Mechduino

Xbox 360 Chatpad with Raspberry Pi

Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:41 am

The title really says it all, I want to interface an Xbox 360 chatpad with the Raspberry Pi. So far I have three ideas,
A. Plug into Xbox Controller which plugs into a powered USB hub which plugs into the Pi(Not my favorite as I am looking for portability.)
B. Manually interface it with the Pi using its output and Pi-side code.
C. Use it with an arduino leonardo to emulate a keyboard then interface it with the Pi.
B would be the best, but I am a bit of a newb in this area so a prod in the right direction would be nice.
Thanks. :D
Bluebian, the better Raspbian, okay maybe worse, well...definitely worse.

BirchJD

Re: Xbox 360 Chatpad with Raspberry Pi

Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:55 am

http://www.newsdownload.co.uk/

Mechduino

Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:58 am

Very helpful, thank you.
Bluebian, the better Raspbian, okay maybe worse, well...definitely worse.

Nixon

Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:24 pm

Hmm hit a problem while trying to set up the ChatPad. Made a shield similar to BirchJD's first version without the LEDs, and successfully installed the drivers. After a reboot, the driver runs and the Pi detects and initializes the ChatPad. Annoyingly, when I try and type my username, nothing happens.

Anyone got any advice?

BirchJD

Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:30 pm

After it initializes give it a few seconds, should be no more than ten seconds. When mine first loads the driver it takes a few seconds before the chatpad starts sending keystrokes.

If it still doesn't, plug in a regular keyboard or login via ssh and type:
ps -ef | grep RemoteKeypad

To see if the driver is running.

Digitalblueeye

Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:27 pm

Birch I could use your help if you don't mind, I had previously found and tried out your Chatpad setup, today I was trying to install the drivers to my model b pi and I got halfway thru until I got this error message after typing ./install.sh:
Cp: cannot create regular file '/etc/init.d/RemoteKeypadDriver.sh ' : permission denied

Then I got:
Update-rc.d: using dependency based boot sequencing
Update-rc.d :error: unable to read /etc/init.d/RemoteKeypadDriver.sh

Would greatly appreciate help :)

Digitalblueeye

Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:17 am

Oki so never mind that last one, fixed by Chmod +x install.sh in the install.sh file and then running from root user, but I still have a issue , it's not working and gave me some warnings after install, it does show files on boot up tho so it's partly working

Digitalblueeye

Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:22 am

Claims to be missing LSB tags and overrides, on both the RKD.sh ( remote keypad...) and the math kernel

BirchJD

Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:49 pm

I'm not sure what RKD.sh is, it's not part of the install that I remember. And the math kernel sounds like you make be looking at log entries not related to the ChatPad. Can you post the entires you are seeing, and I'll see if it is related.

Digitalblueeye

Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:42 am

I was just abriviating the full file name, RKD is really remote keypad driver.sh.
Later last year I got the it installed correctly but for some reason It still wasnt working... I dont think it was hardware. I tryed exec. the program on its own but no luck.
would you consider updating the files for the new raspberry pi 2? Im hoping it would work this time around, if so i may use it to make a portable pi device.

MohitBagur

Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:31 pm

This idea could use a USB to RS 232 Serial converter. Watch Ben Heck's video for further info.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hjdj14C_jAI

spydergto

Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:59 pm

Hi not sure how old this is now ?

ive done all this and still no chatpad , theres another guy working on something similar to me over on hackaday.io and he has the same as me.

Ive got 4 wires with pin headers on the cables two wires soldered a 1k onto inline , RPI B+ i checked the pins ive wired chatpad rx to tx pi and chatpad tx to rx pi , i did your instructions step by step , i also read here and changed the file , it was default for 250 but it didnt work so i set it to 250 still didnt work ,

i ran your grep and two instances were there, root and users

i saw somewhere else i thought it was here but you mentioned a config file and editing the gpio pin headers to leave 14 and 15 , i did that too , still nothing ,

im stumped but i refuse to give up , at first i though you had flashed the other firmware with a pickit2 which i now have from chain post in my possession so even a usb to rs 232 idk how this thing ends up working i want the chatpad ...

can anyone help me peas ?

gal-x-e

Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:40 pm

+1

Me too

facelessloser

Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:37 pm

spydergto wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:59 pm
Hi not sure how old this is now ?

ive done all this and still no chatpad , theres another guy working on something similar to me over on hackaday.io and he has the same as me.

Ive got 4 wires with pin headers on the cables two wires soldered a 1k onto inline , RPI B+ i checked the pins ive wired chatpad rx to tx pi and chatpad tx to rx pi , i did your instructions step by step , i also read here and changed the file , it was default for 250 but it didnt work so i set it to 250 still didnt work ,

i ran your grep and two instances were there, root and users

i saw somewhere else i thought it was here but you mentioned a config file and editing the gpio pin headers to leave 14 and 15 , i did that too , still nothing ,

im stumped but i refuse to give up , at first i though you had flashed the other firmware with a pickit2 which i now have from chain post in my possession so even a usb to rs 232 idk how this thing ends up working i want the chatpad ...

can anyone help me peas ?
Hey I too is running into the same trouble you are having. Can I ask you what chat pad you have. Is it the white and gray one with the PIC/Microsoft chip or is it the black one with gray buttons. If you look around the internet all the people that have had success with there chat pads have been using the black and gray one.

Ive ordered a black and gray one to test out my theory

mitya1234

Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:28 pm

Hello!

I've made chatpad's china replica get to work.
So the driver didn't initialised well (chatpad didn't receive an 87 02 8C 1F CC bytes, only awake section).
I've made a systemd daemon to make it work. Daemon starts after login and chatpad works well.
I have a question: How may i add an other function to keys (ex. Up, Down, because chatpad has only left and right)?
_Qra7eIZev0.jpg
_Qra7eIZev0.jpg (161.18 KiB) Viewed 3926 times
The attachment _Qra7eIZev0.jpg is no longer available

Tytie

Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:46 pm

only non Microsoft brands work for this so 3d party remotes will work

hippy

Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:40 am

Tytie wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:46 pm
only non Microsoft brands work for this so 3d party remotes will work
I can't speak for the Pi software / driver being discussed here but I have just completed a project to interface a microcontroller to Chatpads and that is all working fine using Microsoft manufactured Chatpads; White/Grey X814365-001 and Black/Black X852479-001.

That's using the standard reverse engineered protocol as documented at http://cliffle.com/project/chatpad/protocol and elsewhere so I cannot see any reason the official Microsoft products should not also work with a Pi.

Return to “Other projects”