrote: [*]Internal Cable patch bay - basically the aim is to reduce the spider web that the Pi can become, and make everything a little neater, we're thinking run internal M to F cables from an internally mounted Pi board to one side on the case. This way all cables can be run out on one side.
Where would you have these made? I've tried to source some and can't find anyone/anywhere that would make them.
3b+, 2b, b+, b, Zero & Zero-W

pjtewkesbury

Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:52 am

Where do I get one of these cases from - with the USB Drive holder. Love it.

One idea for consideration - a small amplifier for the PI Sound out with volume control so that we can use non-powered external speakers - or better still an internal speaker in the case.

Thanks for the hard work

Peter

alexandali

Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:36 pm

I'd buy one - as I can't find any competition for this it's got to be a winner. My ideal design would be plastic with space for a Pi and a 2.5 sata drive, maybe a USB to sata adapter, a USB hub with clearance for a couple of dongles inside and some external sockets, an on/off switch and a 5v power supply adequate to power the lot. The hdmi port could be on the side, and the rest served by optional flying leads.
I've been sourcing some short USB cables to reduce the tangle on my rig.
The end result should be an all in one server.
Certainly £35 would seem a fair price.
Get on with it!

thelini

Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:21 am

Bump..

Really interested in this, would be nice to know if there is any progress on this.. (Not wanting to sound pushy.. Just keen to get a hold of something like this)

Raspoootin

Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:55 pm

Just an idea......
I'm considering desoldering/removing the RCA video connector.
Then use the circuit board real estate to mount a normal power jack.
The miniUSB power jack is just too small and I'm always trying plug
in the usb power plug upside down. I think it's also too fragile for my
liking. Of course, one has to be willing to forego the ancient RCA
composite video connector - I'll never use it anyways.

Most pi cases already have a hole for the RCA connector which plays
nicely into power jack idea.

modmypi
Authorised Reseller
Authorised Reseller

Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:03 pm

Hello All!

Apologies for the long delay on any type of update, we've been beavering away trying to get some internal parts sorted. Switch cable and orientation of boards and cables being key. We've also been finalising design of the VESA mount, stackable option, working out what goes where, and generally doing all the annoying tedious boring stuff. BUT we've had a few probing emails so it's about time for an update :D

I'll go through where we are, then I'll answer some questions, then I'll give you some images of what we've got!

So, development has been stepped up now that we've managed to source everything!

DEVELOPMENT

Electronic Destruction Testing

Some testing to destruction on the electronic side of things is obviously important, we don't want this unit damaging anything. As we're powering via hub to Pi, the hub itself will act as a bit of a barrier to the outside world. But we obviously need to test to see how much of a barrier it is - basically we've devised a number of devious test to see how the unit reacts to a few scenarios:

We're going to see what happens if your power charger decides to dump a large current on the hub. Rare, but could happen with a faulty charger. Obviously the hub has an OC cut out, currently set at 2.5A, so we want to make sure this shorts out before anything reaches the Pi.

We're going to fill the hub with as many heavy appliances as possible, leave it running for a few days, and see how the unit copes, whether it runs warm etc.

We're basically going to run the set up as hard as possible, pump some ridiculous currents through it, place some insane draws on it, and generally cause from serious havoc and see what pop's first :twisted:

Prototyping

Obviously, we want to see if everything fits, works, and then we'll try to get minimise the design as much as possible. The plan is to get all this done before the end of the month, we'll then know exactly where we are size-wise and electronic stability-wise. If everything's OK, which I see no reason for it not to be (as we've tested these parts to bugger throughout), we should be entering the final stage of design in the first half of May.

ANSWERING Q's N' COMMENTS

@cyrano @jsncrdnl @dan_in_sd R.E. RFI/EMI
It's something we've toyed with. The unit will need to be CE certified as a full set up (e.g. including Pi) and we're hoping that simply having the unit fully enclosed will reduce any outside interference problems. I've been speaking to the moulders and they have some cool materials (like the metallised plastic that dan_in_sd mentioned) which are good at stopping interference. However, most likely we'll have someone make up mesh plates which can be internally fitted for high interference scenarios.

@srpsco R.E. Power switch
We've moved the switch on to the side of the case as requested, this actually makes a lot more sense, as the parts can now all be fitted within the bottom plate easing assembly :) We were tempted to put an LED in the power switch, but didn't in the end due to the extra current draw having a possible (minor) effect on stability.

@GordonTGopher R.E. Modularity
I see where you're going with this. You want a Pizza Oven from your Pi! :D But seriously, this has been taken on board, and we'll be designing the whole thing so it's pretty expansion friendly. Give's us scope to design additional add-on slots for those wanting to expand the unit.

@midi002 R.E. UNC
The problem with having power distribution within the case, is that we would have large voltages within the unit. This is something we want to avoid! It's preferable to leave the big stuff at the plug socket, and just take what we need.

@tekjunkie R.E. Media/Hobby different cases
The reason we're trying to incorporate both is simply that development and moulding is incredibly expensive. We would lurrve to make a different design for every conceivable application, however time and cost constraints make this impossible - hence the reason we're trying to hit as many applications as possible with this one

@bonelifer @pjtewkesbury R.E. USB Sound Board/Amplifier
Noted :D I think we're too far along to include this in the design now. But I'll see if we can source a decent kit for an add-on.

@ToxicTigger R.E. USB ports
Plan was to leave enough room internally for three of the nano type dongles (and maybe slightly bigger than that), and leave the four external ports free for the larger stuff. Due to the arrangement of the selected hub board, we'll be having all the cables running out of one side, and the external USB ports running down the adjacent corner. Noted one the low cost HDD's - shouldn't be an issue to supply a bundle kit.

@jimaxyn @jsncrdnl @MrWareWolf R.E Pizza vs Pisa
We did try a stacking option (e.g. going up not out) where the Pi actually sat on top of the hub. However first of all, it was pretty difficult to physically mount the boards, we were then worried about heat dissipation (due to heat rising), we then realised that it would diminish some performance aspects in terms of being able to have internal USB ports, it then reduced the VESA options and the HDD caddy options that were available. It also complicated the actual moulding process - due to 'undercuts', which would increase the actual cost of the moulding tools themselves. So it was scrapped and we went for Pizza instead. Plus Pizza is awesome.

@MrWareWolf R.E. GPIO
Noted, we'll leave a slot for a ribbon cable, it's an easy addition.

@dan_in_sd @MrWareWolf R.E. Fan
Fan would not be included but we could probably put together a fan expansion set for those who want extra cooling. We might even be able to produce a modular window which has special cut outs for a fan - cool huh!

@ColinD @ magno23 @alexandali R.E. Price
Haha, thanks for the suggestion :lol: We'll need to see what the bill comes out at and then make the price fair to everyone compared to taking the parts individually as a spider web solution. I would think a £34.99 PP would be the maximum.

@Gary Littlemore R.E. Patch cables
We're having them made bespoke by one of our suppliers in China. We'll probably put these cables on sale other than just with the cases, so you'll be able to get them direct from us. Right Angle LAN Whhhaaaaaat?! These were impossible to find.

I think that's most of them! Sorry if I missed you, but hopefully I've covered the Q's and satisfied some suggestions there. Keep em' coming!

WHAT HAVE YOU BEEN DOING?!

We've been adding some details around how everything will be fixed within the case, and working through the VESA/HDD caddy - trying to work through orientation, whether it should be 'open' or 'closed', and just generally ironing out issues.

Anyway enough talk - Time for some pictures me thinks.

Case Renders w/ Stacking Feet
Image Image Image

Window Options

VESA Caddy
Image Image

SOME EXTRA STUFF

Gaming - we're planning on putting together a 'gaming' retro console kit for the case e.g. where the four external USB ports act as ports for game controller's (these would be included), and the whole thing geared and set up with emulators. Suggestions?

XBMC - Same plan, but we'd be putting a kit together geared towards using the units as a media solution. This would be kitted with a HDD Caddy and decent sized HD, a mini keyboard/remote, or possibly FLIRC. Again, any suggestions?

Fixed Purpose - We want to make the unit safe for use in Schools and places where it might be left unattended. So, we'll be integrating a system (fixing screws) that means you'll be able to fix the unit together 'permanently' (e.g. it'll take a minute or two to un-assemble) or at least it'll be obvious if someone's trying to nick it off the back of a TV or desk :) These fixed mounting options would of course be optional, so if you don't want it fixed, it'll simply have a 5 second clip solution too.

Developer - We want to make this case friendly for developers too, so we'll feature a 'raised' window which means that expansion boards can easily be added and fitted within the case. There's been a call for an internal breadboard slot, so I'll get the boys to have a think about this - no promises.

As always, keep your ideas, comments and suggestions coming!
Raspberry Pi Cases for your Raspberry Pi! Unique, colourful, customisable designs available from ModMyPi now!

Cheetah

Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:06 pm

Given this update, I will repeat and amplify my prior post:
WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT
:P

On a more coherent note, the updated renders look quite nice.

Also, for us USAians, do you expect to have a US wall wart as an option, and do you have a rough idea what international shipping to the USA on something like this would be?

Return to “Other projects”