Mike Trethowan

Re: Mimo 720-S Touchscreen [Solved]

Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:35 pm

These are the steps that I took:

Unzip Jake Wisniewski's zip file

Go to the "BOOT" folder of the unzipped folder.
Rename Wisniewski's kernel to "kernel.img"
Copy "kernel.img" to SD Card boot pattition,
Verify by checking size after you copy it.

Go to the "/lib/modules/" folder of the unzipped folder.
Copy the folder "3.6.11-mimo+" to "/lib/modules/" on your SD Card file system "fs" partition.

Copy the contents of "/lib/modules/3.6.11+/kernel/" from the unzipped folder to "/lib/modules/3.6.11+/kernel/" on the SD Card.

Copy all the "Files" but not the kernel folder from "/lib/modules/3.6.11+/" of the unzipped folder to
"/lib/modules/3.6.11+/" on the SD Card.

Go to the "/lib/firmware/" folder from the unzipped folder.
Copy the contents to "/lib/firmware/" on your SD Card file system partition.
Do Not Overwrite, Copy.

On your SD Card SD Card file system partition, create the xorg.conf file in "/etc/X11/ "

Code: Select all

Section "Device"
Identifier "uga"
driver "fbdev"
Option "fbdev" "/dev/fb1"
Option "ShadowFB" "off"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "monitor"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "screen"
Device "uga"
Monitor "monitor"
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "default"
Screen 0 "screen" 0 0
InputDevice "touchscreen" "CorePointer"
Option "Xinerama" "Off"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "touchscreen"
Driver "evdev"
Option "Device" 

"/dev/input/by-id/usb-e2i_Technology__Inc._USB_Touch

panel_L000000000-event-if00"
Option "DeviceName" "touchscreen"
Option "ReportingMode" "Raw"
Option "SendCoreEvents" "On"
Option "Calibrate" "1"
Option "Calibration" "630 32000 1100 31800"
Option "InvertY" "true"
Option "InvertX" "false"
Option "SwapAxes" "false"
EndSection

This should be all you need to do.

Option "InvertY" "true"
Option "InvertX" "false"
These two options effect Touchscreen rotation. This means that if InvertX were true, when you touch the upper right corner of the display, the mouse moves to the lower left corner.

I found that "/dev/input/by-id/usb-e2i_Technology__Inc._USB_Touch should already exist in the the original 3.2.27-mimo2.img SD image, so stick with that. The NOOBE image will not work. And yes, "sudo apt-get upgrade" will screw things up.

I am relatively new to Linux and the Raspberry, this took 2 weeks research to get it to work for me even though I have years of working knowledge in other micro development platforms and firmware. Also, I still make mistakes, overlook simple stuff and get frustrated.

My experience is that most of the time mistakes are simply from overlooked steps and frustration at something new not working as we would like. You will get it working, just press on.

Geeviz

Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:43 pm

One tinY little question, I use a live Ubuntu CD and i started from there a terminal session which I login as Root
with sudo su. so I can enter the SD card parts as root.

there I use the sudo CP command for copying, but IMO is that not the same as overwriting? or do I have to search for another copying method, just as on Windows like drag and drop?

I made the directory structure on the sd-card directory's the same as from the unzipped zip and then go to the terminal-root and give copying options with wildcards with file extension (e.g. *.ko) and copy them to their accomplying folders.. but there is a bunch of files.. it's undo-able to copy them manually each time (file/directory per group) with the commands.. like work for hours.

where can I find the Jake Wisniewski file? :(

mlabieniec

Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:05 pm

Guys, this worked for me, my touch screen is now working!
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 52#p289052

It was mainly using the 3.6.11-mimo kernel and following the above instructions. Display and Touchscreen are now working!

Geeviz

Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:31 pm

Mike Trethowan wrote:These are the steps that I took:

Unzip Jake Wisniewski's zip file

Go to the "BOOT" folder of the unzipped folder.
Rename Wisniewski's kernel to "kernel.img"
Copy "kernel.img" to SD Card boot pattition,
Verify by checking size after you copy it.

Copy the folder "3.6.11-mimo+" to "/lib/modules/" on your SD Card file system "fs" partition.

Copy the contents of "/lib/modules/3.6.11+/kernel/" from the unzipped folder to "/lib/modules/3.6.11+/kernel/" on the SD Card.

Copy all the "Files" but not the kernel folder from "/lib/modules/3.6.11+/" of the unzipped folder to

Do Not Overwrite, Copy.

On your SD Card SD Card file system partition, create the xorg.conf file in "/etc/X11/ "

Section "Device"
Identifier "uga"
driver "fbdev"
Option "fbdev" "/dev/fb1"
Option "ShadowFB" "off"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "monitor"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "screen"
Device "uga"
Monitor "monitor"
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "default"
Screen 0 "screen" 0 0
InputDevice "touchscreen" "CorePointer"
Option "Xinerama" "Off"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "touchscreen"
Driver "evdev"
Option "Device" 

"/dev/input/by-id/usb-e2i_Technology__Inc._USB_Touch

panel_L000000000-event-if00"
Option "DeviceName" "touchscreen"
Option "ReportingMode" "Raw"
Option "SendCoreEvents" "On"
Option "Calibrate" "1"
Option "Calibration" "630 32000 1100 31800"
Option "InvertY" "true"
Option "InvertX" "false"
Option "SwapAxes" "false"
EndSection

This should be all you need to do.

Option "InvertY" "true"
Option "InvertX" "false"
These two options effect Touchscreen rotation. This means that if InvertX were true, when you touch the upper right corner of the display, the mouse moves to the lower left corner.

I found that "/dev/input/by-id/usb-e2i_Technology__Inc._USB_Touch should already exist in the the original 3.2.27-mimo2.img SD image, so stick with that. The NOOBE image will not work. And yes, "sudo apt-get upgrade" will screw things up.

I am relatively new to Linux and the Raspberry, this took 2 weeks research to get it to work for me even though I have years of working knowledge in other micro development platforms and firmware. Also, I still make mistakes, overlook simple stuff and get frustrated.

My experience is that most of the time mistakes are simply from overlooked steps and frustration at something new not working as we would like. You will get it working, just press on.
Is the bold line (I set it bold) different from the three copy lines below that bold one? OR can I just hit only the bold copyline from the boot partition of the SD?

These are the (slightly different) steps I would take:

1) install raspbian wheezy on SD
2) expand boot partition with MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition 8.0 (gives no problems for the image working!)
to create space on the boot partition for the folders: "3.6.11-mimo+" and "Firmware"
3) place kernel.img and xorg.conf (replacing later to correct dir)
4) I start my computer with the Live Ubuntu CD, start the LXTerminal there and login as root to enter the SD card with fully root partitions. And then:

5)

Do Not Overwrite, Copy.

but can I do that from the terminal by using sudo cp?

I don't get it.. now i have on my fs /lib/modules two directorys: 3.6.11+ and 3.6.11-mimo+
is that right.. and what about the copying options, mustn't it be 3.6.11-mimo+ since there is no 3.6.11+

or have I the wrong 3.6.11 zip file?

Cheers Michiel (geeviz)

Mike Trethowan

Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:10 pm

I don't get it.. now i have on my fs /lib/modules two directorys: 3.6.11+ and 3.6.11-mimo+
is that right..
That is correct, both. I got my copy of the zip file from a link provided on Phil's Project https://philsprojects.wordpress.com/

Geeviz

Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:17 pm

OMG OMG OMG..after some nagging about read-only, much -71 usb errors.. and so on.. and 2 times "straight boot to desktop" at raspi config..

my screen is working now, mouse TOO !!

only seems the touching part will not work yet..

any suggestions bout that?

ahh [mod edit for language] that was short luck. normally I setup the TV (for the terminal part) with a composite cable. works perfect booted up the mimo with it.. but.. now i have shutted down the tv and removed the cable.. and now the screen won't boot up graphically.
Last edited by Geeviz on Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mike Trethowan

Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:30 pm

I had that in the beginning but don't remember what it was. If I remember what I did, I will post it.

Geeviz

Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:42 pm

Bummer.. now the graphical part won't boot, but it is a blinking cursor :(
I setup the tv + composite again to enter the boot procedure

Geeviz

Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:46 am

can I have the touchscreen part of the screen working Without dwc_otg.speed=1??
if I delete that line the screen mouse keyboard works perfect.. only want the touch part too.,

Mike Trethowan

Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:47 pm

As I commented before, dwc_otg.speed=1 gave me problems, don't add that line to your cmdline.txt file. :!:

Geeviz

Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:16 pm

Deleted it, but have still now the -71 errors.. but want to like to touch the screen where it's made for! :( could it be the way of connecting? my screen have a bigger usb wire and a small one, and both I have on a usb hub, external power dc 5v.. 3 ampere

what steps could I take - without the dwc speed 1 - but with a touch of screen?

Mike Trethowan

Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:25 pm

... but want to like to touch the screen where it's made for!
I'm sorry, but I don't understand. Is the touchscreen not working? Or is the pointer moving somewhere other than where you touch? :?: :?: :?:

Geeviz

Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:40 pm

Well I just follow your steps which you have setup above. My screen works now very well even as mouse and keyboard and so on. only the touching part not. Has that something to do with the usb errors? OR a wrong way of powering? :(

Mike Trethowan

Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:01 pm

I don't know. did you do an "lsusb" to see if the touch is showing up in the list?

Geeviz

Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:11 pm

I'll try that. Only is there a difference between the screen itself and the touch function?
My LSUSB: In order of how it on my Mimo :)

bus 001:
-002 Standard Microsystems Corp. (Don't the hell know what it is..)
-001 Linux Foundation Root Hub 2.0
-014 Z_Star Micro-electronics Corp
-019 Displaylink !! (MIMO)
-020 Wireless ethernet adapter Realtek.
-021 Trust International BV
-026 nothing.. empty.
-003 Standard Microsystems Corp. (Don't the hell know what it is..)
-010 Terminus Technology 4 port hub (my hub is ten ports)
-011 Alcor Micro Corp USB Hub
-012 Terminus Technology 4 port hub (my hub is ten ports)
-013 Terminus Technology 4 port hub (my hub is ten ports)

I think is has to do with powering or the usb errors.. (-71) my mouse/keyboard/usb stick aren't in this list too but they are working

petehand

Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:50 am

Very informative thread.

I got the Mimo working without any trouble using the 3.2.27 kernel, then ran into a problem that I lost I2C support, which I need for my project. Having re-read the thread more carefully, I'll try again tomorrow with the 3.6.11 build - and I'll copy the modules this time. Many thanks to everyone who put in the work on this. I'm not very experienced with Linux, and the thought of having to compile a kernel fills me with dismay.

I haven't had any power problems because my Pi sits on an IO board and is powered with 5V at 3A through pins 2 and 4 of the IO connector. The thermal fuse is only in series with the USB power input, so when powered through the IO connector the USB output current is limited only by the power supply.

petehand

Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:35 am

Can't get 3.6.11 to boot at all, with or without the change to config.txt - though that does make a difference to the way it hangs. Seems like the problem is the Pi is switching into powersave speed, and after that the USB is inaccessible.

Log file:

(without dwc_otg.speed=1)
[2.477566] bcm2835-cpufreq: min=0 max=700000 cur=700000
[2.489614] bcm2835-cpufreq: switching to governor powersave
[2.501922] bcm2835-cpufreq: switching to governor powersave
[2.566016] usb 1-1: New USB device found, idVendor=0424, idProduct=9512
(hangs up forever)

(with dwc_otg.speed=1)
[2.477566] bcm2835-cpufreq: min=0 max=700000 cur=700000
[2.489614] bcm2835-cpufreq: switching to governor powersave
[2.501922] bcm2835-cpufreq: switching to governor powersave
[2.577572] usb 1-1: not running at top speed; connect to a high speed hub
(hangs up forever)
Any suggestions on how to get rid of the cpufreq lines? Or other suggestions, if you don't think that's the problem?

Mike Trethowan

Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:03 pm

petehand wrote:Very informative thread.

I got the Mimo working without any trouble using the 3.2.27 kernel, then ran into a problem that I lost I2C support, which I need for my project. Having re-read the thread more carefully, I'll try again tomorrow with the 3.6.11 build - and I'll copy the modules this time. Many thanks to everyone who put in the work on this. I'm not very experienced with Linux, and the thought of having to compile a kernel fills me with dismay.

I haven't had any power problems because my Pi sits on an IO board and is powered with 5V at 3A through pins 2 and 4 of the IO connector. The thermal fuse is only in series with the USB power input, so when powered through the IO connector the USB output current is limited only by the power supply.
I've been out of town on business all of last week. I had lots of power problems at the start. My final resolve was to lift the power pin from the USB to isolate the multiple power supplies from each other. Once I did this it resolved my power issues. This includes what you mention in your following post. This is not easy to do and if you are not a tech or proficient you can permanently damage your board.

petehand

Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:06 pm

My final resolve was to lift the power pin from the USB to isolate the multiple power supplies from each other. Once I did this it resolved my power issues. This includes what you mention in your following post.
I appreciate the response, but it doesn't quite accurately address my problem. I don't have multiple power supplies. I'm not using a powered hub, or indeed any hub at all. The Mimo is powered straight off the USB-'A' connector. I can do this because I'm not powering the Pi through the micro-USB with its resettable thermal fuse in series, but directly from the GPIO connector, which has no current limiting and is connected directly to the '+5V0' net. See the schematic here: http://www.raspberrypi.org/wp-content/u ... .2_027.pdf.

Regarding the main problem, being unable to boot with version 3.6.11, it hangs at the same place even with everything disconnected from the USB ports - nothing plugged in to the Pi except the HDMI screen. It hangs when powered through the micro-USB as well as when powered from my system board. The hangup is right after the cpufreq statement and since it won't finish booting, I have no way to debug it.

Since time and deadlines wait for no man, I'm going ahead for the present with a nice 10" HDMI touch screen I found. 1024 by 600, and it's cheaper than a Mimo. But I'd like to get the Mimo working, or at least understand why the Pi doesn't boot.

JakeWisniewski

Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:22 pm

Geeviz wrote:can I have the touchscreen part of the screen working Without dwc_otg.speed=1??
if I delete that line the screen mouse keyboard works perfect.. only want the touch part too.,
It's basically "lesser of two evils". Changing the dwc_otg.speed reduces the speed of the usb from 2.0 to 1.1. Doing this kills most keyboards/mice and you get the -110 error about the usb trying to reset. The good part is the monitor and touch both show up in your lsusb and function.

Keeping the dwc_otg.speed out of the cmdline.txt file will give you a working keyboard/mouse and monitor but the touch support will not be able to load because of what looks like a sync/timing issue with the kernel (at least that's how it was explained to me).

The reason some mimo monitors work and others don't is due to the change in design of the monitors themselves. Previously they did not have the Alcor Micro Corp. USB hub. When they added this to the new design it caused issued with the Pi running without the change to the cmdline.txt

Mike Trethowan

Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:34 pm

JakeWisniewski wrote:
Geeviz wrote:
Keeping the dwc_otg.speed out of the cmdline.txt file will give you a working keyboard/mouse and monitor but the touch support will not be able to load because of what looks like a sync/timing issue with the kernel (at least that's how it was explained to me)......... The reason some mimo monitors work and others don't is due to the change in design of the monitors themselves.
My setup only works if I leave it out, so I must be one of the lucky few with the the other hub chip.

JakeWisniewski

Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:50 pm

Mike Trethowan wrote:
My setup only works if I leave it out, so I must be one of the lucky few with the the other hub chip.
Sounds like you are. You can easily see if it doesn't have the chip in it by doing an lsusb. Also, it could be a change in the chip design if it is listed.

Geeviz

Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:34 am

can someone see in my lsusb if I have the appropriate alcor hub which is needed for the touch-part?

Cheers Geeviz

JakeWisniewski

Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:50 pm

Geeviz wrote:can someone see in my lsusb if I have the appropriate alcor hub which is needed for the touch-part?

Cheers Geeviz
Post it to the board or PM it to me. I can have a look. This is a sample of what you should be seeing.

Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0424:9512 Standard Microsystems Corp.
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 007: ID 17e9:401a DisplayLink
Bus 001 Device 008: ID 1ac7:0001 <-- This is the touchscreen
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0424:ec00 Standard Microsystems Corp.
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 050d:0237 Belkin Components F5U237 USB 2.0 7-Port Hub
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 058f:6254 Alcor Micro Corp. USB Hub
Bus 001 Device 006: ID 7392:7811 Edimax Technology Co., Ltd EW-7811Un 802.11n Wireless Adapter [Realtek RTL8188CUS]

Geeviz

Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:57 pm

bus 001:
-002 Standard Microsystems Corp. (Don't the hell know what it is..)
-001 Linux Foundation Root Hub 2.0
-014 Z_Star Micro-electronics Corp
-019 Displaylink !! (MIMO)
-020 Wireless ethernet adapter Realtek.
-021 Trust International BV
-026 nothing.. empty.
-003 Standard Microsystems Corp. (Don't the hell know what it is..)
-010 Terminus Technology 4 port hub (my hub is ten ports)
-011 Alcor Micro Corp USB Hub
-012 Terminus Technology 4 port hub (my hub is ten ports)
-013 Terminus Technology 4 port hub (my hub is ten ports)

mine :) I have typed it over from screen some are provided with my own comments.

Return to “Other projects”