Goggles2114

Re: Raspberry Pi Adventure

Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:41 pm

tufty

Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:44 pm

A hollow voice says "check out http://www.inform-fiction.org" (pronounced "Plugh")

abishur

Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:57 pm

tufty said:

A hollow voice says "check out http://www.inform-fiction.org" (pronounced "Plugh")

nice find, that looks pretty interesting
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

tufty

Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:02 pm

Abishur said:

tufty said:

nice find, that looks pretty interesting

Yeah, it's nifty.  I've been doing inform on and off for years. The underlying / preceding language, inform 6, is a very nice prototype based object-oriented language, but inform 7 is something else entirely.

Simon

therealeasterbunny

Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:06 pm

Goggles2114 said:

http://arduino.cc/en/Main/USBSerial

Would that be helpful?

What do you want to do now?> say thankyou

"Most helpful, many thanks!"

abishur

Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:21 pm

@rurwin - The troll becomes enraged at your ignoring of his completely valid points (why oh why can't you bow to the overwhelming obviousness of how right he is?!11!?) [For the rest of the game the troll follows you interrupting you a key moments, complaining every time you enter a room, and giving away your position anytime you try to sneak by]

@scep - The troll (who keeps repeating himself) begins to slow down, you can tell he's getting tired and you're able to almost discern unique words.  Suddenly he lets loose a long and steady scream until his face turns blue and he keels over.  At first you think he's dead but as you approach you can hear him whimpering, he's screamed himself to sleep! [Anytime you re-enter the room you have to sneak or risk waking him up.  If you wake him up he starts over]
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

Goggles2114

Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:09 pm

In all seriousness. How many Z machine interpreters are there for arm (preferrably the specific sort of processor we've got on the raspi.)

Ditto for mush/mud/mux clients.

Why when this thing seems more server than consumer product? Why not? It has the ports. I'm hooking it into my TV.

> PLACE KITTEN ON TROLL.

therealeasterbunny

Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:42 pm

To me, most text adventure stuff now is open source so as long as its got C source (ANSI C?) or some other UNIX programmable language then as long as there is a compiler for it on the ARM chip then the world is your oyster. I guess.

I'm going to have a poke around at the weekend to find a LINUX that will work with Pi that also has a C compiler that will compile Adventure.

I already have the source of Adventure from bsd-games 2.16 - I dont think it will be to hard to rig up.

I'm also currently trying to figure out how to power the Raspberry Pi from the VT320 - perhaps from a spare serial or parallel port at the back of the VT

If anyone has any ideas on getting +5v from a serial or parallel port I'd be interested. I have googled it and it mentions TTL 5-12v but need to do some research as I'm not electrical expert (current etc - all gobbledy gook to me).

Borg 1.0

Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:12 am

TheRealEasterBunny said:
I"m also currently trying to figure out how to power the Raspberry Pi from the VT320 - perhaps from a spare serial or parallel port at the back of the VT

If anyone has any ideas on getting +5v from a serial or parallel port I"d be interested. I have googled it and it mentions TTL 5-12v but need to do some research as I"m not electrical expert (current etc - all gobbledy gook to me).

You *can* obtain 3-15 volts from any serial port, but it will only supply a few mA at best - not enough to fire up the RPi, unfortunately. If you "paralleled up" a few unused RS232 signals (using schottky diodes to minimise losses and prevent terminal confusion - that is, confusing the terminal, not losing your own faculties! ) you *might* get just enough to start booting, but I wouldn"t rely on it to save my life...

If you have a parallel (Centronics-compatible) port on the terminal, you could probably do the same thing (with diodes) and get quite a bit of juice - possibly up to about 300mA, which could be enough. But if the terminal reinitialises the port at any time (for example, accidentally hitting the print key!), you"re liable to lose power or put the RPi into brownout mode. Depending on how brownout recovery is implemented, that might be ignorable - but I wouldn"t bet my wife on it!

It should be relatively easy to steal 5V from within the terminal, if you"re so inclined. That would be the optimal way of combining the two devices, and you don"t have to be a rocket surgeon to get it done safely.

I hope this helps a bit....

(Dunno why the "quote and reply" doesn"t work on the iPad browser(s). Grrrr....

therealeasterbunny

Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:02 am

thats helpful, yes, thankyou. Basically I need +5v 'with a bit more grunt' I guess in laymans terms. I will check out the 'mA' requirements of the Pi then see where I go from there. Many thanks.

fadedknight

Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:05 am

Genuinly think we / someone should write a RPi adventure in the old school way - or write an adventure writing tool - the structure of these things is a good lesson for kids in itself.

> use tea

Your hostesses dress jumps two feet to the right

therealeasterbunny

Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:42 am

fadedknight said:

Genuinly think we / someone should write a RPi adventure in the old school way – or write an adventure writing tool – the structure of these things is a good lesson for kids in itself.

> use tea

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt for the Adventure writing tool!

If you wish you can check out "Visionary" – A Scott Adams Format Text Adventure Creator… its free from my website …

http://www.therealeasterbunny

therealeasterbunny

Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:47 am

therealeasterbunny said:

fadedknight said:

Genuinly think we / someone should write a RPi adventure in the old school way – or write an adventure writing tool – the structure of these things is a good lesson for kids in itself.

> use tea

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt for the Adventure writing tool!

If you wish you can check out "Visionary" – A Scott Adams Format Text Adventure Creator… its free from my website …

http://www.therealeasterbunny......ionary.htm

Its for Microsoft Windows but I can make the source code available for porting if needed, otherwise I might get round to an ARM LINUX port in a bit.

Scott Adams Format games would be ideal for teaching Adventure writing due to their simplicity of construction.

You can also use Inform but you would need to study this a while I think.

With Visionary, its all on one screen and I guess you could pick it up within the hour

therealeasterbunny

Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:48 am

Heavens above - why is this forum so buggy for editing - or is it just my PC?

hippy

Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:16 pm

therealeasterbunny said:

To me, most text adventure stuff now is open source so as long as its got C source (ANSI C?) or some other UNIX programmable language then as long as there is a compiler for it on the ARM chip then the world is your oyster. I guess.

I wrote my adventure game in JavaScript so it was theoretically cross-browser and cross-platform.

Theoretically but depended on whether document.location= caused an immediate change of page or was deferred until end of function or something like that so ended up being browser specific and I never got round to refactoring it. I'm not sure if it's online anywhere. I'll have a look.

Borg 1.0

Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:44 pm

therealeasterbunny said:

Heavens above – why is this forum so buggy for editing – or is it just my PC?

I don"t think it"s just your PC. I have the same problems on 5 different browsers on 3 different machines. I think it"s just a "feature" of the WP forum add-in. Still, beggars can"t be choosers!

Luny

Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:15 pm

fadedknight said:

> use tea

I"d like to volunteer for that. I"ve always loved adventures, especially solo text ones. I"ve written one in basic and C over the years and have loadsa ideas. One importance is to have the data in a readable form so that people can experiment and change the scenarios around or even write their own.

Secondly for the best atmosphere, as well as a well written plot, is to have believable characters wandering around in the style of the Hobbit. But with current tech, they could be so much more realistic with responses, emotions and memories.

Even better write it in one of the popular languages, that everyone is talking about so the source can be a type of tutorial too. Python / BASIC or C would do.

My version ever exposure to adventures was when the original "Adventure game" TV show was on. One puzzle was to sit at a terminal and play a very simple adventure game. Anyone remember that? The later episodes got upgraded to a BBC micro with a 3d maze game.

Luny

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:55 pm

I had a little bit of an idea a couple of days ago. either a Raspberry Pi "adventure" game or one of those "skip to paragraph/page X" books a la fighting fantasy/tunnels & trolls books.

I made a quick general flow chart and a few notes on it and took a quick look at TADS in particular Frobtads but i'm leaning towards a DTB version/pdf that could be included in with the educational docs package. I really don't know much about IF and not exactly a good writer as i got a grade U in my English Lang exams at school but anyone who knows how to do this want to get together to hash it out?

"It's 2005 and you are sitting in the Coach and Horses in front of a roaring fire and the wind howling outside with 5 of your friends and work collegues. As well as bemoaning the cost of a round consisting of a Gin & Tonic, 2 pints of Bitter, a pint of mild and a babycham (yours is the babycham as the bubbles tickle your nose and you like that) you are also moaning about the sorry state of computer science lessons in British schools these days......"
You can "have another round" "Go home" "Go to the bathroom" "decide to do something about computer science in british schools">   

prehensile

Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:22 pm

You guys should really check out Inform for creating text adventures - is a joy to make stuff in it. Essentially, you describe the game world in English, a lot like actually playing the things. Like so:

A person can be asleep or awake. A person can be active or passive. The Spinning Tower is a room. "A remote corner of the old castle, reserved for spinning and weaving tasks." Sleeping Beauty is an asleep woman in the Spinning Tower. "[if asleep]Sleeping Beauty lies here, oblivious to your presence[otherwise]Sleeping Beauty stands beside you, looking a little confused[end if]." The description is "She is even more magnificent than the rumors suggested." Understand "woman" or "girl" or "princess" or "lady" as Sleeping Beauty.
Also compiles down to Z-machine, which brings me to: Frotz, A Portable Z-Machine Interpreter. Ideal candidate for porting (already has been to a few ARM platforms), may even Just Work (remember that dude who compiled a couple of SDL apps straight from source?).

> morph kitten

colincoach

Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:00 pm

What a great post, so many memories. I played Classic adventure first on an IBM mainframe in the late 70s when I think it was a hidden part of the OS and only Sysprogs knew about it.

I have always found a certain atmosphere can be generated from a well written text adventure and will certainly be interested in anything that can be run on the Pi.

therealeasterbunny

Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:36 pm

You're bang on the money there Colin, a good Adventure has atmosphere. I copied up a great write up from Personal Computing Mag Feb 1980 and saved it to a Word file that can be downloaded from my website. It details the 'atmosphere' you get on great Adventures.

"Another crack at the chasm" - by Ken Mazur. Worth a look...

http://www.therealeasterbunny......0Mazur.doc

Can't wait to get my Pi so I can visit Colossal Caves.

Just me, my Pi, a green screen DEC VT from ebay and a dimly lit room.

Soak up that atmosphere...

therealeasterbunny

Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:39 pm

Lol, rereading through all the posts.

This is truly an iconic thread in the annals of text adventure forum topics.

therealeasterbunny

Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:35 pm

Well, its all coming together slowly but surely. I now have a powered USB hub (Logic 4 port from Currys) and the Pi can see my USB to serial converter...

Will be tinkering with (Pi) --- 2,3,5 to 2,3,7 (DEC VT) this afternoon ... not sure how far I will get, but will publish back some photos when its up and running :)

therealeasterbunny

Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:16 pm

Well, its up and running.
Pi to USB-Serial to DEC VT to play old skool Adventure on Pi.

Rigging up hardware...

First contact via echo...

getty session launched and adventure executed...

Bed for me now as I have a long days Adventuring tomorrow...

Cheers! :mrgreen:

Robert

Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:56 pm

Anyone who has good ideas for a computer game to teach hardware or software concepts, we need your help over at piadventure.org :arrow: .
Robert (User Admin on piadventure.org)

Return to “Other projects”