fridgefreezer

Re: Car Computer?

Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:00 pm

Watching this thread with interest - I wish I had the time to offer some assistance getting something running, maybe one day when all the other projects are done :D

Anyway, a few thoughts as I've been involved with various "technologising" of cars.

GPS is a good start, there are loads of tiny & cheap GPS modules out there that have SPI interfaces. I would take a close look at OziExplorer CE as it has a couple of good points:
- It's available for ARM powered devices already
- It's a small independent project, with documented API's
- You can scan in & calibrate any image and use it as a map
- It has provision for things like auto-pilot outputs which extends potential uses in the Rpi community to UAV's, robots, etc.

Diagnostics via OBD / CANBus is another good idea, you can get a lot of information through that these days and manufacturers have to provide at least the basics by default.

Taking things one step further you could use the Pi to control the vehicle - an open-source replacement for the various dedicated control systems found in cars these days. Once you can talk on the CANbus you are getting close to being able to pretend to be part of the car. Also worth looking at the open-source DIY fuel injection project Megasquirt, it's got a huge user base and is used to run almost any spark-ignition engine.
I'm actually hoping to add suitable drivers to my Pi to read the live data from the Megasquirt and control stepper motors mounted in gauges to give me a digital dashboard with old/original instruments.

As for things like touch-screens / cameras, I would look closely at what's on eBay before deciding to reinvent the wheel - I run a cheap Eonon car stereo from eBay but it has 7" touch-screen TFT, 4x50W amp, 2 video-outs, 3 video-ins, GPS, USB/SD, DVD/MP3/TV/AM/FM/DAB etc. etc. so I find it hard to see any way you can improve on that sort of stuff given the prices coming out of china. I could well imagine plugging the Pi into it to provide extra functionality but I can't see any way of packaging the Pi in custom hardware for anywhere near a sensible price.

One thing that would be cool is a configurable camera / DVR, for long journeys having something that takes a picture every few minutes would make an interesting time-lapse movie, or there's the popular looping "accident-cam" DVR functionality (but again, these are £25 on eBay ready to go).

Who_ate_all_the_pi

Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:47 am

I'm thinking of using the pi for a video server with an anpr/lpr camera on the rear of my BMW sending the live stream to a computer indoors with the anpr software running and prossesing the images sent from the pi. Then I will use my iPad client software to remotely access the anpr software on my pc. The idea is that when a police car (unmarked) is behind me I will be alerted real time by the software. I already have over 400 number plates of marked and unmarked vehicles from London and surrounding counties as thats where I live. Any suggestions or comments welcome.

fridgefreezer

Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:59 am

Interesting idea, seems like a lot of work given that it won't guarantee you'll spot unmarked cars (only ones the database knows) and if it's close enough to read the reg you're probably already in whatever trouble you were hoping to avoid.

DMcK

Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:26 am

Hi,
I'm currently using my RPi for a raspbmc "vanputer". I installed some relays to allow me to switch my touch screen between the stock GPS system and my RPi. I bought a microchip USB touch screen controller. The touch screen "works" but is misaligned and each axis is inverted. I tried compiling drivers for it but have experienced errors doing this. So, for now, I'm currently using a flirc IR receiver to control it.
It's nice to have all my music available. And the videos are great for my daughter. Every van being built should have one of these installed.

Basstrom

Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:22 am

Hi all very new to Raspberry Pi and first post here.

I'm just in the initial stages of planning for this and thinking of using RPi as a replacement for the cars built in entertainment system, however...

The climate controls are also built into the same screen, would it be possible using an addon board to display what settings the climate control system is set to using RPi?
Essentially it would need to show the temperature the climate is set to, fan speed, fresh or recirculate, ac on or off and which vents are being used. (just as small icons)
I can tap into the wires which control this to get read outs.

fridgefreezer

Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:45 am

You need to work out how the panel works, what talks to it with what sort of protocol or control lines, is it just a display, does it control something, is it talking to an ECU somewhere, etc.

That will dictate what you need to do both hardware and software wise to use it with the Pi. It may be more the case that you connect the Pi to it and persuade it to act as a display, rather than replace it with the Pi.

Basstrom

Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:38 am

Essentially with the display that is in there you can hook up an external source to it and display whatever on there (seen people with high def tv tuners, computers, xbox) so thats not an issue.
It would be trying to display what the display originally displays but in a different format.

I've worked out I need to be able to read in 11 different signals and display information for each, 5 of which are just where the vent is pointing. Essentially sense when a signal is on a wire.

My concern is the hardware side really being new to RPi.

What hardware is around that could potentially take 11 different signals at minimum voltage of 10 maximum of 18? (car's alternator charges at 14.4v, most car systems are 12v giving the range to be on the safe side).
I can soldier quite competently so the hardware doesn't have to be pre-assembled.

I can see two ways of doing this with what I already know about electronics.
One would be to detect if there is a voltage on the line and how much that voltage is for 2 of the cases, other 11 just if there is a voltage. And being a car its got a common ground.
The other way is a bit messy and that is detecting current. This would require 22 connectors in total, 2 for each one and actually putting the hardware into the circuit.

Thanks for you quick replies too.

fridgefreezer

Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:00 am

First off, in automotive applications, you need to assume far worse cases than you have done - when starting or switching off, transient voltages can hit 100v and battery voltage can drop below 7v, have a look at this:
http://www.littelfuse.com/data/en/Appli ... an9312.pdf
It's not definitive but gives you an idea. Modern cars with "smart" alternators will charge at 18v or more after startup so you need to make sure you tolerate a fair bit more to be safe.

Circuits that work for interfacing car-voltage (I won't say "12v" as that's too clean) to a microprocessor are not complex, there's a few proven examples here:
http://www.msextra.com/doc/ms1extra/MS_ ... #mapswitch
Note that the reference voltage is 5v as they are using a 5v micro, whereas the Pi is 3v3, but the principle is the same.

You could also use opto-isolators (example 4n25) for the inputs.

For more IO, and an extra layer of stuff between the outside world and the poor little Pi, you could use an MCP23017 or similar I2C IO expander which gives you 16 configurable IO pins for the use of two wires.

Basstrom

Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:13 pm

fridgefreezer wrote: You could also use opto-isolators (example 4n25) for the inputs.

For more IO, and an extra layer of stuff between the outside world and the poor little Pi, you could use an MCP23017 or similar I2C IO expander which gives you 16 configurable IO pins for the use of two wires.
Didn't realise about the voltage spikes, guess it depends on the car though.

So you would suggest to make my own I/O board instead of something that is available? So using the MCP23017 to interface then back to the Pi?

fridgefreezer

Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:57 am

It very much depends what's available and for how much, and how many inputs you need. That's down to you to research/decide really.

I'm not up to speed with what's out there as I haven't really had much free time to play with my Pi, it's possible you could use a standard IO board, or modify one to suit, but you need to be aware of the abuse it may suffer in a car compared with on a lab bench.

Worth noting that most chips are available in "automotive grade" with a greater temperature range as it can get very cold and very hot in a car depending on the season.

If you're going for a permanent installation, clean any solder flux off the boards and I'd look at conformal coating them too, electricity and moisture don't mix and will corrode the legs off a chip in short order. Just don't get conformal coating in the connectors!

Basstrom

Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:03 am

No worries,

I'm thinking I might have a look at what IO boards are around currently and seeing if they will suit, it not seeing if I can fabricate one.

Definitely been a great help mate thanks :D

fridgefreezer

Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:37 am

ULN2803APG IC's are a lazy way to drive relays etc. up to ~500mA, and they include the reverse-voltage protection diodes. Worth understanding what's going on though, reality trumps data-sheet ratings often enough to keep you on your toes ;)

SN

Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:13 am

Who_ate_all_the_pi wrote:I'm thinking of using the pi for a video server with an anpr/lpr camera on the rear of my BMW sending the live stream to a computer indoors with the anpr software running and prossesing the images sent from the pi. Then I will use my iPad client software to remotely access the anpr software on my pc. The idea is that when a police car (unmarked) is behind me I will be alerted real time by the software. I already have over 400 number plates of marked and unmarked vehicles from London and surrounding counties as thats where I live. Any suggestions or comments welcome.
Here's your starting point
http://www.dexmac.com/index.php/softwar ... egatewayqt
And it would appear that the author, as at 7th September, porting it to the Pi :D
Steve N – binatone mk4->intellivision->zx81->spectrum->cbm64->cpc6128->520stfm->pc->raspi ?

bigwillybiker

Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:07 pm

Mate! the possibilities are endless.. you could quite easily hook up a load of old speakers, Optical drives and a screen to make a multi-cd, cd player for your car. many cars these day have a cool feature that is usually swept under the carpet. It measures the vehicle speed and will adjust the radio's volume up or down so the radio can be heard over lots of wind, engine or tyre noise. I.E when accelerating on the motorway the radio's volume will automatically increase. Just in-case you want to get creative!

Good luck
Bigwillybiker :)

ghans

Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:50 pm

The point is that reverse-engineering and learning might not take weeks ,
but months (including researching things ). For each suggestion i saw here it seems
people are under-estimating latter by a big degree. So those things are unrealistic
if you don't want to spend more time (and money ) on this than working
to buy a better car (or Car PC ) or simply having a RL .

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

Dee63

Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:33 am

ghans wrote:The point is that reverse-engineering and learning might not take weeks ,
but months (including researching things ). For each suggestion i saw here it seems
people are under-estimating latter by a big degree. So those things are unrealistic
if you don't want to spend more time (and money ) on this than working
to buy a better car (or Car PC ) or simply having a RL .

ghans
Something of that maybe true, but....
I've made google search for car pc for a long time.
There is no pretty nice functions&price devices.
Music and navi- that's all... nothing more.

Continental automotive group trying to make their own project called Autolinq™ http://www.google.ru/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=& ... MORSjsgd4g
Android in car project.
Nice project, but there is not on market yet
And there is no analog devices on market.

Self-made project of car automation without IT-education, for non-programmer- is unrealistic.

But there are many people who works in IT or programming, they can make community and work together with that project.

I'm from Russia, and at the moment i have some people who can produce some parts of that big project, we have business-plan, tecnical specifications for some of car's systems etc.
This is not impossible! it's work, and it will be finished soon.

ghans

Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:14 pm

Is your system based on a Pi ?

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

Dee63

Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:49 am

ghans wrote:Is your system based on a Pi ?

ghans
yep)
and not on a Pi too/

ghans

Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:24 am

Very interesting. Which markets do you target (Europe , US ,.. ) ?
What is the status ? When will it be available to be bought ?

ghans

Dee63

Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:34 pm

ghans wrote:Very interesting. Which markets do you target (Europe , US ,.. ) ?
What is the status ? When will it be available to be bought ?

ghans
Target markets are: Russia, Europe (may needs adaptation in some mechanisms, in cooperation with manufacturers) and US too.
In our dreams- all over the world :oops:

Status- testing in progress. At the moment we have rev. 2.0 of our system.
Sales start- aug-sept 2013. But period can be changed.

I think tahts my idea and our realisation will be usefull in car.

By the way, it will be not just a CarPC as-is. It will be more than carpc you ever see))

ghans

Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:50 pm

Very exited.
Wish you the best of luck.

ghans

Rysler

Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:16 pm

I'm working on this project for a Car PC, it might be interesting:
www.sinnodesign.com

Dee63

Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:16 am

Rysler wrote:I'm working on this project for a Car PC, it might be interesting:
http://www.sinnodesign.com
Pretty nice Electrical Concet.
I want ask you about electronical components.
Why did you shoise Freescale Kinetis K20_100 microcontroller: MK20DN512VLK10?
Are you shure that in can operate with all data without stacking with overload?

And which platform end-user or programmer will use in their work with that system?
Do you plain provide your own interface or leave built-in OS?

About your quetions that still open (from your site):
1. Backup camera inputs.
2. Startup times
3. Tousch screen interface.

But you should sort it like that:
1. Startup times PLUS shutting down in some cases
2. Tousch screen AND interface for using device.
3. Backup camera inputs.

I can help you with that issues.
If you need my help-wellcome to email tsarev.dmitry@gmail.com

Rysler

Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:54 pm

Dee63 wrote:
Rysler wrote:I'm working on this project for a Car PC, it might be interesting:
http://www.sinnodesign.com
Pretty nice Electrical Concet.
I want ask you about electronical components.
Why did you shoise Freescale Kinetis K20_100 microcontroller: MK20DN512VLK10?
Are you shure that in can operate with all data without stacking with overload?

And which platform end-user or programmer will use in their work with that system?
Do you plain provide your own interface or leave built-in OS?

About your quetions that still open (from your site):
1. Backup camera inputs.
2. Startup times
3. Tousch screen interface.

But you should sort it like that:
1. Startup times PLUS shutting down in some cases
2. Tousch screen AND interface for using device.
3. Backup camera inputs.

I can help you with that issues.
If you need my help-wellcome to email tsarev.dmitry@gmail.com
Hi:

I've choosen the Kinetis because of several reasons:
1) This family of uC is huge, you can go from very tiny processors up to high performance, all with same core and peripherals configurations.
2) Freescale already give us many software (like the OS).
3) Is what I have worked with in the past :-)
4) It has all peripherals I need.
Of course any other suggestion is more than welcome!
I will update the drawing per your recommendations; I agree on your comments.

Canoeman

Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:49 pm

I have a PI working withba lilput 10 inch touch screen ( dont have touch part working yet) hooked up to a wifi dongle and connecting to a tmobile 4g hot spot.
It works great, with the k400 keyboard touch pad combo.
I bought the mobile 12 volt power supply off ebay, that has a micro usb, connector, a power/surge circuit box. And raw pigtails to connect into 12 volts.
It is designed to prevent surges and high voltage.
I am in the midst of setting it up on a RAM mount mobule laptop table that swivels and hinges in every direction as well as up and down, and swings out of the way.
I has a bracket that is designed for the particylar vehicle, that only requires yoo to loosen the front seat bolts, and the racket slips in and the bolts tighten.
The mount used to hold a huge older sony laptop, and ham radio, in my honda ridgeline pickup truck.
Now its going to hold the PI, the 10 inch lilipput, and my ham radio, with GPS, aprs tracking running, as well as Dgps on Dstar, AND k400 wireless Keyboard
I will post pictures when I am done.
The only thing I need to figure out, is how to get the actual touch screen software worki g on the PI.

Canoeman
Distracted driving, what, did you say???

Return to “Other projects”