DogTailRed2

Re: Controlling Electric Motors

Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:52 pm

Hi,

I was wondering if it will be possible to hook up multiple (1 to 4) small electric motors to the PI?

Perhaps Mobile Phone motors with the aim of animating a model aircrafts engines (could also be lights and sounds?).

So I was wondering if this would be possible (looks good from previous research) and if so what sort, how many and do I need to perform any electronic wizzardry myself?

The PI could then be mounted inside the models display base, powered by batts and activated, controlled remotely via a PC?

Is this doo-able?

Dog.

MINKIN2

Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:02 pm

We will have to see what we can dowit the Gert Board,  the demos for that does show it using step motors so it could be possible...

I do like your thinking though, I would love to build one of these with the Pi for a brain...

redman684

Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:12 pm

The GPIO pins can be used for that.

You can hook up devices like the gertboard, but some tiny motors and some leds will probably work directly on the pins just fine. I don't know the specifics, but I expect 20mA to be no problem, maybe even 40mA.

But I would advise yo to look into arduino first. The atMega chip of an arduino (or even similar atTiny chips) will be much more suitable for your project. You do not need the horsepower/size/price of the Pi and will probably be better of soldering $2 chips in your project.

Unless you want to include ethernet/wifi in you project or something?

Gert van Loo

Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:28 pm

We will have to see what we can dowit the Gert Board,  the demos for that does show it using step motors so it could be possible…

No. It is not a stepper motor. The motor on the video is a normal 12V DC motor.

Tyggerjai

Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:43 pm

Yeah, that's a pretty solid full bridge driver. And enough IO pins on the PIC to handle limit switches and encoders and the pin-intensive stuff. Should be a pretty solid base for a robot. One of my first projects will be porting some motor control stuff that currently uses arduinos - I'll keep the arduino for low level control like the PIC here, but ultimately the goal is to have the Pi masterminding an arbitrary number of motors.

Gert van Loo

Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:04 pm

Please read the Gertboard forum to keep up to date. The PIC is out ATmega328p (Arduino) is in. (And think Atmel should send me a free JTAGIC to thank for that )

Return to “Other projects”