drifterf

Proximity fob based game around the town

Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:13 pm

Hi. Right so just quickly around our town these beat the street boxes have just shown up. It's a game that works in the following way

You get given a access proximity fob.

It tracks the distance between each box (which is normally mounted on a lamppost)

You can track you use with a simple web page and your proximity key code number.

The top users get a prize etc but it's not really a game as such.

I thought this would be Good to use this idea of giving people a prox fob and making some pi based units and fit them around town. I can do all the programming and making etc but need a idea to make people interested in it ?

Maybe like a game is risk or something but in real life etc.

Any ideas welcome please

drifterf

Re: Proximity fob based game around the town

Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:16 pm

I came up with a quick idea of a game of "hide and seek"

Create the box and mount it somewhere in town. When someone finds it they put there fob on it and gives us the details of the user. They can then choose a location for it to be hidden etc

PhatFil

Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:45 pm

overlay the real town map with a fantasy representation, and change the fantasy map every week/month for a different game (advertising campaign) No need for fobs really unless your selling them at a profit, just get folk to register their phones b/tooth mac addy and walk around with b/tooth on (install your app)..

am i too cynical?

drifterf

Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:48 pm

Loving the idea. This would be a good, overlay the real town with fantasy map ? What would the game idea be ?

PiGraham

Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:59 pm

drifterf wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:48 pm
Loving the idea. This would be a good, overlay the real town with fantasy map ? What would the game idea be ?
Isn't this basically a classic treasure hunt or geocache game? Or, ah, pokemon go.
There are apps that do those.

If players have smartphones with GPS you probably don't need tags or hardware to scan them. The app knows who and where and the camera could scan QR codes if you need more than a GPS fix to confirm a location/action.

I think Beat the street does not require smart phones to play so it's a different philosophy better suited to getting people active.
Last edited by PiGraham on Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

drifterf

Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:00 pm

Yeh I agree but I think people would like more a physical thing such as the fob (I talked to a few elderly people today who like it but don't have smart phones but have a pc at home)

Thanks

PiGraham

Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:18 am

If you go for readers around town you will need to sort out power and mounting sites. Council workers are likely to remove things attached to lampposts without permission, you would technically be damaging property if you screwed things to someone's wall without permission and there is always the risk of theft or vandalism.

A Pi uses too much power to be self-contained with battery power. I assume you will want this to run for at least weeks at a time without maintenance so you will need something that has a deep sleep mode. An ESP32 board might suit.

Another option could be to place the readers in helpful shops, cafes, libraries etc. This provides protection and a source of power and probably a Wi-Fi connection. An RFID reader should work through window glass so players could access the reader out of business hours.
This might be beneficial to the business since it encourages people to visit their premises. It might be possible to work out business promotions to tie-in with the tag game.

hippy

Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:23 pm

PiGraham wrote:
This might be beneficial to the business since it encourages people to visit their premises.
"Footfall Frenzy" (TM) ... now there's an idea.

Of course one has to have the Pi's with the required bits-n-bobs and if one has 100 locations that's getting close to £5K investment.

It would probably be best to consider any such venture as a commercial business and do it as such, gaining the protection of being a business, a limited company, rather than risk exposure as an individual.

PiGraham

Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:44 pm

hippy wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:23 pm
PiGraham wrote:
This might be beneficial to the business since it encourages people to visit their premises.
"Footfall Frenzy" (TM) ... now there's an idea.

Of course one has to have the Pi's with the required bits-n-bobs and if one has 100 locations that's getting close to £5K investment.

It would probably be best to consider any such venture as a commercial business and do it as such, gaining the protection of being a business, a limited company, rather than risk exposure as an individual.
I like the name. :D
But I think something could be done small scale. Say five to ten readers on a free trial basis and relocated to different premises to keep the challenge fresh.

Your comments about a commercial venture are sound but I'd 'market test' it first to try the water. Will anyone play it? Will retailers buy in to the concept, for gain or community (if that is a goal)? How hard is it to maintain it as an enjoyable game that gets repeat plays?

Return to “Other projects”