BjarkeHedegaard

Re: Squeeze Player on the Raspberry Pi

Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:44 pm

Hello there!

I've searched around the forum for a answer to this, but I couldn't find it discussed.

I plan on using a Pi board as Squeeze Player, but I'm not sure if it is possible.

http://downloads.slimdevices.c.....y/?ver=7.7

In this link you can see the nightly's that are currently available, but I'm not sure if the player is available for the ARM processor. I see that the server is, but would you think the player will work with it. There is a playr available for the Debian OS, but I'm not sure if it works with the ARM.

Any thoughts would be awesome!

Thank you!

PimpMyPi

Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:03 pm

As it seems that the players are made by Logitech it seems strange that they would open up their source completely.

Your best bet would be to get an gcc cross toolchain setup and see if it can compile it!

fruitloaf

Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:45 am

There are a couple of different squeeze players (and yes AFAIK know logitech do provide open source software players). There is a Java based desktop player but there is also a command line one available too which I assume is Java too but I'm not sure.

I don't see why they wouldn't work on the Pi

BjarkeHedegaard

Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:01 pm

It must be open source to some level, as these nightlies works perfect, and I've bought an app for my phone that works great too. Thanks for the input fruitloaf. I hope you're right, and if the software is pure java, it most possibly is.

It just made me wonder that the ARM support for the server software is specifically mentioned while there's no such note about the client software (the squeeze player). But maybe it's just obvious that it will work on ARM too.

I'm pretty sure the players from Logitech are ARM based.

walney

Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:43 am

The software at least used to be coded in Perl (don"t know whether it still is). The reason that it was open source predates ownership by Logitech – it was developed during the days of Slim Devices, who were the creators of the Squeezebox (and subsequently bought out by Logitech a couple of years ago).

Edit: yep – the server is still perl, you can download the source (http://www.squeezenetwork.com/download)

tawalker

Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:13 pm

We have a Squeezebox Duet at home, with Logitech Media Server (the latest name for the Squeezebox server) running on our Synology NAS box - a great setup, and I've experimented with "extending" it to other parts of the house, via software Squeezebox "emulators".

Softsqueeze is pretty good if you have a reasonably powerful desktop/laptop (it runs under Java) and really need a GUI, but I really don't think it would suit the RasPi on a number of levels.

The player I'd want to try on the RasPi is Squeezeslave, which I've successfully run at home on my netbook (Arch/x86). It's console-based, and can be run as a daemon in the background if you so wish. The program acts only as a player, so you "send" music to it from the server via a SB controller (either the server's Web GUI, the SB Controller handset or an Android/iOS device running the Squeezebox app).

I have no idea whether Squeezeslave can be made to work under an ARM Linux on the RasPi, but I can't see why not. The program Web site offers an ARM Linux executable for download, and as long as it fits in the available RAM and can access the sound subsystem, I'd imagine Squeezeslave would make the ideal software SB player for the RasPi. Look forward to giving it a try in due course...
---
Raspberry Pi Model 3B+ (2019) ("ayeka") - CentOS
Raspberry Pi Zero W (2018) ("mass") - Raspbian
Raspberry Pi Model B (1st-gen - 2012) ("ryo-ohki") - Arch Linux ARM
---

grumpyoldgit

Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:11 pm

This potentially looks very interesting. I have a Buffalo Linkstation Duo NAS on which I keep my music files. I currently access them using Banshee on my Ubuntu box. There are instructions available for installing the Squeezebox server on the Linkstation so I can see potential for the Pi as a Squeezebox player if it is doable.

Paul Webster

Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:18 pm

SqueezePlay is written in C and LUA - and has been built on many different OS.

This provides the interface on Squeezebox Controller (SBC), Squeezebox Touch (SBT) and Squeezebox Radio (SBR).

It communicates with the Squeezebox Server (nowadays known as Logitech Media Server). That server can be on your local LAN or a server in the sky run by Logitech.

SBC, SBT and SBR run "SqueezeOS" which is I think is based on Ubuntu.

All 3 of those devices are ARM-based.

The screen output is via Simple DirectMedia Layer (SDL) library.

I presume that, in particular, it will need work to get it so output audio via the right route. From memory, it uses PulseAudio.

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/in.....structions

BjarkeHedegaard

Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:13 pm

Thanks for the great posts. Especially the idea with running it as a console w/o any GUI is great, if that's what makes it able to work with the hardware limitations. I currently use the squeeze play on my HTPC, but I never use the interface, as I control the music from my smartphone and/or a pc (via browser).

Some of your posts are a little technical for me, and I guess I need to look in to some things when I actually own a RasPi.

Another challenge for me is gonna be the sound output, as there is no way I'll use the onboard DAC. Will try getting it to work with my Cambridge DacMagic or any other dedicated DAC.

friedit

Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:00 pm

I will definatly put squeezeplay or softsqueeze or squeezeslave on the rpi – I always wanted something like this because I dont need a display since I'm controling everything with my tablet.

I already made my own tablet app (http://appworld.blackberry.com.....tent/24401) for controlling a squeezebox so the technical side shouldn't be a problem.

JonB

Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:06 pm

BjarkeHedegaard said:

Thanks for the great posts. Especially the idea with running it as a console w/o any GUI is great, if that's what makes it able to work with the hardware limitations. I currently use the squeeze play on my HTPC, but I never use the interface, as I control the music from my smartphone and/or a pc (via browser).

Some of your posts are a little technical for me, and I guess I need to look in to some things when I actually own a RasPi.

Another challenge for me is gonna be the sound output, as there is no way I'll use the onboard DAC. Will try getting it to work with my Cambridge DacMagic or any other dedicated DAC.

First off, as noted, the player is written in Lua (not sure about the C, I only ever saw Lua source), which is a scripting language. My experience of it is as ported onto the 02 Joggler, where it remains the "killer application" for that platform. And, also as noted, you can download the source from the Logitech web site.

Secondly, if your DAC Magic has a USB input, then the Pi may well be able to drive it, unless the kernel's had the "usual suspect" DAC drivers stripped out. I can tell you that for the Joggler, which runs a really minimal Liniux implementation, it does work with the DACs in my (cheap Chinese but nevertheless beautifully made, inside and out) Topping TP-30 Class D amp / DAC combo. This is because it has the very common Burr-Brown DAC chips inside. So, you might discover it is plug & play, or you might have to ask for a driver to be ported to ARM for it. Once you have done that, it's just a minor tweak to a config file (/etc/asound.conf if I remember rightly) and a reboot.. then you''re cooking with gas. (Sort of) easy.

nickr

Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:33 pm

squeezeslave has lcdproc support so you could presumably get a usb lcd panel and get some output. It also works on a terminal. Controllable by keyboard, so could make a push button control array.

Bjarkeah

Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:33 pm

Hey guys

Well, I've had my RasPi for about a month now, and I still haven't found out a way to make the squeezeplay software run on it. Whether I use the .tz or the .deb, I end up with the same error when executing the squeezeplay.sh: "./jive 1: ./jive: Syntax error: "(" unexpected.

Any ideas? :)
Raspi @ 1100 mhz
3,5" LCD @ 640x480
8 gb class 6

Paul Webster

Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:20 pm

Do you need SqueezePlay? I ask because SqueezeSlave works quite well (some of us get audio break ups every now and then) ... and SqueezePlug packages SqueezeServer (LMS) and SqueezeSlave.
There is a lot about on this forum.

minscof

Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:21 pm

Hi,

I have an iconnect device (arm device) and I need like you to run squeezeplay because squeezeslave has some trouble (hang, limited rates,...).

I use ArchLinux on this arm device and I succed in installing squeezeplay, see this link : https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=56769

radengr

Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:49 pm

I apologize if it is bad form here to post to a thread that is so old, but I just wanted to chip in with a few things I've found.

Like minscof I am using SqueezePlay on Archlinux Arm (thank you for the instructions by the way!). Right now I have it running on quite a few pogoplugs, but I plan on building it for my two raspberry pis (also running Archlinux Arm).

Squeezeslave has a few issues which ruled out its use for me. It only supports 44.1kHz / 16bit playback. Squeezeplay doesn't have that limitation. With my usb sound cards I couldn't get squeezeslave to playback without it being garbled.

truehl

Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:05 pm

radengr wrote:I apologize if it is bad form here to post to a thread that is so old, but I just wanted to chip in with a few things I've found.

Like minscof I am using SqueezePlay on Archlinux Arm (thank you for the instructions by the way!). Right now I have it running on quite a few pogoplugs, but I plan on building it for my two raspberry pis (also running Archlinux Arm).

Squeezeslave has a few issues which ruled out its use for me. It only supports 44.1kHz / 16bit playback. Squeezeplay doesn't have that limitation. With my usb sound cards I couldn't get squeezeslave to playback without it being garbled.
What about SqueezeLite?
truehl
http://www.squeezeplug.de

Return to “Other projects”