Pat

Re: USB Arcade Controller

Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:12 pm

I'm interested in the arcade possiblities of the raspberry pi.

In the past i created some xbox arcade cabinets. So I have some experience on how to build them.

I also have different interfaces to communicate to pc/xbox.

Now I wanna contact supplier of the joystickboard to make one with an interface to linux.

If I have a large order the price will drop. So if you are interested in usb arcade stick interfaces to linux please let me know. If there many people who may like this I will start ordering i notice people whe n boards are availablre.

also if people like other parts for arcade development please tell me.

Thanks

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:45 pm

have you tried the existing PC interfaces with linux?

Pat

Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:22 pm

If got arcade devices from diffent suppliers on of them has chip that should work with linux.

But device is 29 + 19 say about 50 dollar with shipping to EU.

I think it could be cheaper with the supplier I have in mind.

max 40 with shipping.

I not worked very often with linux so if there are people how like to try out and help find the right chip that would be great.

as soon as supplier has good chip and price I want people to try it out.

Joefish

Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:47 pm

The Pi has its own set of General Purpose I/O pins (GPIO).

In this thread I was raising an idea on how to interface them to custom microswitch-based joystick and button control systems without the need for an interface.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/for.....-joysticks

Pat

Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:54 pm

- Does it support many outputs ?

They device I tolk about has 4 direction for joystick + 8 for buttons.

also it would be easier then the  GPIO pins.

Joefish

Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:25 pm

Looks like a Mini-PAC board to me.  It has joysticks and up to 12 buttons each for 2 players, if you include coin, start and other buttons.  If you were to re-purpose those inputs you could probably do 4 joysticks with 4 buttons each.  That's the same as I'm proposing for the cost of a few diodes and a custom driver using the GPIO pins.

What you're suggesting, if it is the Mini-PAC, doesn't need a custom driver or any changes to it to operate with Linux.  It turns the switch inputs into keypresses on a standard USB keyboard connection, so it'll work with a Linux machine.

If it is the ULTIMARC one, they have a work-in-progress command-line utility for Linux for reconfiguring the simulated keypresses.  Otherwise you could run their config utility on a PC or Mac, then swap the board over to the Linux box.

Pat

Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:37 pm

The adapter on the picture is the xin mo.
On the suppliers site i found it's compatible with linux so it should work.

It's about 25 dollar but with shipping to EU it will be much more.
45-50.

if i can verify that it works i try to buy more of them so the become cheaper.
So if people are interested let me know and i will get back when I now more.

Pat

Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:39 pm

Supplier confirmed that device is working on Linux !!!

So for people who want to make an easy interface to their joysticks (arcade cabinet)

can contact me.

Chip comes with usb cable en wires from chip to joystick and buttons.

1 player 8 way joystick + 8 buttons = 25 eur incl shipping. (EU)

2 player 8 way joystick + 8 butoons = 35 eur incl shipping (EU)

error404

Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:41 pm

Almost any joystick/controller should work fine. USB HID has a pretty robust way to describe these things, and Linux of course supports this. Unless the device is really weird (force feedback maybe?), everything should work out of the box.

For more DIY-style projects, you can easily cannibalize the control electronics from a keyboard or gamepad and attach your own switches/pots.

Pat

Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:15 pm

error404 said:

Almost any joystick/controller should work fine. USB HID has a pretty robust way to describe these things, and Linux of course supports this. Unless the device is really weird (force feedback maybe?), everything should work out of the box.

For more DIY-style projects, you can easily cannibalize the control electronics from a keyboard or gamepad and attach your own switches/pots.

This is not a joystick, just interface to arcade sticks of an arcade. I don't have good experience with keyboard hacks. This is a robust chip, and it's very easy to hook up your arcade sticks. just like ipac etc. This one is the cheapest of them all.

error404

Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:51 pm

Pat said:

This is not a joystick, just interface to arcade sticks of an arcade. I don't have good experience with keyboard hacks. This is a robust chip, and it's very easy to hook up your arcade sticks. just like ipac etc. This one is the cheapest of them all.

The point was more that this is all standardized in USB, so unless your device is very weird, it should 'just work'. There's not really any reason for a hardware vendor to design their own protocol when USB comes with one; then they don't have to write drivers and can leverage example code for the hardware. It's pretty safe to assume that any joystick/gamepad/arcade controller hardware with a USB interface will work with Raspberry Pi (or any other Linux box).

But really all these input devices are basically the same. A number of analog inputs (sticks, wheels, whatever) and a number of digital inputs (buttons). If you can find a board that has the necessary set of inputs from a cheap joystick or something you should be able to hack it into your own controller hardware quite easily. If you want to save a few bucks and like that sort of thing, anyway .

Joefish

Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:30 am

How much is it without the wiring loom?

Pat

Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:32 pm

TheJoefish said:

How much is it without the wiring loom?

wires come with the chip. You don't have to do anything about them just pulg in to chip and the other side to the arcade stick.

I guess I can use a extra set myself so I can give 5 dollar of the price if you don't need them. (only you )

Prometheus

Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:00 pm

Pat said:

Is it a JAMMA interface, then?

Pat

Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:25 pm

Prometheus said:

Pat said:

Is it a JAMMA interface, then?

It's not a JAMMA interface, a interface to connect joysticks to the pc.

If people want i can also get joysticks and buttons. 8 for joy and 1 euro for the buttons.

cronic

Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:07 am

Hey Pat, i'm interested on 2 of these controllers but i can't PM you. Is it possible to see a picture of these USB Arcade Controller?

greets, cronic

Return to “Other projects”