HansH

Re: Custom case designs

Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:44 pm

I got carried away and I designed a case for the Raspberry Pi using openSCAD based

on the beta board dimensions Gert supplied in www.scribd.com/doc/ 77785093/R.....echanical

I have put all the (.scad and .stl) files on thingiverse, so you can use or improve it http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:16104

top has a small square for a logo sticker
top has a raster so you still can get wires in/out to the GPIO connectors and have a nice view
used the Beta board dimensions, perhaps sdslot and USB height will differ in production models
split case on connector height because every connector sticks out
used a little indent on the outside, so you could stack them up
used 2 screws for attaching the bottom and top shell
added 2 wallmount holes in the bottom shell

You can modify some options in the scad file to get a solid or a more open bottom.

Some pictures:

Perhaps someone has a 3D printer available ?

davidgoodenough

Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:35 pm

The only problem with this is that the top needs to be turned upside down in order to print it.  When you generate it all you need to do it a rotate([0,0,180]) and it will be right, but the printer will not cope with that level of overhang and the two mating lugs are not a sufficient bed to build it on.  Most RepRap host software can not do the rotation for you, it has to be done in openscad.

I have to pop out now, but when I get back I will try the two bases, and I will also rotate the top and print that and see how it goes.

HansH

Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:48 pm

I see what you mean…

I think both have to be rotated….otherwise it will print the feet first and then in free air the bottom hull…

So rotate([0,180,0]) should do the trick for both

davidgoodenough

Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:26 pm

No, Z (up) comes last, your rotate changes Y.

And the feet must go, or be added after (stick on rubber feet are easy to get) for the same reason, just build up from the flat base.

It also seems to need very large amounts of filament, I am unsure why, it may be that got confused.

I will edit the scad file and see what I get.

davidgoodenough

Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:48 pm

Actually the bevel around the base must also go, the base (and the top once rotated) needs to be entirely flat.

HansH

Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:54 pm

davidgoodenough said:

Actually the bevel around the base must also go, the base (and the top once rotated) needs to be entirely flat.

Yep, I get it, totally flat and supported as you go up..

Indeed the feet should go, and the indent on the base also, so you get a flat start.

Thx, for helping out

HansH

Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:28 pm

Modified the scad file, added it to thingiverse as a RaspberyyPi_v2.scad

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1610

HansH

Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:44 am

Modified the scad file, added it to thingiverse as a RaspberyyPi_v3.scad

- smoother corners

- option for rotating the top shellhttp://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1610

davidgoodenough

Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:32 am

I built the V2 top and bottom yesterday.  A few of points:-

When you do a cut out, make the bit you are removing a bit bigger and then when you press F5 in openscad you will not get those annoying very thin leftovers.  So if you are making a pipe make the inner cylinder 2mm longer than the outer one and translate it so that is starts 1mm before the outer one.  Makes the model cleaner to view.
The two slots (one is the SD card) on the bottom short edge are a problem, they will sag.  You need to modify it so that the slice point (at least on that edge) is lower, in fact it need not be flat and it should mean that both holes are now slots and no longer holes.
The two alignment flanges on the long sides are too thin, and will not work.  Given the change in 2) above I would suggest having three fixing lugs, one at the other end from the sd card (as currently) and then two on the SD card end of the long sides.

The parts I built exposed an alignment error on my RepRap so I will have to fix that before I can produce proper ones, but that is not a problem.

Obviously like the rest of the world I do not have a Pi to test the fit.

The two parts together used about 4m of 3mm filament, so that is just a bit over £1 of plastic.  As a rough guide I usually reconn that when you add in electricity and time to watch over it and clean up the result you should about double that.  So this gives raw cost of for this of about £2.50.  The filled base option would increase this a bit (I did the slotted base).

HansH

Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:18 pm

David, great !!

Yes the short back with power and sd space should be different

I will try to seperate them differently

Also I will remove those alignment flanges on the long sides, they were indeed a bit small

I also have now a frame only version, so you can use a clear acrylix sheet as base

Is the wall thickness ok ?

Well £2.50 does not sound very expensive ( atleast if you have a RepRap

Yes, wait for a Pi and see if the dimensions are correct for the production version.

I expect some changes for the SD and perhaps the USB socket

davidgoodenough

Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:27 pm

I built mine using natural PLA (which is translucent but not transparent), and the resulting model is solid and feels OK.  The walls seem to be a good thickness, neither too thick or too thin.

I suggest when you remove the flanges that you add in two fixing lugs (the places where you screw the two halves together) in their place, then you can remove the one next to the SD card slot when you move the division line between top and bottom.

HansH

Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:54 pm

Ok, uploaded v4 to http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1610

Changes:

Different levels of case split (to make it 3d printable)
Added frame mode (so no bottom and top deck)
screw locations due to split and added some support structures
Unsure about 2nd screw location in combination with GPIO pins

Looks strange now, with the different levels of splitting the case....

HansH

Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:38 pm

Again, new versions...

Uploaded last version v7 to http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1610

Many alterations:

pcb+connector layout can be drawn
low case optimisations , lowest case is now 20.3 mm high
most leftovers are removed
colors can be defined

Low height case picture:

David, can you check it out, if it is ok for 3D printing ?

HansH

Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:09 pm

Again, new version…

Uploaded last version v9 to http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1610

Adapted pcb dimensions, board is really 56mm width
Added dxf file with Raspberry Pi logo, logo can be using in he middle or using the whole deck.
Adapted support studs, moved some due to pcb component location
Components locations adapted
Added option to put logo in middle or using whole deck

HansH

Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:12 pm

Got 2 of the cases printed on a RepRap 3D printer.

They should arrive next week, but the one who did the printing made a nice picture of it:

Wall are 2mm thick,  left 2 parts are the frame, in which you can use the middle 2 parts as a deck (or you can use perspex)

Right 2 parts form together a low profile case

mrlinux2u

Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:53 pm

@HansH

What files do I need to download for the low profile case (I downloaded the raspberrypi_lo.stl file to get a quote for printing and it appeared as one solid case)?

Do you have an .stl file for each half of the case?

Cheers

mrlinux2u

mrlinux2u

Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:05 pm

@HansH

My bad, downloaded the openscad file and exported the two half's as separate .stl files.

Will let you know the price of printing if anyone's interested.

Cheers

mrlinux2u

HansH

Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:47 pm

mrlinux2u said:

@HansH

My bad, downloaded the openscad file and exported the two half's as separate .stl files.

Will let you know the price of printing if anyone's interested.

sry I missed your post, the best is to use the scad file, and try out the different settings

you can modify the heigth which will be available for the underneath pcb and above components

Currently it is guess work, especially the room required below the pcb.

I have received the 2 cases, done with a reprap printer, and it is unbelieveble how tiny those cases are.... now I can image how difficult it must have been for the pcb with that large connectors on it...

Since I have a full height box and a low profile one , I can also mix parts and see what fits better.

The screw holes to fasten the top/bottom half are a mistake, its too tiny/fragile.

But even without using screws the top/bottom are held together through the side studs

The reprap version costed about 16 euro's (I got 2 for the price of one)

If you can print yourself or with a friend, probably it will only costs about 2 euro on material...

Tomorrow I wil also getting a shapeways version, which has very thin walls (1mm) and with different top/bottom connections. Didn't publish the scad version for it yet, first want to see if it comes out correctly.

Height is only 2cm, usb sticks further out and fits in the bottom of a next case, so you can stack them.

Bottom is open to save costs, only some small screwholes to able to mount it somewhere. With Shapeways the costs are about 16 - 17 euro

This design cannot be printed by a 3D printer like the RepRap. You need a printer which can do 1mm walls and very small details and  which also works with unsupported structures (like the sd opening)

mrlinux2u

Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:37 pm

@HansH

Thanks for the info, I'm still waiting for 3 more quotes for the v9 scad file (like the look of it - very professional looking)

I'll keep track of this post and see how things progress for you - but i'll post any quote costs I get just to let people know.

Cheers

mrlinux2u

HansH

Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:10 pm

mrlinux2u said:

Thanks for the info, I'm still waiting for 3 more quotes for the v9 scad file (like the look of it – very professional looking)

I'll keep track of this post and see how things progress for you – but i'll post any quote costs I get just to let people know.

Received the shapeway case, very well finished.

Top and bottom part fits like a glove, connector holes are very good done

Put the shapeway version in public and I adjusted the design a bit:

- made the case a bit higher, so that only the usb goes through the top

this will make the top a bit stiffer, more room for the logo

- made the side studs a bit thicker

- made screwholes in bottom a little larger

- made the logo a bit larger.

Because the case is now a bit larger, more material is used, so it is a bit more expensive, a little more than 19 Euro (including VAT)   see : http://www.shapeways.com/model....._case.html

I will check the thingiverse version for a 3D printer tomorrow and see if it needs any adapting.

@mrlinux2u

let me know what kind of price you get…

Make sure you know how it gets printed, and what kind of wall thickness you use.

2 mm walls for a 3D printer like RepRap gets you a nice sturdy case

The 1mm walls I used for the shapeways version are less stiff, but still ok

mrlinux2u

Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:20 pm

@HansH

I've had 2 quotes back from 3d printing services and they are just too expensive (over 2x the cost of you shapeways print) - still waiting on 2 (one from reprappro.com).

Who did you use for the reprap versions?

Finally, if it's not to cheeky, how easy would it be to have a solid bottom on the low profile case (just thinking of keeping as much dust out as possilbe - but love the new top with the logo and vent slots)

Cheers

mrlinux2u

HansH

Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:58 am

I had my first 2 cases done by company which sells 3d printers.

I don"t know if they want to be flooded with 3D printing request, so I don"t mention the company name here.

Original they gave me a price for 1 case (with 2mm walls) of 16.80 euro and 6.xx euro airmail costs (netherlands), and I ordered 2 different case versions, so I could compare.

They were very helpfull, they even gave me 2 cases for the price of one because they saw that it was not 100% perfect coming out of his 3D printer.

Case quality:

- walls are very good, solid, firm, smooth outside

- fitting is less, if I put the 2 parts together, left and right side differ 1 mm in height

This has probably has to do with different heights I use for the case to get everything   supported, and some of those heights are a bit different because of the RepRap resolution. So or I have to change the height a bit, for getting the same RepRap resolution, or I have to shave/smooth them a bit of…

- screwholes for fastening top and bottom are way to small, I need to remove them. makes it to fragile. But I have no idea how to fasten them… although the side studs are currently firmly holding the parts together.

- logo is not possible, because it is a unsupported structure.

I will see what I can change for the v9 version. The biggest problem is locations of the back sd slot and power hole… and the height of splitting the case. Probably gonna make the power hole much higher.

The shapeway version is not as smooth, you feel the powder, but the resolution is fantastic, everything is very sharp and fits exactly.

I find the 1mm a bit thin, its a bit flexible, and I think I can break it more easily

The RepRap version is far more solid..

So perhaps I can put up a thicker version on shapeways, but it then will cost more and I am not sure if I want to pay that much….

Already spent too much on cases without having a Pi

Will put up some variations on shapeways, closed bottom, thicker walls, if people want to try it out. Perhaps they can share some experience….

mrlinux2u

Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:52 pm

@HansH

Thanks very much for your detailed info regarding the reprap and the shapeways version.

looking at the prices I'm getting back for profession 3d-printing, I'm gonna either go with your shapeways version (the cheapest 3d printing price i've seen so far), or I'll try your reprap version (love the new V10 look by the way - with and without the logo).

And let's hope we don't have too long to wait to get our hands on the actual Pi

Cheers

mrlinux2u

mrlinux2u

Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:39 pm

@HannsH

I've had some prices for 3d printing your cases and so far they are in excess of £50 each (asked for quotes from 3d printing services in the UK). I'm still waiting for a quote from a reprap printing service (which I hope will be more affordable), but it looks like your shapeways design is the cheapest (even the 1.4mm wall version) by a long way.

If I get a quote for the reprap printing service I'll let you know, but it does look like your shapeways version is the one i'm gonna go for.

Cheers for now

mrlinux2u

HansH

Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:47 pm

Well normal Adrian is quite quick in responding, I think the reprappro version should cost you about 20 euro excl shipping.

Perhaps you can also ask on one of the reprap forums, if someone can print one...

Probably I am gonna order also a 1.4mm version with a closed bottom from Shapeways.

It costs a bit more, but then I can see if I placed all the support structures on the correct places underneath the pcb.

And I can adapt it when needed as soon as I get a Pi and compare the thickess with the 1mm version.

Return to “Other projects”