nick.mccloud

Re: Rolled my own Simulator/Emulator

Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:24 am

Using info from Russell (ukscone) and http://www.cnx-software.com/20.....-with-qemu/ I've got as far as a slim copy of Ubuntu with Qemu 1.0 compiled which can then run Debian Squeeze for ARM with pretty much anything you like (I've installed lxde on it for instance) and I'm working on a Fedora for ARM once I get my head around building a distro I haven't touched in years.

Simulator: The Ubuntu base uses lxde, has python & geany installed so you can explore programming as per http://www.youtube.com/user/Ra.....iTutorials

Emulator: Launch the Debian image using Qemu and cat /proc/cpuinfo reports it's running an ARM chip, you can apt-get install to your hearts contents and gcc/make until the cows come home.

Being a paid as well as an amateur geek I got carried away and built the Ubuntu for 64bit in VMware Fusion (being a Mac geek too). The VMware easily moves to my Windows box.

I will redo the base Ubuntu for 32bit on VirtualBox if there is interest.

In the meanwhile does anyone want a hack at this? You'll need a VT capable CPU plus VMware Player (a free download) as a minimum.

Initial download for the base Ubuntu is 500Mb and the Debian ARM image is around 200Mb.

nick.mccloud

Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:51 am

Screenshots:

slacer

Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:05 am

Hmm, you have a linux in an ARM environment inside Qemu inside an Ubuntu in VMWare Fusion on a Mac?

It is a very strange setup, but it could run on my windows with VMWare Workstation, too

Is it possible for you to share your vmware image as a kind of quickstart?

nick.mccloud

Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:22 am

Uploading it now - it will be late afternoon before it is available.

I know it's kind of a weird setup but it acts as a sandbox and doesn't require you to have to compile and install the latest Qemu on your own machine.

slacer

Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:27 am

Great

nick.mccloud

Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:41 pm

You can download the VMware image here:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/606232.....erryPi.zip

If you need VMware Player (a free download):

http://downloads.vmware.com/d/.....player/4_0

User is rpi and password is password.

Two housekeeping items:

1. It will be useful to expand the screen size by clicking bottom left, up to Preferences and then Monitor settings. Choose something appropriate for your monitor.

2. It is highly likely that the VMware DHCP has not connected after the long journey - renew it by:

Click the icon bottom left, up to Accessories, choose LXTerminal. Type:

sudo dhclient

You will be prompted for your password which you will recall is password

The Ubuntu host that the VMware image provides has Python & Geany installed on it so you can follow the programming tutorials at:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Ra.....iTutorials

If you wish to emulate an actual ARM device, launch LXTerminal and:

./getDebian

which will download and unpack the Debian ARM disk image, a kernel and a launch file.

cd debian

./launchDebian

Enter the password for sudo (remembering that the password is password) and it will show a couple of lines of setup.

Launch xtightvncviewer from right at the bottom of the Other menu (click bottom left to get to the menus).

Type localhost and press return.

This will connect you to the Debian ARM 'screen' so you can actually see something.

Login as root, password is password.

cat /proc/cpuinfo and lo, you are in a copy of Debian that is running on an ARM processor.

Nothing is installed expect the bare minimum to get you in - it does have apt sources setup so you can start installing straightaway.

If you want to really confuse yourself, why not setup just like the Ubuntu host is:

apt-get install lxde xorg python geany

Ensure you click in the VNC viewer window so that when you are asked for keyboard/character set options you see the dialog boxes come up. If you forget, just click and press an up or down key to get the window to refresh.

As LXDE isn't keen on the root user logging in, add a new user:

adduser userNameOfYourChoiceHere

You will be prompted to enter a new password - it is important that you remember it!

Reboot:

shutdown -r now

and when it comes back, you can login with your new user and password. You can surf the internet with IceWeasel (a bug fixed version of FireFox) and program Python with Geany.

slacer

Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:54 pm

Thank you for your great contribution

slacer

Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:58 pm

Great!

It is working without any problems.

Thank you

nick.mccloud

Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:44 pm

Thanks for the feedback, good to know - and my customers say I spend too much of their money on testing!

bennybubble

Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:13 pm

Works very very well!

nick.mccloud

Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:02 pm

DropBox has hit it's limit - see Simulator & emulator downloads for a new link

slinxy

Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:34 pm

sorry but I must be blind as I can't find the selection let alone the link.

jordan314

Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:16 pm

Hi,
Does anyone have an emulator download for this? The ubuntu link above doesn't work anymore. I've been trying to follow a couple tutorials on running Qemu natively on mac, namely this one: http://igor.gold.ac.uk/~mas01mjy/wp/?p=95
I tried both the debian6 distro and the raspbian distro, but both give me the error "Unimplemented flash cmd sequence (offset 0000000000000000, wcycle 0x0 cmd 0x0 value 0xf000f0)
pflash_write: Unimplemented flash cmd sequence (offset 0000000000000000, wcycle 0x0 cmd 0x0 value 0xf0)"
Any one have Qemu working on mac?

kuske

Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:47 pm

Same issues as jordan,
seems to be difficult to download a current VMware image at the moment.

Return to “Other projects”