hellbender

Re: Xibo player (work) on raspberrypi

Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:41 am

Hello feddersenlu,
I think the javascript clock could be an issue, this since loading webpages in berkelium is really slow.

I found an error in the build process while building on another board, which also effects the berkelium build on the RPi. It seems berkelium isn't using hard floating point even if we tell it in the environment files like we have. I am currently in the middle of libAVG so I don't want to occupy my RPi with rebuilding berkelium for two whole days. But I am looking into the problem on the hummingboard I got donated from Cedzo which I am testing right now.

libAVG is coming along, but progress is slow I am afraid. I have adapted code from a fellow libAVG programmer who started with openMAX a while back, but I am having some trouble getting it to output, due to the way libAVG outputs images to screen. Still working on this and hope to have some result within a week or so.

Meanwhile I myself am really proud of all the places my image is showing up :-) I really hope people enjoy it, but I am aware of the limitations the RPi has and the fact they are sometimes problematic in getting the system into production,

Has anyone ever tried to put the resources folder onto a ramdisk to see if this helps performance? If so I would like to hear the experience.

With regards,
Hellbender

feddersenlu

Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:03 pm

Dear Hellbender,
thank you for your reply. I tried taking out the Javascript clock before but the speed problems and the content-in-wrong-region problem remain. I am looking forward to the hummingboard - moaaar power (the Jeremy Clarkson release).

I have gotten myself a second RPi now and will experiment with ramdisk and overclocking - although I fear that my contributions to the project will not make much of a difference. But I think that it is a great project worth pursuing.

The digital signage market is dominated by either lousy software, hefty monthly prices or missing hardware. I am certain that a stable Xibo on Rpi will lead to a massive increase in Xibo usage.

hellbender

Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:10 am

Hi All,
small update at this point.

I updated the code to include OpenMaxDecoder and included into the other videoparts so they will use it. For some reason I am having problems with OpenMax not signaling state changes. So I am very busy figuring out what goes wrong. I am sorry to say this is not really an easy task but I am getting into OpenMax more and more and hope to find a (partial) solution fast. I will release a partial solution if i find it, knowing it may fail in some cases, but atleast having a start with video will help a lot of people advance their projects.

I will keep you posted and if some OpenMax guru comes along please take a look at my fork of libavg at github..

With regards,
Hellbender

Cronoss

Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:56 pm

Hellbender you rocks.

Thanks a lot for sharing your work on Xibo with RPI.

I hope, you are doing well with OpenMax.

I got on mind a project with Xibo which is intense on video usage, and right now I have some progress with Android on RK3066, but the reality is I am a linux user, and I prefer linux.
Based on you experience, I would like to know your advice on diferents platforms.
In case that you get OpenMax working on Raspbian with Pi, would you think it´s posible to follow your ¨Howto on all the building steps¨ with Raspbian for Banana Pi, or some other OS´s with the next platforms: BeagleBoard Black and Hummingboard?
All of this is in case that RPI does not have enought hardware resources (GPU and CPU) to run my Xibo templates.

Best Regards,
Cronoss

hellbender

Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:22 am

Dear Cronoss,
OpenMAX is giving me some headaches in that it isn't calling the callbacks telling me it is done rendering a frame. So it consumes frames but looks like it never finishes them. Several forum posts relate to this topic, but it seems this was fixed in the firmware back in februari, so I am a bit lost here. Currently in the middle of figuring out a good debug method for this problem.

Second I have been working on hummingboard and bananapi to get this working. Hummingboard has the same problem as the raspberry pi. It has hardware accel video (libVPU) but it isn't implemented into ffmpeg or VDPAU. So if I want to use it I will need to code my own implementation. The bananapi on the other hand has got VDPAU support for it's GPU and gives hardware acceleration out of the box. Problem here is that the port for raspbian to bananapi didn't get the video drivers correct ( or opengl ES ) because video isn't rendered to screen until i press my mousebutton to search within the video. Build libavg and it complained it couldn't open OpenGL display. I will get yet another 32GB SDCard ( ran out of space on my 16GB one ) and install bananian on it to see if they did a better job. At current the changes for the bananapi look the best and as it has dual core processing it also could make the rest of the xibo processing run a bit better.

Still burning hours on all these problems and boards, but I will keep you all posted.

With regard,
Hellbender

Mika2413

Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:39 am

Hello everyone.

First, thanks to all & hellbender for the great job you did.
I tried your last image, and it works great : i set up a Raspberry Pi B+ with the Xibo Client, and I installed the CMS on an external server :)
I got some errors with the display, so I had to edit some classes (of the CMS) to make it work properly. The CMS works like a charm.
But I'm facing a little problem,and I can't figure out : the xibo client did not refresh automatically when I add new content to the CMS. I have to go to my Rasp (I set up a keyboard to make some tests) and press "R" key to refresh the client & make them appear.
Is it a natural behavior of the client or is there a pb ?

Thanks a lot !

elofty

Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:15 pm

Hi All,

Thanks for all the fantastic work that's been done here. Sorry if I missed this but has there been any advancement with getting text option to work? We've got a mix of Windows and now Raspberry Pi clients and it would be ideal if we could get it running from the one design

Cronoss

Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:20 pm

Dear Hellbender.

Thanks for your response.
I will be heedful to your updates on this theme.

Let us know any update or advance on whichever devices or OS´s.

Best regards,
Cronoss

hellbender

Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:37 am

@Mika2413,
you can configure after how many seconds the client should ask the server is any updates are available. Out of the top of my head it does this once every 15 minutes or so. It is set in the site.cfg file.

@elofty,
What is wrong with the text option, because as far as I am aware this is working on the client. If you mix clients and servers make sure they all are the latest version to prevent incompatability between the client and server data-files.

And YES YES YES last night the first hardware accelerated movie showed its ugly head on my pi. In a frustrated moment I went back to the source of the code I am using, namely hello_video in the hello_pi folder of the VideoCore code ( /opt/vc/src/hello_pi ).
I thought I would test if it ran my video and then try to figure out the differences between this code and the code in libAVG. Seems that this code is only able to play the movie supplied with the code. I tested it with my downloaded version of big buck bunny ( which is H264 in a MOV container ) but it won't show the movie. Playing it with the version supplied with the source code showed the movie. So I included that version in the libAVG sample I use to test my code with and YEAH BABY we have video.

Seems the decoding scheme is hardcoded into the code. Great. I also tested both video's with omxplayer and he plays both just fine, so guess who is crawling through the omxplayer source code right now :-). Problem is both were writting with a completely different base in mind so mapping code from one to the other isn't straight forward, but I atleast have a starting point to continue from.

At current the code doesn't :

- scale the movie to size, so it is cropped to fit the canvas window
- end the movie at end of file, so libAVG never ends the player
- clean the OMX components after itself ( ah well we have half a gig of memory, how fast will this memory leak fill it all )

Hope to have more advances in the coming days, but atleast my frustrations about this project lifted a bit now I finally see that this code really does something

regards,
Hellbender

elofty

Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:46 am

Hi Hellbender,

When I try to show text over a bg picture I just get a black screen (using your latest image) It was scrolling text though would that cause it to not show?

Cheers

Matt

nelson123

Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:07 pm

Hey,

is there a way to connect an own client with xibo-cms? E. G. a shellscript that download's the content (Images and videos) and display this on Rpi?

Regards
Nelson

hellbender

Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:24 pm

You could take the DownloadManager class from the python client. This will download the content to the local client. This content can be parsed and used in a self build client.

nelson123

Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:53 am

hmm,
thanks for the reply. I found here an Pythonscript. How can i implement this? I must install the client? Or can I use this script out of the box?

[EDIT] I have found a wikipage. I try this.......
http://wiki.xibo.org.uk/wiki/Offline_Download_Client

[EDIT2] This Client need's a Display. :(
I search a way to download the content with commandline.

hellbender

Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:45 pm

Hi All,
I think it would be nice to give an update. I am currently in the middle of trying to get the video to resize to the texture size. This seems to be a royal pain in the ass. I can't figure out why I am getting paramter invalid or state invalid errors. So i have resorted to copying a piece of code from the internet and compiling it outside of everything in the hope I can figure out why the resize component works in that code and not inside libavg. On the other side libAVG is sending me the wrong texture size ( i get 1920x1080 while my canvas is only 1200x900 ).

Still working on the solution but I am starting to understand the idea behind OpenMax better now so I hope to get this working in a little while. Also still trying to get the code to work with something different than the test movie, but I think I have found the difference in OMXPlayers code and the code I am using. So that also is in the pipeline.

@nelson123,
check why this code needs a display, since it doesn't output any graphics what so ever.

CedZO

Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:42 am

Hello hellbender.. Do you have any progress on any of the boards?
- Bannana Pi?
- Raspberry Pi?
- Hummingboard?

I have all the boards right now :)

btw. Nice progress on the RPI

hellbender

Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:50 pm

Hello Cedzo,
in reply to your request :

Hummingboard : Project halted, since adding openVPU support to ffmpeg of libavg is the same amount of work as adding openMAX, but more people will benefit from openMAX support
Raspberry Pi : In the middle of a full out war with the GPU/Openmax libary about resizing the video to the canvas size. But is actively worked on.
Banana Pi : Setup and working on showing video with libAVG. Having trouble setting up all packages and libraries for the bananian, but also working on getting this up and running.

I have posted a help request to the programming/openmax group on this forum hoping for someone able to help me with the resizing problem I have.

I will keep everybody posted as progress goes on.

With regards,
Hellbender

gangstalolos

Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:58 pm

Hi all,

I've set up a Raspberry Pi (model B+) connected to my Xibo server, with the last image (25/09/2014) that I found on http://rpiserver.breggen.nl/. So far so good : everything works, my PI can download and play the files from the server. My problem come up when I want to play a HD video, there is too much lag.

I've read everything on that forum board, and a lot of post are about video issue, but I'm still not sure if the PI can play a HD video or not. I mean, did I make a mistake somewhere or it is just not possible regardless the configuration ?

Thx for your help.

hellbender

Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:59 am

Hello All,
Small update, yesterday i got the resized video working insize a VideoNode. Problem now is that only the test video from the hello_video code works. I am going to search for the reason omxplayer can play this video and the demo code can't. I presume it has something to do with the fact the complete video has audio in it.

Also still need to find the reason the end of video doesn't end the player. It stalls at the last frame. Will be looking into that also. Currently I am looking at re-using part of the omxplayer code to clean up all the OMX mess that is needed to play all this stuff. Hopefully it will also shed some light on a few problems/questions i still have about using OMX.

If people are interested in the code, it can be found at : https://github.com/hellbender3069/libavg_OpenMax_New
The only thing I will garanty is that is will crash.

@gangstalolos.
Video is not working yet, still in the middle of writing the libAVG code for OpenMax. Hopefully in the next couple of weeks things will start to work more properly so I can release a Beta code.

ghans

Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:08 pm

The difference between hello_video and omxplayer is that
hello_video can only play raw h.264. Real world video files
are so called containers which contain audio , video and other
streams. They have to be "demuxed" to get raw h.264 , for
example.

Therefore omxplayer has to and does use ffmpeg for demuxing.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

hellbender

Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:12 pm

Hello Ghans,
thanks for the info. I will look into how the other players use FFMpeg/LibAV to demux the thing.

Hellbender

gangstalolos

Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:56 am

Thx Hellbender for your answer, I really apprciate your work and I hope you'll find your way.

guruevi

Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:29 pm

I was able to get my own player to work for seamless multi-video loops using gstreamer (PyGST) on the Raspberry Pi. I don't know whether anyone is interested in porting the entire Xibo player to gstreamer but it works incredibly well.

The hello_pi code only decodes h264 transport streams, not MP4/whatever containers. I've used it for my own digital signage player (a hacky version to have seamless multi-video loops) and with some ffmpeg-fu (or avconv) you can create compatible files.

CryptoManiac

Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:01 pm

Hello all,

I must start by thanking and congratulating hellbender for all the hard work he has put in and continues to do so in order to achieve a functional Xibo installation on RPi. Keep up the good work man! :)

There is something that I noticed and wanted to bring to your attention. It seems that HTML5 embedded is not supported. I used the latest image 25-09-2014 to test. This was important for me as I have the requirement to display some streams. I am aware that video is currently not working on this latest image but I am confident that hellbender is working on a solution. Once video starts to work what will be my options be to get video streaming to work without HTML5 support or will there be a solution for HTML5 as well in the near future?

By the way, I am willing to use any way that would make streaming possible but I will be using VLC on windows so send out the stream. I don't mind which codec/protocol combo will be used as long as I can somehow schedule the stream in Xibo using embedded HTML.

Looking forward to some input. Thanks. :-)

hellbender

Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:14 pm

Hello CryptoMania,
HTML5 is not support due to the fact that berkelium is based on Chrome 11, which is a very old build. Since berkelium can't be build with newer versions of chrome we currently are stuck with HTML4 support. I have been looking at the new epiphany browser currently released by the RPi Foundation. One of the projects that could be started is adapting epiphany for offscreen rendering and then creating a BrowserNode plugin for this browser. This will make HTML5 and hw accellerated stream available to libAVG and Xibo.

I have started including parts of the OMXPlayer code into my OpenMAX code. Working on getting it to compile after which I hope the demuxing of the streams will start to work.

I will keep everybody posted,
Hellbender

chronologie

Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:42 am

hellbender wrote:Hello CryptoMania,
HTML5 is not support due to the fact that berkelium is based on Chrome 11, which is a very old build. Since berkelium can't be build with newer versions of chrome we currently are stuck with HTML4 support. I have been looking at the new epiphany browser currently released by the RPi Foundation. One of the projects that could be started is adapting epiphany for offscreen rendering and then creating a BrowserNode plugin for this browser. This will make HTML5 and hw accellerated stream available to libAVG and Xibo.

I have started including parts of the OMXPlayer code into my OpenMAX code. Working on getting it to compile after which I hope the demuxing of the streams will start to work.

I will keep everybody posted,
Hellbender
Hi Hellbender,

Thanks for your great work. But after i tried, i've one problem on showing webpage on Xibo. If i arrange webpage, it's always skipping the next content after the webpage.

Return to “Other projects”