rvanner

Re: App Game Kit for Raspberry Pi?

Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:03 pm

Hi, we have a game making tool called App Game Kit. Users can code their game in the BASIC script and it will then run interpreted on all supported platforms.

We are very interested in supporting the Raspberry Pi platform.

Check out http://www.appgamekit.com to learn more about AGK. Do you think Raspberry Pi users would want this?

Rick Vanner

Director

The Game Creators Ltd

archsaddler

Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:12 pm

At $112 , i think it's unlikely .

ghans

Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:13 pm

This looks awesome.
You should try to contact the foundation directly. How are you planning to license and distribute it on the Linux platform ?

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

Deekkarn

Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:19 pm

@ archsaddler

I'm guessing that they wish to add support for the games made with AGK, primarily. Then again, it would be cool to use it on the Raspberry Pi and make games

Otherwise, awesome that TGK has found out about Raspberry Pi and are interested in it. Looking forward to it, being a user of their tools

ghans

Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:26 pm

@Deekkarn
I am curious if this is true.
It would mean they target the R-Pi as a gaming device , not a hacking device.

I do not think that current-day App Devs consider to that be one and the same market , so why should The Game Creators Ltd. ?

Such games AFAIK are meant to reach a wider public , and the R-Pi is not that user-friendly (from a commoner perspective) or widespread like a iPhone.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

Deekkarn

Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:41 pm

@ ghans

True, the Raspberry Pi is oriented towards people that have a lust for hacking and testing things, especially computers but are afraid of damaging it. Still, since they almost certainly already have support for other ARM based platforms, porting it to the Raspberry Pi would most likely be easy. So why not do it? Since people will hook theirs up to a TV, why not have the ability to play some simple games?

Anyway, that's my five cents on the matter

kaedroho

Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:53 pm

I'm a big fan of TGCs tools. I've been using them for about 5 years now and they're really good! I've also written some plugins for their main program called Dark Basic Pro.

I've got a copy of AGK and its really good. So far I've only used the BASIC side of it but you can also code your games in C++. The same project can be compiled for all their supported platforms and it looks the exact same on all of them without having to change anything.

Its very simple to use and perfect for starters. The C++ library has the same commands as the BASIC one so it makes it easier to learn C++. In my opinion, its 100% worth the price.

As far as I know, TGC only support Windows for the development side (they might support Mac too but I'm not sure). If TGC were to port the development tools, as well as the player, to Raspberry Pi then I would say its a great idea.

Cybermind13

Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:43 pm

Are there any news on this? I would like to run software made in AGK on a Raspberry Pi 2 with Minibian.

Khouser

Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:28 pm

I'm an AGK Kickstarter supporter and would love to see the Pi and ARM Linux supported. And I'll be using it for more than just games!

Return to “Other projects”