erazor

Re: Mimo 720-S Touchscreen [Solved]

Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:39 pm

Hi all.

I've noticed that my patch of usbtouchscreen will use the wrong usb device.

I'll fix and upload a new kernel.

Sorry folks.

JakeWisniewski

Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:00 pm

Just an FYI, changing this setting can cause issues with other usb devices. I noticed that my usb keyboard will not work anymore with this change. Not that it matter since I can remote in but just a heads up for other devices people may be using with it.

An OK solution I added was matchbox-keyboard. Standard apt-get. It freaks out when you try to resize but when you maximize and restore a few times it ends up the width of the screen.

Now I need to figure out how to emulate right click on the touchscreen :)

jwilker2

Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:47 pm

JakeWisniewski wrote:Just an FYI, changing this setting can cause issues with other usb devices. I noticed that my usb keyboard will not work anymore with this change. Not that it matter since I can remote in but just a heads up for other devices people may be using with it.

An OK solution I added was matchbox-keyboard. Standard apt-get. It freaks out when you try to resize but when you maximize and restore a few times it ends up the width of the screen.

Now I need to figure out how to emulate right click on the touchscreen :)
Damn that's not cool.

I'm so impressed with the keyboard I'm using I sincerely thought about sending you a note about it before yours failed. It really is a nice addition to the touchscreen it works flawlessly has touch pad and mouse buttons works with touchscreen no configuration needed. http://www.amazon.com/Mini-Black-KP-810 ... +bluetooth. I checked the model number directly again mine which is bluetooth. There are a lot of these around but this one just works great and charges off the USB.

Edit: I just discovered the that the 'ipazzport' slips into the cavity between the 720 itself and the stand like it was designed for it. Exactly the right size, nothing touching the keyboard and snug. Nice!

Logitech K400 wireless keyboard with touchpad works great too, it's just four to six times bigger than an iPazzPort.

JakeWisniewski

Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:39 am

Not a problem J. The intention for our Pi is to just be an on screen interface for controlling equipment and really wouldn't require a keyboard. Just wanted to be sure others knew there could be issues depending on the keyboard (usb device).

jwilker2

Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:35 pm

JakeWisniewski wrote:Not a problem J. The intention for our Pi is to just be an on screen interface for controlling equipment and really wouldn't require a keyboard. Just wanted to be sure others knew there could be issues depending on the keyboard (usb device).
That's interesting, it's basically what I'm up to as well...

For fun try running this .py from a separate ssh session it uses our framebuffer and 'pops up' over your current X Desktop, I'm using it to generate alerts. It's not mine but makes for a good starting point for instrument output.
pyscope.py

Code: Select all

import os
import pygame  # <<<--- Provides drawing interface
import time
import random

class pyscope :
    screen = None;

def __init__(self):
        "Ininitializes a new pygame screen using the framebuffer"
        # Based on "Python GUI in Linux frame buffer"
        # http://www.karoltomala.com/blog/?p=679
        disp_no = os.getenv("DISPLAY")
        if disp_no:
            print "I'm running under X display = {0}".format(disp_no)

# Check which frame buffer drivers are available
        # Start with fbcon since directfb hangs with composite output
        drivers = ['fbcon', 'directfb', 'svgalib']
        found = False
        for driver in drivers:
            # Make sure that SDL_VIDEODRIVER is set
            if not os.getenv('SDL_VIDEODRIVER'):
                os.putenv('SDL_VIDEODRIVER', driver)
                os.putenv('SDL_FBDEV', '/dev/fb1')
            try:
                pygame.display.init()
            except pygame.error:
                print 'Driver: {0} failed.'.format(driver)
                continue
            found = True
            break

if not found:
            raise Exception('No suitable video driver found!')

size = (pygame.display.Info().current_w, pygame.display.Info().current_h)
        print "Framebuffer size: %d x %d" % (size[0], size[1])
        print driver
        self.screen = pygame.display.set_mode(size, pygame.FULLSCREEN)
        # Clear the screen to start
        self.screen.fill((0, 0, 0))
        # Initialise font support
        pygame.font.init()
        # Render the screen
        pygame.display.update()

def __del__(self):
        "Destructor to make sure pygame shuts down, etc."

def drawGraticule(self):
        "Renders an empty graticule"
        # The graticule is divided into 10 columns x 8 rows
        # Each cell is 50x40 pixels large, with 5 subdivisions per
        # cell, meaning 10x8 pixels each.  Subdivision lines are
        # displayed on the central X and Y axis
        # Active area = 10,30 to 510,350 (500x320 pixels)
        borderColor = (255, 255, 255)
        lineColor = (64, 64, 64)
        subDividerColor = (128, 128, 128)
        # Outer border: 2 pixels wide
        pygame.draw.rect(self.screen, borderColor, (8,28,504,324), 2)
        # Horizontal lines (40 pixels apart)
        for i in range(0, 7):
            y = 70+i*40
            pygame.draw.line(self.screen, lineColor, (10, y), (510, y))
        # Vertical lines (50 pixels apart)
        for i in range(0, 9):
            x = 60+i*50
            pygame.draw.line(self.screen, lineColor, (x, 30), (x, 350))
        # Vertical sub-divisions (8 pixels apart)
        for i in range(1, 40):
            y = 30+i*8
            pygame.draw.line(self.screen, subDividerColor, (258, y), (262, y))
        # Horizontal sub-divisions (10 pixels apart)
        for i in range(1, 50):
            x = 10+i*10
            pygame.draw.line(self.screen, subDividerColor, (x, 188), (x, 192))

def test(self):
        "Test method to make sure the display is configured correctly"
        adcColor = (255, 255, 0)  # Yellow
        self.drawGraticule()
        # Render the Adafruit logo at 10,360
        #logo = pygame.image.load('images/adafruit_logo.gif').convert()
        #self.screen.blit(logo, (10, 335))
        # Get a font and use it render some text on a Surface.
        font = pygame.font.Font(None, 30)
        text_surface = font.render('pyScope (%s)' % "0.1",
            True, (255, 255, 255))  # White text
        # Blit the text at 10, 0
        self.screen.blit(text_surface, (10, 0))
        # Render some text with a background color
        text_surface = font.render('Channel 0',
            True, (0, 0, 0), (255, 255, 0)) # Black text with yellow BG
        # Blit the text
        self.screen.blit(text_surface, (540, 30))
        # Update the display
        pygame.display.update()
        # Random adc data
        yLast = 260
        for x in range(10, 509):
            y = random.randrange(30, 350, 2) # Even number from 30 to 350
            pygame.draw.line(self.screen, adcColor, (x, yLast), (x+1, y))
            yLast = y
            pygame.display.update()

# Create an instance of the PyScope class
scope = pyscope()
scope.test()
# Wait 10 seconds
time.sleep(1)
Edit: Incidentally it outputs a tiny bit of info on the driver it sees and the output screen's resolution. The output panel essentially pops up over what's onscreen and exits after 'sleep'. pygame is a big hummer so it hesitates a bit whilst loading.

marchettod

Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:03 pm

Hi everybody !
I want use a touchscreen with RPI so I made some search and I'm here.
I'm not English so I have difficulty to understand everything.

So, if someone can do a summary of this topic to how to use the mimo with the RPI, it will be very nice for me.

Thanks.

philharlow

Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:17 pm

marchettod wrote:So, if someone can do a summary of this topic to how to use the mimo with the RPI, it will be very nice for me.
Hey marchettod,

I would start by taking a look at the blog post I wrote up, and let us know if you have any questions.
http://philsprojects.wordpress.com/2013 ... pberry-pi/

Geeviz

Thu May 30, 2013 10:58 pm

hi people,

I try the line
tar xzf 3.6.11-mimo.tgz
even as
tar xzf 3.6.11-mimo.tgz --no-same-owner

as root.

but linux (Raspberry Wheezy) says all the time: no space left..

and my SD card is 4 GB big. the tgz is listed in the /boot directory.. (same place as config.txt) but what i am doing wrong to get this not working? :(

Cheers Michiel.
I am in the house :lol:

Geeviz

Re: Mimo 720-S Touchscreen

Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:53 pm

erazor wrote:Ok, I've uploaded mine with all the modules:
http://gentoo.ed-solutions.de/kernel/raspberry/

hi, I have downloaded the files, but how can I add them to installation at sd-card?

I only ' learned' to install the normal .tar files but this are .bz2 files..

cheers michiel (geeviz)

Geeviz

Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:20 pm

my error:

cannot create symlink /home/dane/src/raspberry

at the 3.6.11-mimo.tgz

if I unpack the file at sd card :(

Geeviz

Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:46 pm

hi i have screen working but mouse keyboard freezes as hell

cheers michiel

Geeviz

Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:46 pm

and not sure yet of touchscreen part..

jwilker2

Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:28 am

Geeviz wrote:hi i have screen working but mouse keyboard freezes as hell

cheers michiel
Hi Geeviz,

Did you have any success with your mouse and keyboard? If not how are they attached, are they connected to a powered hub? Are you using a Raspberry Pi Model B and your Mimo Monitor is a 720-S correct?

Let me know and I'll assist if I can.

Regards

Geeviz

Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:41 am

Hi, I tried the following tar files from this post/forum E.G.

* 3.6.11-mimo. Extracting got well to the point: cannot create symlink /home/dane/src/raspberry I think this is a faulty address which is not really used for Raspberry? I think Dane is the name of one of the compilers/posters in here.

* Erazor has uploaded his: kernel/modules at http://gentoo.ed-solutions.de/kernel/raspberry/ but this are tar.bz2 - but i am missing there a walkthrough how to unpack from a linux terminal.

* Used a 3.2.27-mimo2.img (kernel) which are not have need modules but: If I use this kernel , then just my usb keyboard and mouse freezes, i have them on a externel hub. At the original downloaded raspberry wheezian img there are not any problems.

* this line in cmdline - dwc_otg.speed=1 - was a problem this causes the usb faults .. -71 error and so on.. keyboard.mouse are functioning fine in terminal bu not in graphic.

cheers michiel.

Geeviz

Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:46 am

+:

And if I follow this one: http://anup.info/blog/2012/10/13/raspbe ... mo-monitor to setup a kernel from the beginning, I get errors at this line apt-get install git-core gcc-4.6-arm-linux-gnueabi

seems the package is not there anymore or do i have to do this by another linux distribution to setup kernel for the raspb.

jwilker2

Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:38 pm

Geeviz wrote:+:

And if I follow this one: http://anup.info/blog/2012/10/13/raspbe ... mo-monitor to setup a kernel from the beginning, I get errors at this line apt-get install git-core gcc-4.6-arm-linux-gnueabi

seems the package is not there anymore or do i have to do this by another linux distribution to setup kernel for the raspb.
The above procedure assumes you are 'cross-compiling' that is to say you are running on another Linux version for example Ubuntu, Debian or Fedora. If you are running Windows those instructions are nearly useless.

There are basically two practical methods available for compiling kernels for the RPi, so called 'native' compilation and 'cross' compiling. The first compiles the kernel, supporting modules and libraries directly on the RPi utilizing it's resources and although reliable, the awesome little Pi requires a huge amount of time to complete this task (12 hours?). The second method 'cross' compiling requires a traditional computer running Debian, Ubuntu or Fedora (although there are other OSes of course), depending on the 'muscularity' of your machine as little as 10 minutes. After completion of the 'build' or compile as it were you must then copy the results to the corresponding directories on the 'live' Pi reboot and you are in business.

There are a number of tutorials available that can walk you through this successfully, elinux.org under Raspberry Pi is an excellent place to start. It has a by the numbers walkthrough and all that would be required is to incorporate the appropriate kernel config selection for 'udlfb' and 'usb touchscreen'.

Compiling and installing you own kernel and modules is good for the soul and although I can see that it would be very very intimidating at first, it gives you real insight into the inner workings of Linux and a much enhanced view of all OSes from Windows to Mac. In fact all current cellphones/tablets share common underpinnings as well, the RPi's underlying technologies are directly related to this genre.

jwilker2

Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:16 pm

Geeviz wrote:Hi, I tried the following tar files from this post/forum E.G.

* 3.6.11-mimo. Extracting got well to the point: cannot create symlink /home/dane/src/raspberry I think this is a faulty address which is not really used for Raspberry? I think Dane is the name of one of the compilers/posters in here.

* Erazor has uploaded his: kernel/modules at http://gentoo.ed-solutions.de/kernel/raspberry/ but this are tar.bz2 - but i am missing there a walkthrough how to unpack from a linux terminal.

* Used a 3.2.27-mimo2.img (kernel) which are not have need modules but: If I use this kernel , then just my usb keyboard and mouse freezes, i have them on a externel hub. At the original downloaded raspberry wheezian img there are not any problems.

* this line in cmdline - dwc_otg.speed=1 - was a problem this causes the usb faults .. -71 error and so on.. keyboard.mouse are functioning fine in terminal bu not in graphic.

cheers michiel.
Hi Michiel,

Hmmm I'm a bit confused... From you're post "* this line in cmdline - dwc_otg.speed=1 - was a problem this causes the usb faults .. -71 error and so on.. keyboard.mouse are functioning fine in terminal bu not in graphic."

Are you saying that adding the 'dwc_otg.speed=1' to cmdline.txt causes error -71s? This is counterintuitive, can you confirm this for me? Adding 'dwc_otg.speed=1' to cmdline.txt should prevent error -71...

A quick overview of the dwc_otg.speed=1 cmdline.txt mod, this modification is specifically required for the Mimo 720-S USB Touchscreen Monitor and to my knowledge no other. The MM 720-S has an integrated Alcor USB hub chip that is unlike or absent in other Mimo monitors and their compatibles. dwc_otg.speed=1 alters the USB timing interface essentially slowing it down to accommodate the 'boottime' lag this chip's presence introduces. This can be problematic for some keyboards and mice as I pointed out when I recommended this mod.

I use a pretty much "standard issue" bluetooth keyboard/mouse combo and do not experience this issue. The solution might be as simple as trying some other 'borrowed' mice and keyboards to see if the problem is alleviated. Swapping hardware around may sound "half assed" on a good day but in this case may prove a viable solution. Many devices do not always play by the rules, that is to say their hardware timing may result in being resource hogs etc., this may not ever be a problem on another system and be quite evident here. Logitech's K400 wireless keyboard/touchpad seems to work quite well for example.

Regards,

jfroco

Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:55 pm

Hi,

Just a quick question:

Can I use the Mimo 720-S as the main (and only) monitor for the Raspberry Pi.

I've read that you need to have a HDMI display connected when booting.

Thank you!!

jwilker2

Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:08 pm

jfroco wrote:Hi,

Just a quick question:

Can I use the Mimo 720-S as the main (and only) monitor for the Raspberry Pi.

I've read that you need to have a HDMI display connected when booting.

Thank you!!
Yes... You can also boot the RPi with no monitor attached and use ssh to access it over ethernet for text only and vnc or xrdp to access a graphical desktop remotely. For remote desktop access there is a bit of set up required but I think most users are pretty satisfied with what it can do.

Hope that helps.

Geeviz

Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:24 pm

seriously how about the kernel 3.2.27-mimo2.img ?? followed the part with the occidentalis version but with the kernel my mouse and keyboard freezes.. on graphic !!!

Geeviz

Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:31 pm

is it normal after following the post with the occidentalis 0.2 (or something) that the keyboard and mouse freezes at graphics??? :( i do not get the clue why.. in terminal all is okay without error. the boot process is without error and all devices are recognized

jwilker2

Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:57 pm

Geeviz wrote:is it normal after following the post with the occidentalis 0.2 (or something) that the keyboard and mouse freezes at graphics??? :( i do not get the clue why.. in terminal all is okay without error. the boot process is without error and all devices are recognized
Hi, yes I'm afraid it's normal depending on which keyboard and mouse you have... When the update to cmdline.txt is made it changes the timing of USB subsystem and many keyboards/mice don't work. If you are running Windows look into installing 'putty' it's a terminal emulator that will allow you to access your RPi via SSH from your Windows machine, it works very well. http://raspberrypi4dummies.wordpress.co ... ssh-putty/ and http://elinux.org/RPi_Remote_Access <<<--- Try this one it looks like a better tutorial.

You can also use VNC, it's configuration's a little more complex but it's graphical and might suit your needs in the long run better.

You can 'temporarily" reverse the symptom by removing the 'dwc_otg.speed=1' from /boot/cmdline.txt

Geeviz

Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:44 pm

Hmmm.. is there not really a fix or workaround.. to have the usb better work? and how about to.. put all on a extern powered hub?? I looked at the keyboard and mouse and they give 100ma.. like the same power as each of the both usb ports on the raspberry

jwilker2

Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:22 am

Geeviz wrote:Hmmm.. is there not really a fix or workaround.. to have the usb better work? and how about to.. put all on a extern powered hub?? I looked at the keyboard and mouse and they give 100ma.. like the same power as each of the both usb ports on the raspberry
Well that my friend is a good question, if you find a better solution we will all be thrilled! See elinux.org under raspberry pi troubleshooting keyboards and dwg_otg etc. etc.

One item I forgot to point out is that it may well be that your keyboard and mouse are functioning fine and what needs to be done is to set up the correct entries in /etc/X11/xorg.conf. xorg.conf defines the behavior of input devices like keyboards and mice as well monitors etc.. Figuring out the settings that work best for you is a science in itself, you will need to add a device section for your keyboard and mouse then link them to your session. There are dozens of tutorials on this throughout the web done by knowledgeable people who are better tutors than me. Once this is done assuming your mouse and keyboard are functioning correctly with 'dwg_otg.speed=1' then you should in theory be able to use both the touchscreen and keyboard/mouse simultaneously.

Good luck

Geeviz

Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:55 am

what are the xorg.conf settings / lines for a standard mouse/keyboard?

Return to “Other projects”