blippy

Let’s build an oscilloscope with raspberrypi and stm32

Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:05 pm

I did a little write-up on building an "oscilloscope" with raspberry pi and an stm32. It's a bit too big to post here, but here's a lnk: https://mcturra2000.wordpress.com/2020/ ... and-stm32/.

scruss

Re: Let’s build an oscilloscope with raspberrypi and stm32

Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:08 am

Ooh, nice! STM32s are very nice for bridging the analogue/digital divide. I tend to go for the slightly more expensive versions (lots o' flash for MicroPython use) but even the simple ones are capable.

Nice picture of Cullen on your blog. And you write about Raku and Forth? Neato!
‘Remember the Golden Rule of Selling: “Do not resort to violence.”’ — McGlashan.
Pronouns: he/him

blippy

Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:19 am

I'm still very much a beginner when it comes to MCUs. I have so much to learn. The STM32s and ESP32s are astonishingly cheap and powerful compared to Arduino range. I can see why Unos and Nanos are so popular, though. They're vastly more accessible. I had toyed with the idea of using an ATTiny85 chip to do the capturing. I don't think it would have worked, though. The SPI interface I saw turned off interrupts during the transfer, so I don't think the Tiny would be up to the job. Nice small chips, though.

Well done for recognising Cullen. I imagine that many beaches must look similar. Raku is fun to play with from time-to-time, especially for playing with parsing. Forth is just a way cool language that's fun (and often frustrating) to mold however you wish. It's very much a "masochists" language in the sense of The Pervert's Guide to Computer Programming Languages (https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=22910702). The video is quite interesting. It turns out that JavaScript is psychopathic, Go is obsessional, C is masochistic, Python is hysterical, Perl is sadistic and Cobol is depressive. Fun stuff.

emma1997

Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:42 pm

Awwwwww... now I'm depressed because, as jamesh revealed, assembly is only PITA! lol

Return to “Other projects”