shy_pi_guy

Re: Car Security Camera System

Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:42 am

I intend to place a Raspberry Pi in my car along with 3 cameras to record while I am driving as well as have motion detection while the car is off. The setup I would like to do is as follows:

Camera mounted on the front windshield above the rear-view mirror facing forward. I would like this to be HD quality, and possibly have a wide-angle lens.

Camera on the rear windshield (or possibly rear deck or a license-plate cam). Does not have to be HD, and could possibly be wide-angle.

Camera on the passenger A-pillar facing the driver. Camera would have to be small so it does not stick out too far, or possibly be set behind the pillar molding with a hole cut out for the lens.

The Raspberry Pi would be running something like motion for motion detection & recording.

A rechargeable battery to power the Raspberry Pi and cameras while the car is off. This battery would have to be able to be charged fairly quickly (assuming the car will only be on for maybe an hour a day) and be able to power this system for 24 hours after the car is off.

Wirelessly transmit the stored recordings to either a home server (assuming the car is parked close enough to your wifi AP) or a laptop/cell phone, and then delete the recordings as soon as they are transferred.

Is anyone interested in this project, or would you be willing to participate?

Username

Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:51 am

Super interested.

I was planning on doing this exact thing, just not with as many cameras. One Raspi for the dash camera system and possibly a second to run Pocket Sphinx for voice commands to play my music and possibly GPS.

I"d love to hear your thoughts, and I"d be willing to help in anyway I can.

The biggest issue that we will have is triggering the recording automatically. It wouldn"t be a huge pain to have a button press trigger recording, but it would be much more elegant if the recording could start and stop whenever the car is running.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:27 am

Although the GPU has two camera interfaces (because most mobiles nowadays have front and rear cameras), I think only one is exported on the Raspi.

If you can plug two cameras, HD encode (1080p30) takes a lot of the GPU power so you have trouble doing that plus another camera at the same time. 720p30 and lets say VGA would be doable though I think.

Now the bad news. I think that would need some work to be done on the GPU, which is closed.

You could use USB cameras of course - but you would probably run out of bandwidth with more than one.

Great idea for a project though.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

FatPuppy

Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:02 pm

This is a similar project to what I had in mind. I wasn't really thinking about it for security but more as cheap black box recorder. I've been in a couple of incidents where I've thought it would be nice to have video of how close that person was driving behind me before he/she nearly hit me

What I was considering initially was only two cameras, one in the windscreen and one out the back. Continuous recording when the ignition is on, shouldn't take long the board to boot and get going so I don't see the need for keeping it on in my case. I also wanted to plumb in a simple usb button (you can get these "power save" buttons that your suppose to hit before leaving the office to switch off your computer) that when pressed would save the preceding minute or so to permanent storage.

The other features I would like to add would be:

1. Data logging, perhaps using OBDII dongle and bluetooth, to get speed (and other useful data).

2. GPS. (perhaps from my phone)

I'd not considered the compression facilities on the GPU but this does seem like a good idea if it can be made to work. I was going to start looking at usb webcams and seeing what data rates they use.

If done well a system that can do this would also be very useful for security and also possibly amateur motorsport. I know a few people that do track days that would love to plot graphs of everything and watch the video. I realise that there are already bullet cams and apps for android that can do most of this part but a system that brings it all together and can be left in the car permanently would be nice.

All we have to do now is wait for it to be released

jamesh

Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:08 pm

I keep meaning to get my GPS dongle working on the alpha board - was nearly there but haven't had time recently. I also have a USB ODBC2 device, which I would also like to get going. Think I already have most of the components - I even have the right car (see avatar) - now all I need is the time!
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

hvc123

Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:33 pm

i had a usb gps unit work great in linux basically it add a serial port i.e /dev/TTYUSB0 or something. its pretty easy im sure usb OBDII would be just as simple just how to convert the output........

and what front end would you put on the machine for a car pc? i intend on doing a droid port for niceness/ease of use to the driver but thats already been talked about many times by both of us.

i cant find a good X front end for carpc

Redrobes

Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:43 am

I noted this camera module the other day. Its dead cheap considering what it does but it might be fiddly to interface. But I thought the RPi had a couple of IO lines and some of them were serial. If they are something which could be made to do I2C then it would open up a lot of options.

http://www.technobotsonline.co.....x-480.html

EricMiddleton

Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:24 am

Perhaps I'm oversimplifying this a bit, but I think I have a way to use multiple cameras on the RPi. I am planning on using a GPIO to toggle (1 or 0) and use transistors to allow camera0 or camera1 signals though the CSI interface. It could also be expanded (using more GPIOs) to allow many more cameras to work. Thoughts?

pricecheaperton

Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:54 pm

I am looking to create a similar system to that of the thread starter. I would like to create a night vision camera which will secretly record and save the data to SD card hidden in the Raspberry Pi. I need to be able to run the "black box" including camera via an external power source. Maybe a battery pack which is removable and can be charged daily? I wouldn't want to connect it to my car battery as im not sure how much power it would suck out? In fact im not even sure how to do that via USB?

ShaunM

Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:22 pm

I currently have a setup where I have a headless Pi, with a GPS, Bluetooth PAN, 4g GPRS, or Wifi. It currently logs all data, and sends to a server that live plots and maps my current location. The system had OBD II support and logging, but for some reason that's no longer functioning.

pingu512

Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:34 pm

I did get an ODBC2 connection working and logging to a csv file. I also had a usb gps unit recording position every few seconds. But I ran into problems running both, which I think was a power problem.

http://www.dragontail.co.uk

pricecheaperton

Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:06 pm

Has anyone built any sort of car security camera with RPI?

chorlton2080

Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:16 pm

I have. I use a Python motion capture script and a 3G dongle to email both latest and motion detect images.

If you are interested I'll post more details.

pricecheaperton

Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:00 pm

Yes please. I would like to see all the info, thanks..

pricecheaperton

Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:35 pm

Anyone?????????

chorlton2080

Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:37 pm

I'll post something this weekend if you can wait?

rasp4bruin

Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:11 am

Seems like this is an old thread and might be dead now, but I'm pondering this idea and ran across the thread today. Without hijacking I'll throw in my 2 cents about architecture as I have quite a bit of experience in the IP security cameras, motion detection, etc, space. I highly recommend doing the mocord (the industry portmanteau that means MOtionreCORDing, possibly coined by ZoneMinder) in the camera itself if possible. When done in-camera the detection is done with firmware on silicon which means it is very processor efficient (offloads CPU/GPU away from the RasPI) and very energy efficient (in parked car that's important).

I'm also looking for a "complete package" by integrating cameras (mainly for backup on my large vehicle), GPS + OBDII for logging, and security alarm remote-control type features (I'd like to turn my Nissan into a Knight Industries Three Thousand).

gimbus109

Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:52 pm

I'm working on a similar project for home security system:
4 IP cameras connected to RasPi, displayed on a monitor simultaneusly and recorded on a USB HDD. No motion detection at this moment (I think this will never be done - to less CPU power), only continuous recording.
User can switch desired camera to full-screen and return to quad display.
Needs a lot of polish but usable at this moment.
Components used:
- raspberry pi
- 4 Ubiquiti AirCam cameras
- an 8-port switch
- external USB 2,5" HDD 500GB
AirCam exposes 4 rtsp streams, with a 24 hrs/day recording of the best stream HDD gets full after 4-5 days (depends on the recorded scene). Recording the second stream instead gives ca 20 days of continuous recording.
No conversion of the video stream - this could increase recording time (reducing fps for example) but drives the CPU to 100% usage.
My normal CPU usage varies between 55-75% and this is acceptable.
Everything written in bash ;-)
If someone is interested I'll post the code somewhere..
And any fresh look and help will be appreciate ;-)
Gimbus

Das_Krych

Re: gimbus109 - Car Security Camera System

Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:33 am

gimbus109, I would be interested in seeing your methods. I am also looking into a similar project. Send me the code when you get the chance? Thank you for your help

gimbus109

Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:54 am

Hello, Das_Krych!
I'm very busy at this moment, but I hope in the weekend I will find some time to post my code.
Cheers
gimbus

4myrpi

Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:20 pm

I'm very interested in this project and very new to rpi :D
Is anybody having more information about how to do it ?

twizee

Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:36 pm

Hi

Great idea about the car security. I believe I would like to know how to add these additional features:

- 360 degree outside video recording while driving, motion activation in close range when parked.
- 360 degree internal video recording while driving, motion activation when people enter/exit vehicle.
- GPS location identification
- ESD (Emergency Shut down) If vehicle is parked it will not turn on with a key until password is entered.
- Run on additional battery which is also charged when vehicle is running. Nickel metal hydride battery preferred.
- Shutdown on battery depletion. Car will not run at all if raspberry pi is not actively functioning.
- Car locks completely when Raspberry Pi is not running, doors will not open without smashing window.
- Alarm on tampering with vehicle once in parked mode. Must have proper signal to turn off alarm.
- Emergency button to alert police.

The idea is to make the vehicle extremely uncomfortable to steal from or drive erratically around. Video should go to a cloud server where it can be collected and sent directly to Police.

All cars on earth should have this.

mcwoods

Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:01 pm

Hi there. After discovering that someone tried to remove a badge from my car while parked at the train station, I would love to create a system just like this. Thinking camera, motion sensor, 3G dongle with reporting / remote login etc.

Would love to read the details if anyone has done this?

I was wondering about power, be great to solar power this if possible (solar charge battery, battery powers pi). Anyone done this?

Thanks folks!

ferniematt

Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:23 am

Im thinking about a project like this for myself.

First Plan:
-Ras Pi 3
-GPS
-Wifi
-4x20 LCD
-OBD2 Bluetooth
-VoltMeter

Possible Additions:
-Cameras
-4G

-Thinking about wire into the vehicle, Lock switch sends signal to GPIO can tell if doors are locked or unlocked.
-Motion is said to be hard on the cpu with cameras, what about door sensor, when the door is opened start recording or send message, if still locked(armed).
-also a movement sensor could be added, if the vehicle is shaken, moved, bumped, tilted (flat deck tow truck) send an alarm, send message, start recording.

Thing with noise alarms, no-one does anything about it these days, ford changed their alarm tone to sound like someone randomly honking the horn, not in a specific pattern because people have gotten used to false alarms. and no one wants to deal with a possible car thief with someone elses car. if we could create a pi program that can record, gps, send us a message we might be able to stop our vehicle from getting stolen, at least have evidence to prosecute!

Im a beginner coder, usually using copy-paste from google searches. but i would love to work on this project with others.
Bring Karma Points to the Forum.

Capt. Nemo

Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:25 pm

ShaunM wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:22 pm
I currently have a setup where I have a headless Pi, with a GPS, Bluetooth PAN, 4g GPRS, or Wifi. It currently logs all data, and sends to a server that live plots and maps my current location. The system had OBD II support and logging, but for some reason that's no longer functioning.
I think I also need this, can you tell me what I need in order to do this?

Return to “Other projects”