mikegrimwade

Re: Home Automation Question

Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:53 am

I was thinking of trying to acheive something like this …

http://makeprojects.com/pdf/ma.....453_en.pdf

This example uses the Bit Whacker development board to interface with a 433mhz remote control. The Bit Whacker is based on a PIC18F2550 which is slightly different to the PIC on the Gertboard. I would describe myself as a learning amateur at best but my gut says that that the difference is negligable and that I could use the Gertboard instead of the Bit Whacker to acheive the same result.

Could any of you cleverer sounding people confirm this?

Also if so, could you confirm if I would need to develop my own drivers or could I use the Gertboard drivers and code-patterns shown in the demo video? I hope so as the code there looks easy enough to implement.

emg

Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:58 am

Hi Mike,

I plan on taking a slightly different route:

http://www.instructables.com/i.....utomation/

Using a remote as a transmitter, you don't need to worry about protocols. You simply drive the opto relays 'on' for the right button for your paired device. The example only shows 4 devices but the remote can address 16. My project is single purpose so I need just 2. This seemed just easier than developing a full on 433Mhz xmitter solution.

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:12 am

mikegrimwade said:

Could any of you cleverer sounding people confirm this?

Yes. A RaspPi with, or possibly without, a Gertboard would handle this task.
However there are some difficulties you should be aware of:
The Gertboard uses an AVR now, rather than a PIC, so you can't use any of his code.
The particular R/C modules that he uses seem to be unavailable from Maplin where he got them from.
If you use a different R/C module, you will need to do all the same work as he did in figuring out how to build the unit.
It would be an interesting project to build one of these systems from scratch, using an AVR, a radio receiver and a relay in each plug and a RaspPi and radio transmitter in the controller. I doubt you could do it as compactly or as cost-effectively, but it should come fairly close.
12 + 12 Jackpot!

mikegrimwade

Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:42 am

skifreund said:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/for.....on/page-11

similar topic

Ooo thanks I'll take a look at this. I did do a search and browsed about the first 10 pages. I guess I needed to keep going a little bit further, thanks.

mikegrimwade

Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:46 am

emg said:

Hi Mike,

I plan on taking a slightly different route:

http://www.instructables.com/i.....utomation/

Using a remote as a transmitter, you don't need to worry about protocols. You simply drive the opto relays 'on' for the right button for your paired device. The example only shows 4 devices but the remote can address 16. My project is single purpose so I need just 2. This seemed just easier than developing a full on 433Mhz xmitter solution.

Hmm this I like! I could use the led's on the Gertboard to drive it. Thanks emg I'm going to put this on the plan B pile in case plan A turns out to be too challenging.

mikegrimwade

Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:53 am

rurwin said:

The Gertboard uses an AVR now, rather than a PIC, so you can"t use any of his code.
I'm not familiar with AVRs I'll go look them up.

If you use a different R/C module, you will need to do all the same work as he did in figuring out how to build the unit.

I had expected this and was hoping to either research or duplicate his efforts.

Thanks for your advice

Return to “Other projects”