Re: VirtualBox simulator and emulator - now with added Cow

Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:09 pm

PiCurious said:

bluesquirrel said:

VNC server running on `127.0.0.1:5901'
..."
Any idea?

Thank you for helping me!

Let me see if have learned anything... like you I thought I had a problem.  Then I realised that despite the errors I was being told that a VNC server was running, so all I needed to do was fire up VNC viewer to see what the RPi emulator was doing.

I reckon you just need to proceed to the next step in the ReadMe "connecting to the Raspberry Pi Emulator" and see how you go.  Disclaimer - I'm an enthusiastic noob

Hi, at my first attempt to run the emulator I have just experienced this problem (could not initialize DAC etc).

So I tried your suggestion of proceeding to the next step (xtightvncviewer localhost) but got "Connection refused"

Any ideas out there?

thomas.erskine

Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:20 am

Hi.

I had a similar problem "Connection refused", which I think I've figured out part of the problem.  When doing the "./launchDebian" command, the output ended with "VNC server running on `::1:5900'".  That's talking about the IPV6 loopback.

That made me wonder about whether networking was being set up correctly.  So I looked, using "ifconfig -a" and the network interface wasn't being brought up. Try "ifconfig -a" .  When it's not up, it looks something like:

eth1 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 08:00:27:f8:95:da
BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1 ... when it is up, it'll look something like: eth1 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 08:00:27:f8:95:da
inet addr:192.168.2.13 Bcast:192.168.2.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
inet6 addr: fe80::a00:27ff:fef8:95da/64 Scope:Link
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1 Your "inet addr" may be different; the important thing is "UP". [Yes, I realize thatvnc is being done over the loopback interface, but after trying various ways to getxtightvncviewer to pay attention to the IPV6 loopback, I got distracted, which turnedout to be a good thing.] So, to try bringing the interface up manually, I typed "sudo ifup eth1", which gotme the error "Ignoring unknown interface eth1=eth1.". I was a bit suspicious of seeing"eth1" instead of the more usual "eth0", so I looked. Type "cat /etc/network/interfaces"and sure enough, eth0 was configured but not eth1, so I modified it with"sudo nano /etc/network/interfaces" and added the lines:  auto eth1
iface eth1 inet dhcp Then "sudo ifup eth0" did its magic: Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Client V3.1.3
Copyright 2004-2009 Internet Systems Consortium.
All rights reserved.
For info, please visit https://www.isc.org/software/dhcp/

Listening on LPF/eth1/08:00:27:f8:95:da
Sending on LPF/eth1/08:00:27:f8:95:da
Sending on Socket/fallback
DHCPDISCOVER on eth1 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 8
DHCPOFFER of 192.168.2.13 from 192.168.2.1
DHCPREQUEST of 192.168.2.13 on eth1 to 255.255.255.255 port 67
DHCPACK of 192.168.2.13 from 192.168.2.1
bound to 192.168.2.13 -- renewal in 101028 seconds. However, now when I do "xtightvncviewer localhost", it works! Hope that helps 
keble said:

PiCurious said:

bluesquirrel said:

VNC server running on `127.0.0.1:5901'
..."
Any idea?

Thank you for helping me!

Let me see if have learned anything... like you I thought I had a problem.  Then I realised that despite the errors I was being told that a VNC server was running, so all I needed to do was fire up VNC viewer to see what the RPi emulator was doing.

I reckon you just need to proceed to the next step in the ReadMe "connecting to the Raspberry Pi Emulator" and see how you go.  Disclaimer - I'm an enthusiastic noob

Hi, at my first attempt to run the emulator I have just experienced this problem (could not initialize DAC etc).

So I tried your suggestion of proceeding to the next step (xtightvncviewer localhost) but got "Connection refused"

Any ideas out there?

keble

Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:41 pm

Hi Thomas,

Many thanks for the tip.

I ran ifconfig -a and got

(Sorry for the image, I don't know how to copy/paste from Virtual Box to this web page on Mac - will go and find out, right now the help is stalling).

So it has got eth0 UP.1010

victagayun

Thu May 17, 2012 9:42 am

nick.mccloud wrote:You can download the VirtualBox image here:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/606232.....ualBox.zip

If you need VirtualBox (a free download):

https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

User is rpi and password is password.

The Ubuntu host that the VirtualBox image provides has Python & Geany installed on it so you can follow the programming tutorials at:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Ra.....iTutorials

If you wish to emulate an actual ARM device, launch LXTerminal and:

./getDebian

which will download and unpack the Debian ARM disk image, a kernel and a launch file.

cd debian

./launchDebian

Enter the password for sudo (remembering that the password is password) and it will show a couple of lines of setup.

Launch xtightvncviewer from right at the bottom of the Other menu (click bottom left to get to the menus).

Type localhost and press return.

This will connect you to the Debian ARM 'screen' so you can actually see something.

Login as root, password is password.

cat /proc/cpuinfo and lo, you are in a copy of Debian that is running on an ARM processor.

Nothing is installed expect the bare minimum to get you in - it does have apt sources setup so you can start installing straightaway.

If you want to really confuse yourself, why not setup just like the Ubuntu host is:

apt-get install lxde xorg python geany

Ensure you click in the VNC viewer window so that when you are asked for keyboard/character set options you see the dialog boxes come up. If you forget, just click and press an up or down key to get the window to refresh.

As LXDE isn't keen on the root user logging in, add a new user:

adduser userNameOfYourChoiceHere

You will be prompted to enter a new password - it is important that you remember it!

Reboot:

shutdown -r now

and when it comes back, you can login with your new user and password. You can surf the internet with IceWeasel (a bug fixed version of FireFox) and program Python with Geany.

Hello Nick,

Virtualbox seems to have a problem regarding USB Broadband Wireless modem (3G+). And my purpose for a virtual machine is to learn how to install the USB modem. I have an experience in windows running on Virtualbox that only the signal can be detected but cannot connect to the ISP. Same is true for Debian, lsusb can detect but cannot connect. But when I use VMware, the USb modem is working and i can even share through USB wifi using Connectify software. Do you have an image for VMware?

nick.mccloud

Thu May 17, 2012 11:00 am

victagayun wrote:
Virtualbox seems to have a problem regarding USB Broadband Wireless modem (3G+). And my purpose for a virtual machine is to learn how to install the USB modem. I have an experience in windows running on Virtualbox that only the signal can be detected but cannot connect to the ISP. Same is true for Debian, lsusb can detect but cannot connect. But when I use VMware, the USb modem is working and i can even share through USB wifi using Connectify software. Do you have an image for VMware?
Yes, but only if you promise not to click the quote button for no apparent reason on long posts that have no relevance to your question ;)

http://rpi.descartes.co.uk/sim-emu/

victagayun

Thu May 17, 2012 12:33 pm

hello nick, thanks for the files..
there is a new release dated 19-04-2012, while on your site it is still 21-Feb-2012, are there any differences?
thanks!

nick.mccloud

Thu May 17, 2012 1:52 pm

victagayun wrote:hello nick, thanks for the files..
there is a new release dated 19-04-2012, while on your site it is still 21-Feb-2012, are there any differences?
thanks!
Yeah, I haven't updated it since then - been busy - but it should allow you to test things and you can always download the latest images to unpack and run in the emulator yourself.

victagayun

Thu May 17, 2012 2:03 pm

nick.mccloud wrote: Yeah, I haven't updated it since then - been busy - but it should allow you to test things and you can always download the latest images to unpack and run in the emulator yourself.
ahh ok thanks again...
im still downloading the files.. and I'm on 3G so it's a bit slow...
what i would like to do is to simulate when the pi arrives...
basically, I will have 3G connection via usb and no LAN connection (i dont have router and it would be a pain in the ass to make a crosscable and make my laptop to share the internet)...
i have saved all my deb files from the cache folder...
edit my sources to include the USB flashdrive and get the network-manager from there..
once connection is established i can update files and connect the USB wifi to share it...
thanks, i hope i can test this later...

victagayun

Fri May 18, 2012 12:06 am

nick.mccloud wrote: Yeah, I haven't updated it since then - been busy - but it should allow you to test things and you can always download the latest images to unpack and run in the emulator yourself.
i cannot run the vm :( , im just running 32bit win7, too bad..

nick.mccloud

Fri May 18, 2012 7:54 am

victagayun wrote:
i cannot run the vm :( , im just running 32bit win7, too bad..
Can you expand on this - you said you wanted a VMware image - do you not have VMware on your machine?

victagayun

Fri May 18, 2012 11:20 am

nick.mccloud wrote: Can you expand on this - you said you wanted a VMware image - do you not have VMware on your machine?
1. download your file and unzip
2. open vm
3. power on
4. vmware tells me that the guest os is configured as 64bit and long mode is disabled... so i suspect this is your host os too 64bit... clicked yes, when vmware told me to continue without this support..
5. vmware displays this "The CPU has been disabled by the guest os. Power off or reset the vm...
it cannot boot... :(

nick.mccloud

Fri May 18, 2012 12:40 pm

victagayun wrote:
nick.mccloud wrote: Can you expand on this - you said you wanted a VMware image - do you not have VMware on your machine?
4. vmware tells me that the guest os is configured as 64bit and long mode is disabled... so i suspect this is your host os too 64bit... clicked yes, when vmware told me to continue without this support..
5. vmware displays this "The CPU has been disabled by the guest os. Power off or reset the vm...
it cannot boot... :(
OK, can't remember which machine I made this on - must of been the MacBook as the Win7 box is 32 bit. The VM collection could all do with a refresh so if you can hang on a couple of days ...

victagayun

Fri May 18, 2012 12:50 pm

nick.mccloud wrote: OK, can't remember which machine I made this on - must of been the MacBook as the Win7 box is 32 bit. The VM collection could all do with a refresh so if you can hang on a couple of days ...
thank you very much nick...

transmission89

Thu May 31, 2012 9:35 am

Hi, thanks for the great emulator!!

I've managed to get it to run successfully but can't access the GUI. I type 'startx' but it replies that the command cannot be found.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:31 pm

Could you upload it again :?: dropbox said it wasn't there.

burnardburns

Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:15 am

Quick question, why does nothing work in this virtual machine?

Geany loads, as does the browser. But most other things, Python included, jsut do not work. You get a error box saying "no such file or directory".

What gives?

colin B

Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:39 am

burnardburns wrote:Quick question, why does nothing work in this virtual machine?

Geany loads, as does the browser. But most other things, Python included, jsut do not work. You get a error box saying "no such file or directory".

What gives?
It's been sometime since I used the VM, but I think you need to apt-get install python
On a clear disk one can seek forever

Pi-eye'd

Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:15 am

Nice job on the emulator Nick!

I've managed to get everthing working per your instructions, including the emulator, and this with absolutely no prior Linux experience. I'm planning to finally get my feet wet in Linux & Python using the R-Pi.

However, I am experiencing some relatively minor annoyances.

1./ I cannot seem to find a way to increase the size of the TightVNC: QEMU window, and/or, the emulated-pi desktop itself. Both seem fixed to 640x480 even if the ubuntu host is at 1680x946. Also tried running the TightVNC viewer in fullscreen mode. I also looked for a way to configure the server's resolution settings but there seems to be no "xorg.conf" file to play with or any other way I could find to do this. Browsing in Iceweasel works but pages don't like working with 640x480.

2./ The mouse pointer tracks very poorly with the mouse focus in the TightVNC: QEMU window.

3./ The CPU usage in the emulator (and ubuntu host) are nearly always maxd out - no matter what I run in the emulator. This does not happen in the ubuntu host prior to starting the emulator.

4./ I seem to be corrupting my config by improperly shutting down. How does one do a clean shutdown all the way back to closing VirtualBox? For example, when I properly exit from the emulator desktop (using shutdown), the xserver seems to keep running even though I close the viewer window. If I restart TightVNC viewer, things seem to be back exactly the way they were when I closed the previous viewer window. Furthermore, I cannot restart the emulator unless I reboot the ubuntu host.

Some setup details:
Win7 (SP1) 64bit on an HP Pavilion DM1 laptop (AMD fusion APU) with 4GB RAM
All latest Windows Updates
VirtualBox ver 4.1.18 r78361
All else was done explicitly per Nick's instructions.

Any help with the above would be most appreciated.

nick.mccloud

Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:19 pm

Whilst functional and still maybe useful, this emu setup has rather been overtaken by shipping Pi's and some direct Qemu offerings for Windows.

1. I never did either - it wasn't really to run a browser in as you can do that on your host machine :D

2. Yup, sorry, constraints of the three layers of OS's I believe.

3. Yup, constraints of a virtualised Ubuntu emulating an ARM.

4. You should/must shutdown the emulated Pi before Ctrl-C'ing in the terminal window that launches qemu. Then you can shutdown Ubuntu normally. Then you can shutdown the host!

Not really useful answers, more confirmation that you aren't doing anything particularly wrong!

bpanther

Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:42 pm

Hi,
I have tried to use this Virtual machine, it's very nice.

But, I have installed the "ftp" by:
apt-get install ftp
and it installs with success this package.

When I try to connect to a server by rpi/emulator,
I can log in on server by ServerName/username ancd associated password,
I got the message from server that I am logged in.

After this step if I try any ftp specific command, for example "ls",
I got the shell in stall. I mean, the shell is in waiting for the results from command.

It's the same for the ftp used inside a shell on ubuntu virtual machine used to run rpi/emulator.

Do you have any idea on this problem?
Do you get the same?

Important for me, will I can use ftp on real raspberry?
At moment I am in waiting list from RS components to get one.

Thank a lot for your support.

Best Regards
bpanther

PrechaC

Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:52 am

Launched VM, logged in, when i run ./getDebian in LXTerminal, I get:

bash: ./getDebian: No such file or directory.

Please help.

Thanks,

PrechaC

Nighthawk4

Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:19 pm

rurwin wrote:I'm still having problems with the keyboard when run from Windows. Adding  the qemu flag "-k en-gb" helps, but it still looks like a US keyboard on the RPi, even though that flag and the guest keyboard-configuration is set to UK.

Is anyone else seeing this?
I get this too.

I tried setting to a UK keyboard. I also tried the 'mac' option as I am using VirtualBox on a Mac.

Still no luck. No £ key, no hash key. If I try Shift-3 it gives an error.
Also the usual (for a Mac) @ and " are reversed. I can cope with those and probably will not need a £ sign, but I assume the # will be required eventually.

I also notice that things like the contents of /etc/default are completely different in the emulation compared with the host Debian. Is this due to the one being for Intel and the other for ARM?

Nighthawk4

Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:07 am

Nighthawk4 wrote:
rurwin wrote:I'm still having problems with the keyboard when run from Windows. Adding  the qemu flag "-k en-gb" helps, but it still looks like a US keyboard on the RPi, even though that flag and the guest keyboard-configuration is set to UK.

Is anyone else seeing this?
I get this too.

I tried setting to a UK keyboard. I also tried the 'mac' option as I am using VirtualBox on a Mac.

Still no luck. No £ key, no hash key. If I try Shift-3 it gives an error.
Also the usual (for a Mac) @ and " are reversed. I can cope with those and probably will not need a £ sign, but I assume the # will be required eventually.

I also notice that things like the contents of /etc/default are completely different in the emulation compared with the host Debian. Is this due to the one being for Intel and the other for ARM?
This seems fixed now thanks.

I took the advice posted elsewhere in this thread and installed console-options and then changed the keyboard setting in the VM from gb to us and it now works. Counter-intuitive, but if it works...... ;)

That also changed the fontsize in the qemu screen to a much more readable size.

All that is left is that 'startx' is still not found. Do I need to install the whole X windows system?

jutta

Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:52 pm

My Bittorrent Client tells me, it has problems with the URL ("unknown url type") and when I look into the details I find "udp://tracker.openbittorrent.co:80/announce" which relly looks unusual. (That is the torrent from the zip-file from your dropbox link.) Is there something wrong with the torrent or is my client wrong?

randall

Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:34 pm

How many posts do I need to make to download this? It says i can not download it because I do not have eneough posts but i really mostly read forums and jump in when needed.

Return to “Other projects”