ravyHD

Re: Tiny Home theater PC

Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:49 am

Hello, I'm planning to buy a RaspberryPi as soon as they will be available, and i wanted to make a tiny HTPC running XBMC, so I've got few questions:

1. Will I be able to connect a Bluetooth USB Adapter, so I can connect a small Bluetooth keyboard and touchpad?

2. Will I be able to connect a USB Blu Ray player, like this one: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sams.....092wt_1396

3. Is the RaspberryPi capable of playing BluRay movies?

Goggles2114

Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:11 am

I sadly cannot really answer any of your questions but it's more practical minded than my idea of trying to hardwire the bluray player into the raspi.

Jessie

Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:36 am

ravyHD said:

I can't answer the first two questions but I can anwer this one.  The answer is... directly from the disk no.  Paying for a license fee to read the DRM encoded material on a BluRay disk would have raised the cost of the R-Pi, and I'm not even sure that the SOC is certified for the task.  It isn't a matter of capability but of licensing fees.

However, you can take a legit BluRay and strip it of it's DRM and then the R-Pi can decode it.  You just need to have enough space on your SD card or a network HDD to do it.

If you are looking for a somewhat inexpensive BluRay player this is not it.  But you can also rip to a network drive and sling the data to the R-Pi.  This configuration would make your rig in your entertainment stand smaller.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:29 am

1. I tried a bluetooth adapter on an alpha board and it worked OK.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

mcscruff

Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:26 pm

Not through a linux based distro, at the moment the only way to watch a bluRay film on a linux pc is for it to be ripped to hdd and then played (there is ways to do this on the fly but it still gets ripped)

Goggles2114

Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:48 pm

So BluRay is out. Could this be done with a dvd drive?

Yea yea you lose a potentially cheap (ish) bluray player but still, dvd's are still out there in mass.7

hvc123

Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:21 pm

i didnt think that playing BlueRay disks on linux was possible, i mean there is an app to create a mkv on the fly and then you connect to that stream. but i have a blueray/dvd wr i would like to use too

IT_Sean

Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:02 pm

How easy will it be to get xbmc running on the raspi?
Unofficial Raspberry Pi IRC channel: #raspberrypi on irc.freenode.net
Come join us for a chat!

abishur

Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:33 pm

IT_Sean said:

How easy will it be to get xbmc running on the raspi?

Check the front page
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

malibu

Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:45 pm

Hi there.  I have a blu-ray drive in an older P4 machine with 3Gb ram and I tried to play a blu-ray once through a decrypter + XBMC and the results were terribly disappointing.  As it turns out, decrypting blu-ray is an incredibly CPU-intensive task and that system just could not keep up to it for real time video.  I am thinking the raspberrypi would have a hard time with it as well.

mikeplow1961

Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:32 am

Far better to rip the disc to somewhere on your network, once done it removed having to physically mount a disc every time anyway.

Goggles2114

Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:47 pm

Nevermind the fact  this is probably illegal to do whether it's purely to archive the actual disks or not.

sisk

Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:06 pm

Goggles2114 said:

Nevermind the fact  this is probably illegal to do whether it's purely to archive the actual disks or not.

It's not. So long as you own the disc in question ripping it to a disk for your personal use is fair use. It's when you rip disks that you don't own or let other people use the ripped image that you get in trouble.

Return to “Other projects”