Goggles2114

Re: Cannibalizing a Nintendo DSiXL?

Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:51 pm

I lied. It's not so much cannibalizing a unit so much as cannibalizing the fact the after-market for replacement parts seems to have given lots of below $20 options on things like batteries, screens, and such.

Thought: The DSiXL's touch screen looks about the right size to slide over as an on-case io/display option. I'd like to figure out if there's a way to have that display working through the GPIO thing. I do not know if this is possible but I'd like to leave the USB ports alone and I'd like to be able to still plug in hdmi/composite and have that act as a primary display (with on-case screen acting as either information display or a set of inputs you can use without a remote.

Thought: How hard would it be to use a DS's battery and have it chargeable without causing things to go kaboom? If it can power a DS for six or so hours maybe it'd be a good solution for this thing.

I'm the first one to admit I'm not qualified to do the figuring here. Barking up the wrong tree or this seem viable (albeit difficult)?

laurie

Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:40 pm

Was thinking along similar lines - though unfortunately with a similar lack of technical knowledge. Also wondering if you could fit the Pi into a DS case (thinking about the original fatter one). Do post if you get anywhere - be interested to see how it pans out.

NucWin

Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:20 pm

I've been looking at Nintendo DS screens for possible R-Pi uses but did'nt manage to find what interface the screens use. Searching for DSI (Display Serial Interface) has its obvious problems.

maybe I'm lacking in some knowledge about this interface that is making it difficult to get my head around what screens will be directly compatible with the R-Pi

calebzulawski

Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:57 pm

No screens, other than those using composite or HDMI interfaces, will be directly compatible with the Raspberry Pi.  It may be possible, however, to connect such a screen to the GertBoard and write the appropriate software to drive it.

Baconator

Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:46 pm

Caleb Zulawski said:

No screens, other than those using composite or HDMI interfaces, will be directly compatible with the Raspberry Pi.  It may be possible, however, to connect such a screen to the GertBoard and write the appropriate software to drive it.

Sounds like you haven't heard of the snazzy DSI connector on the board.

Basically it's a standard some manufacturers of devices using LCD screens adhere to.
so with a adapter board with minimal circuitry, one could hook the board up to said LCD displays.

http://elinux.org/Rpi_Screens#.....LCD_panels

calebzulawski

Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:31 am

Baconator said:

Caleb Zulawski said:

Sounds like you haven't heard of the snazzy DSI connector on the board.

Basically it's a standard some manufacturers of devices using LCD screens adhere to.
so with a adapter board with minimal circuitry, one could hook the board up to said LCD displays.

http://elinux.org/Rpi_Screens#.....LCD_panels

Oh wow, no I haven't.  Does DSI allow for touchscreens as well, or is that separate?  I can't find any documentation...

Return to “Other projects”