vickytang1

MotionEye vs Wyze camera?

Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:19 pm

Currently, I am looking to add few camera setup for my house. I do not want to spend crazy money on camera setup and want some flexibility. It come down to Pi MotionEye set up or Wyze. I bought (2) wyze cameras last night and i was amazed by what $25 could provide you with. However, it is still missing some big feature that I was looking for, such as (save the clip into local harddrive, and watching the clip on PC) and saving the clip on local drive is a big miss for me.

On the other hand, I have play with raspberry pi projects before and I am confident on setting up the software side of motioneye. however, the price of each pi camera will be higher ~$60(pi3) ~$35(pi zero w). and it will still leak of night recording/audio/etc. but it will provide me more flexibility on the setup and of course more fun project time. Also, if i go with Pi3, i could do hardwire for better quality video.

So here I am, looking for any experienced motioneye user or wyze users to give me advice. any pro and con? which one would you go with?

Thank you.

tropho

Re: MotionEye vs Wyze camera?

Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:32 pm

I highly recommend PiKrellcam instead of MotionEye. Though they both have pros and cons, I have used both and think PiKrellcam is the better solution for two reasons: high frame rate/high resolution and microphone support. I have four Pi 3A+-based cameras running Raspbian with PiKrellcam installed, and they work perfectly. In addition to the advantages I listed, PiKrellcam can initiate actions based on motion-detection events, and unlike MotionEye, PiKrellcam can also do it for audio-detection events. Sending SMS, Telegram, email, etc. based on scripted events are possible based on event detection as well.

MotionEye has one advantage over PiKrellcam: centralized management if you configure your cameras in Fast Camera mode, and use a separate MotionEye-based PC as the motion detection/recording hub. This allows higher framerates at higher resolutions, and there is even a development version that includes a H.264-based streaming option instead of the default mjpeg streaming. PiKrellcam also uses mjpeg to stream to the browser so they are about equal on that. However, MotionEye still lacks audio capture, though technically you can configure the H.264 beta version for audio capture but it's not perfect and loses audio/video sync over time. In my opinion that is unusable, but it is a testing/development version after all.

Like MotionEye, PiKrellcam can also save video to network storage so you can archive captured video and not have to keep it on the local storage device. Not only does this help save space, but it also ensures that your captured videos aren't lost if the camera is ripped off the wall or destroyed by someone.

Also, night vision is possible with a Raspberry Pi-based camera. If equipped with the proper camera type, such as the cameras I use that integrate a motorized IR cut mechanism to switch between NoIR (day) and IR (night) modes you can use it at any time of day or night. However, at night you will need to supply some kind of IR lighting so the camera can actually see in the dark. I used a combination of onboard IR LEDs for close up (faces) and an IR flood light (wide area) mounted well above the camera to illuminate my front yard and back deck areas.

Of course, as you mentioned a Raspberry Pi-based security camera solution will cost more than a Wyze/Nest/Blynk camera. However, you can configure it exactly how you need it, you don't need to pay any monthly fees for cloud storage (and handing over your video to someone else), you know exactly what hardware and software are used, and you have the fun of creating the project. I even purchased and learned to use a 3D printer so I could print custom enclosures for it. I've attached pictures of my latest version, which includes infrared (IR) LEDs and a high-sensitivity microphone that captures very clear audio from quite far away. I've also attached an example of still image quality (scaled to 50% size so I could upload it). My video is captured at 1640x1232 resolution (square 4:3 aspect ratio) and images at 3280x2464 (also 4:3) resolution. My 3D-printed enclosure might not be quite as slick looking as Wyze, Nest, etc. but I put a lot of time and thought into the design (and many prototypes) and think it looks pretty good. It's also the same size, or even smaller than store-bought models.
Attachments
PiKrellcam image quality (scaled down 50 percent).jpg
Still image quality
PiKrellcam image quality (scaled down 50 percent).jpg (244.22 KiB) Viewed 2302 times
IMG_20190731_170948169_HDR.jpg
3D printed case with IR LEDs integrated into an IR-cut capable camera, plus USB audio device with microphone
IMG_20190731_170948169_HDR.jpg (87.63 KiB) Viewed 2302 times
IMG_20190731_170957317_HDR.jpg
3D printed case with IR LEDs integrated into an IR-cut capable camera, plus USB audio device with microphone
IMG_20190731_170957317_HDR.jpg (89.22 KiB) Viewed 2302 times

tropho

Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:41 pm

Here's a screenshot of video captured at night using IR illumination.
Attachments
Night vision video screenshot.JPG
Night vision video screenshot.JPG (88.55 KiB) Viewed 2276 times

vickytang1

Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:30 pm

Thank you very much!! you are wonderful human. i think i will look into the Pi camera setup this weekend. It's just maybe too much if i have to use Noir camera, IR light, design my own case and find people to 3d print for me. (these parts usually not sell in my local store)

tropho

Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:20 pm

vickytang1 wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:30 pm
Thank you very much!! you are wonderful human. i think i will look into the Pi camera setup this weekend. It's just maybe too much if i have to use Noir camera, IR light, design my own case and find people to 3d print for me. (these parts usually not sell in my local store)
You're welcome, I'm glad to help. Before I purchased a 3D printer I used waterproof project boxes with clear lids, which look a bit boxy but work fine. I've attached a picture of one of my older versions, which used a Raspberry Pi Zero W and had no microphone or IR LEDs for night vision, requiring an IR flood light for night recording. A microphone would be possible if you modified the case and used silicone sealant to plug around the new hole you cut for it. This is only necessary if you want the camera mounted outdoors; if you are mounting them inside you don't even need a real case if you're okay with a bare board stuck to the wall.

Also I've included below a parts list for my current version, minus the 3D printer so you can determine whether this would be a good alternative to store-bought surveillance cameras. This is based on a Raspberry Pi 3A+, which works much better than the Pi Zero W (for me) for outdoor applications due to the much better WiFi performance using the 5Ghz band.

(All prices are in US dollars) $86.04 Total parts cost for a Pi 3A+ version (without case, tax or shipping costs)
$66.05 Total parts cost for a Pi Zero W version (without case, tax or shipping costs)

The type of project box I previously used for the Pi Zero W-based camera was this one: https://amazon.com/gp/product/B072JCQ64 ... =UTF8&th=1
Amazon used to sell a 3.3"x3.2"x2.2" size, which is what you see in my picture. You might be able to use a similar size that works or find another manufacturer that offers something close. Also you will need to take careful measurements of everything to determine what size box you will need to order. The box cost should be $10-15 each, depending on size. By the way, IR LEDs inside such a sealed case will reflect back into the lens and not work at all; I speak from my own experience!
Attachments
Pi Zero W camera 1.jpg
Pi Zero W camera 1.jpg (199.68 KiB) Viewed 2246 times
Last edited by tropho on Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:06 am, edited 3 times in total.

tropho

Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:26 pm

Here are some additional pictures I could not attach to my last post. One is my indoor version with a wall mount used as a tabletop stand, and the other is an outdoor version with an interior view. Both use a wide-angle, motorized IR-cut camera without IR LEDs attached, and are based on Raspberry Pi Zero W boards installed in custom cases I 3D printed. Oh, I've also learned how to make much better looking 3D prints now as well, so they are no longer so rough looking on the surfaces :D
Attachments
Pi Zero W camera indoor.jpg
Pi Zero W camera indoor.jpg (145.2 KiB) Viewed 2243 times
Pi Zero W camera outdoor 3D printed 1.jpg
Pi Zero W camera outdoor 3D printed 1.jpg (215.55 KiB) Viewed 2243 times
Pi Zero W camera outdoor 3D printed 2.jpg
Pi Zero W camera outdoor 3D printed 2.jpg (232.78 KiB) Viewed 2243 times

wjburl

Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:06 pm

tropho, Terrific cases you printed. I am trying to find a weatherproof/solar-powered solution for my RPi cameras. I just got an Arducam Day-Night Vision for Raspberry Pi Camera, Automatic IR-Cut Switching All-Day Image All-Model Support, IR LED for Low Light and Night Vision, M12 Lens Interchangeable, OV5647 5MP 1080P from Amazon. It worked well out of the box and I have it running with MotionEyeOS. It does everything automatically. There are two light sensors, one for the IR cut filter switching and one to turn on the IR illuminators. I would like to have a version of this unit with an 8MP camera, but I can't find one on the market. It's an all in one unit - no assembly required. I have no need for audio. I'll look into PiKrellcam.

I have a Wyse camera. I use iSpy on a Windows PC to control it and some D-Link IP cameras. I had to update the Wyze camera with RTSP firmware to do that and I have to reboot it too frequently. It's not weatherproof, so I have it sitting on a window sill inside the house.

wjburl

Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:57 pm

tropho, I like your 3D printed case for the motorized camera. Since I don't have a 3D printer, I have a project box on order similar to the one you used before you had a 3D printer (but larger for the IR illuminators and a RPi 3B+). Did you drill a hole in the clear plastic for the lens? If so, do you have any advice for drilling the hole? Did you do anything special to weatherproof it?

Gavinmc42

Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:07 am

I have used the alloy/glass cases from $10 500W halogen floodlights.
The plastic box section of the supermarket has some cases with very clear plastic for <$10
These can be watertight and quick to open.
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

Return to “Other projects”