dajefortee

Raspberry pi as packet sniffing tool

Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:59 pm

Hi,

I have a school project and the aim is to load test a Rpi as a packet sniffing tool.

I'm looking for a tutorial or advice.

For now, I just connected two laptops via ethernet cable with the Rpi but I do now know how to start packet exchanging....any suggestion?

B.Goode

Re: Raspberry pi as packet sniffing tool

Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:35 pm

Welcome to the Raspberry Pi forums.

General advice: before you can meaningfully 'sniff' (ie. monitor) the traffic on a network it is helpful to have a basic understanding of the data communication protocols being used on that network.

For a network composed of two Linux workstations the usual choice of protocols would be those known as TCP/IP. But this is not mandatory.

Wireshark and tcpdump are two tools commonly used for network monitoring.

dajefortee

Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:08 am

Great!

I managed to connect two Windows workstation, changing the protocol setting.

Now the two computers are connected and communicate, in between there is my Rpi. Now how can I monitor the traffic, I found out something about Wireshark but each suggestion is welcome.

Thanks for the great support!

hesam_m

Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:37 pm

Maybe there are some python libraries to work with Network protocols

DarkPlatinum

Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:39 pm

dajefortee wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:08 am
Great!

I managed to connect two Windows workstation, changing the protocol setting.

Now the two computers are connected and communicate, in between there is my Rpi. Now how can I monitor the traffic, I found out something about Wireshark but each suggestion is welcome.

Thanks for the great support!
If you planning on using the Raspberry Pi for cyber security reasons, I would recommend looking online for Kali Linux on Raspberry pi image. (Sorry don't have a link on hand)
1 * Raspberry Pi Zero W, 1 * Raspberry Pi 2, 1 * Raspberry Pi 3 1 * Raspberry Pi 3B + :mrgreen:

Check Out My Raspberry Site (Run on a Raspberry Pi 3B :) ): Https://Html.dynu.net

omegaman477

Fri May 17, 2019 7:57 am

dajefortee wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:59 pm
Hi,

I have a school project and the aim is to load test a Rpi as a packet sniffing tool.

I'm looking for a tutorial or advice.

For now, I just connected two laptops via ethernet cable with the Rpi but I do now know how to start packet exchanging....any suggestion?
Just remember that the RPI Ethernet interface is actually connected to the CPU via r=the sad old USB2 bus. So your not going to get Gigabit/s throughput. With good efficient sampling code, the 3B+ CPU will likely outperform the ethernet NIC. So your limitation will be because of the NIC.

A good article on RPI Ethernet speeds. https://www.jeffgeerling.com/blogs/jeff ... networking
..the only thing worse than a stupid question is a question not asked.

Return to “Other projects”